Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by etiene
Also seems to suggest that Privium can only bypass queues once inside the building - if it's outside you're meant to wait in it.
But the email also states:

"If it is busy, we advise you to use the Privium gates in Departure Hall 1 (behind check-in rows 3/4) and Departure Hall 2 (behind check-in row 9) for all flights. This way, you will not end up in any queues outside."

Instead of clarifying matters, they are sowing confusion.

Johan
etiene likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by l2travel2
I am flying ORD-AMS-DEL on July 2 returning DEL-AMS-ORD on Jul 18. My layover in AMS is 7 hours on Jul 2 and 2 hours on Jul 18. Do you think that will be enough time for security
No security on the outbound, and you will have plenty of time to kill anyway. Security on the way back, but if your DEL - AMS arrives on schedule you should have sufficient time.

Johan
l2travel2 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by yno
Schiphol says the situation will be easier in August: https://www.nu.nl/economie/6209474/s...te-kunnen.html
i.e. they will be able to cater for 73000 passenger per day instead of 72500...
Let's cross fingers, decided to Fly Delta premium select in order to have sky priority and limit the damage ;-)
Lelystad question was pushed back for another two years. No more reason to maintain the pressure tactic, however, they have to ease off it, can't just bring the airport up to speed immediately. There still is throughput time even if they start properly hiring now.

Email from Privium. Most noteworthy is this paragraph:

Which does sound like the devaluation that we were assuming was a poor agent upthread: Privium only feeding into the Priority queue, rather than being a separate [and shorter] one. Remains to be seen whether they actually rearrange the tensa barriers and/or police it as such.
That is not a (new) devaluation, this is how it has worked for years. During the initial stages of managed chaos, sometimes the line was separated, new members might have gotten an idea it's supposed to be like that.
It's not.

Also seems to suggest that Privium can only bypass queues once inside the building - if it's outside you're meant to wait in it. How have they been handling rail arrivals if the queue is out of the building: blocking the escalators/staircases inside...?
I've not been checked from the rail station yet. There have been some reports that occasionally there is some staff to check but much more common report is that nobody checks at Schiphol Plaza.

Hello,
Looking for some advice from frequent flyers of Schiphol.... I am flying ORD-AMS-DEL on July 2 returning DEL-AMS-ORD on Jul 18. My layover in AMS is 7 hours on Jul 2 and 2 hours on Jul 18. Do you think that will be enough time for security or should I look at rebooking options preemptively? I have US passport if that matters.
Thanks!
We have had no reports from transfer security, and I believe in this case no news means good news. Do you have priority?

Originally Posted by johan rebel

"If it is busy, we advise you to use the Privium gates in Departure Hall 1 (behind check-in rows 3/4) and Departure Hall 2 (behind check-in row 9) for all flights. This way, you will not end up in any queues outside."

Johan
Interesting they talk about Privium gates behind check-in 3/4. Unlike the normal BP scanners, the Privium gates were not actually blocked by a barrier. I wonder if that would be a feasible shortcut for Privium folks to Prio on Dep 1 side.
I shall try on Sunday.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:29 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold

Johan
I think that the "you will not end up in any queues outside" refers to the lines for security that loop outside as the terminal is too crowded to keep the queue indoors.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
That is not a (new) devaluation, this is how it has worked for years. During the initial stages of managed chaos, sometimes the line was separated, new members might have gotten an idea it's supposed to be like that.
It's not.
This doesn't match my experience in Departures 2 [all the last year, but predating "the chaos"] - there has been a separate tensa lane for Privium which goes hard right immediately to the scanners, whereas the "Priority" gates [which aren't actually triaging Priority access] go into a tensa-snake so that it can accommodate more people. I believe this is the location described upthread by johan and that would seem to correlate with his description.

Departures 3 has been as you describe through my three years of membership - the priority gates and the Privium gate both lead to the same tensa-snake [never actually had to wait though]. I can't recall having used Departures 1 with Privium and I think 4 just went into the same queue but I'm not sure.

I can imagine the vast majority of Priority access is at D2 due to the SP desks, so maybe this was just an unofficial setup to queue jump the Privium members there? I don't believe anyone has reported that the tensa layout has changed yet either - merely that a queue dragon was redirecting people and now that Privium are emailing on the subject.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
I've gone through 1A, 1, temporary 1 even, 2 and 3 many times during the last couple of years, and at no time do I remember not being in the same line with non-Privium prio pax. I did not use the back entrance much though until recently TBH, but I did use it a couple of times after Dep 1 was closed for remodelling.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I think that the "you will not end up in any queues outside" refers to the lines for security that loop outside as the terminal is too crowded to keep the queue indoors.
Yes, but the mail also says:

"Are you travelling and are there any queues outside the departure hall? At very busy times, it is not yet possible for you and your fellow travellers to directly enter the departure hall due to crowd control measures."

Now the crypto-commies can remain outside for ever as far as I'm concerned, but what exactly is the deal for Privium members?

That email is not a model of clarity, which is exactly what it should have been.

Johan
Xandrios likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This doesn't match my experience in Departures 2 [all the last year, but predating "the chaos"] - there has been a separate tensa lane for Privium which goes hard right immediately to the scanners, whereas the "Priority" gates [which aren't actually triaging Priority access] go into a tensa-snake so that it can accommodate more people. I believe this is the location described upthread by johan and that would seem to correlate with his description.
Yes, it is.

Johan
etiene likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Go to https://www.schiphol.nl/en/
Enter your flight details and select the correct date
See what time they recommend arriving
They just say 'peak day' but I guess since it's too far in the future they don't let me choose the specific flight that day. Anyone know from experience what the queues are like on midweek evenings? I've heard that most holiday flights leave in the morning, so perhaps it wouldn't be too bad?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:06 pm

Yes, but the mail also says:

"Are you travelling and are there any queues outside the departure hall? At very busy times, it is not yet possible for you and your fellow travellers to directly enter the departure hall due to crowd control measures."

Now the crypto-commies can remain outside for ever as far as I'm concerned, but what exactly is the deal for Privium members?
I am also firmly of the opinion that such people (and SkyPriority pax) can simply avoid the line outside by going through plaza.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hello,
Looking for some advice from frequent flyers of Schiphol.... I am flying ORD-AMS-DEL on July 2 returning DEL-AMS-ORD on Jul 18. My layover in AMS is 7 hours on Jul 2 and 2 hours on Jul 18. Do you think that will be enough time for security or should I look at rebooking options preemptively? I have US passport if that matters.
Thanks!
7 hour layover at AMS seems like major overkill to me. On the way to India, there is no general security re-screening bottleneck at AMS to prevent you from getting to the DEL-bound flight gate on time.

Even 2 hour layover at AMS on the way from DEL to the US should work fine — and that is even with the required passenger re-screening at AMS. But don’t count on time to waste around shopping a lot or taking a long shower.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
Hello,
Thanks!
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
We have had no reports from transfer security, and I believe in this case no news means good news. Do you have priority?
A couple days ago there was an article on the Points Guy, where one of their writers transited on KLM ACC-AMS-JFK. He was in business class, but they closed the Priority lane shortly before he got to the front. He said it took about 1.5 hours to go through security. So I guess transfer security also sometimes has issues. That is my concern. In a few weeks I am traveling CPT-AMS-ORD. Due to progressive schedule changes, my layover has now shrunk to 1 hour. I am traveling in J and have STE+, so hopefully the Priority lane is open. It does look like the second flight has had more delays than the first, so maybe it could work?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:56 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Warning: travelling Monday 4th July2022 from Dutch airports

Spoiler

Protests / demonstrations / road blocks expected to/from/at all Dutch Airports
due to farmers protesting about government rules about nitrogen exhaust:

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2022/0...ministers-say/

sources:

https://www.nieuweoogst.nl/nieuws/20...havens-maandag

https://www.parool.nl/nederland/boer...w.google.nl%2Fhttps://www.hartvannederland.nl/nieu...and-platleggen

https://www.boerderij.nl/oproep-4-ju...nederland-plat

https://www.ad.nl/binnenland/boeren-...w.google.nl%2F

if you need to reach any airports:
take the train or stay close at a hotel

Last edited by HadesNL; Jul 1, 2022 at 10:00 am
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:16 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Titanium; *A Gold
Thanks for all the great info in this thread. Arrived by Uber and was dropped off downstairs since it was very busy upstairs.

We we joined the huge queue line outside, but eventually asked someone about sky priority access and they told us to go across from door F. Once through there we queued to go up the stairs (behind SP check-in) and through security. They queued us at the bottom of the stairs and then there was a separate priority security line that we went through upstairs.

Xandrios and HadesNL like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:52 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by MasterPengs
Thanks for all the great info in this thread. Arrived by Uber and was dropped off downstairs since it was very busy upstairs.

We we joined the huge queue line outside, but eventually asked someone about sky priority access and they told us to go across from door F. Once through there we queued to go up the stairs (behind SP check-in) and through security. They queued us at the bottom of the stairs and then there was a separate priority security line that we went through upstairs.
Thank you for your update. Once upstairs, did you notice if Privium and SP passengers were all send to the same line or was Privium separate?
In the recent weeks I have found myself sometimes sent straight to the right as Privium, with maybe 1-4 people ahead of me, or merged with the SP much larger crowd of 50+ people zig-zagging ahead of me. When you combine that with more than half of the bags going to secondary it can mean a very big difference in the time it takes to get through security (still way way better than for any non-status passenger, I know)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.