FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

Biscoff27 Jun 29, 2022 9:36 pm

With a KLM trip from the USA to CPT next month, I am trying to better understand what will happen during my AMS layover. In prior non Schengen to non Schengen transfers at AMS, I do not remember going through security. However, I was reading a recent TPG article where the writer was traveling ACC-AMS-JFK. He described chaos going through security in AMS. Are there some locations that have to go through security in AMS with NS-NS transfers? Schedule changes have shrunk my layover coming back from CPT several times.

CyBeR Jun 30, 2022 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Biscoff27 (Post 34382640)
Are there some locations that have to go through security in AMS with NS-NS transfers?

Yes, and that is in fact the norm, but fortunately for you the US is not one of them.

nk15 Jun 30, 2022 12:56 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR (Post 34382863)
Yes, and that is in fact the norm, but fortunately for you the US is not one of them.

I would have thought that NS-NS to the US in AMS would be the highest security flights...

FlyingBlonde89 Jun 30, 2022 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34381218)
ITA is part of SkyTeam. ITA Elite Plus should have SkyPriority, assuming they finally managed to integrate.

They had a status matching scheme that has since expired. They're not properly integrated on the same loyalty program so I wouldn't expect access.

Their loyalty program is 'Volare' even though they're a SkyTeams airline.

jerry_greece Jun 30, 2022 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Anish (Post 34379924)
Flying AMS-HEL next week and then onwards to India. Do Finnair Business class passengers have access to any priority lanes for Terminal entrance?

Based on this yes they do.

Nik_Jr Jun 30, 2022 2:23 am

Curious if StarAlliance eligible guests still can't use priority lanes. Last I heard that it's capacity related, so only SkyPriority/SkyTeam eligible guests. I'm HON with LX, but tempted to just buy a KL ticket to use the SkyPriority lanes this Sunday morning...

etiene Jun 30, 2022 2:25 am

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 34382903)
I would have thought that NS-NS to the US in AMS would be the highest security flights...

To the US, you're right. From the US is considered a clean arrival - so no security.

Originally Posted by FlyingBlonde89 (Post 34382950)
They had a status matching scheme that has since expired. They're not properly integrated on the same loyalty program so I wouldn't expect access.

Alliances don't share loyalty programmes [though individual airlines might]. Alliances do recognise statuses in other member's programmes. The wrinkle the OP was asking about is whether one is allowed to have one programme in the reservation for credit while using another for benefits. I know some airlines disallow this, but don't know if KL are one of them.

ETA: friend flying out on KL in Y with his family this morning at 10. Was aiming to arrive around 7, made the gate with 20 minutes to spare after 45 minutes for bag drop and 90 for security.

Xandrios Jun 30, 2022 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Nik_Jr (Post 34383006)
Curious if StarAlliance eligible guests still can't use priority lanes. Last I heard that it's capacity related, so only SkyPriority/SkyTeam eligible guests. I'm HON with LX, but tempted to just buy a KL ticket to use the SkyPriority lanes this Sunday morning...

The whole priority situation for *A is somewhat tricky at the moment. There have been reports of *A business class/elites being allowed to make use of the KLM priority security entrance, however we are very light on reviews/confirmations on that. So theoretically there should be priority security for *A, however I'd guess that bringing extra non-status pax when flying economy is not going to be allowed. They do a manual BP check these days.

Fabo.sk Jun 30, 2022 4:30 am

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 34382903)

The security depends on where you arrive from, not where you are going. I mean, you are all going through the same door, how would Schiphol even be able to route pax to the US differently than pax to say UK or Croatia?

Basically, outside EU and Schengen, you arrive from the US, Canada, UK, Singapore (on the direct non-stop flight) you are considered secure arrival.

Originally Posted by FlyingBlonde89 (Post 34382950)

Status matching program has nothing to do with anything. Most SkyTeam airlines have their own programs, FB is a bit of an exception.

Star alliance eligible pax have always been able to use priority lanes. There were a couple days at the beginning of the mess this summer where priority policing broke down, but all kinds of priority passengers were turned away, including Privium. The situation is back to normal now.

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 34383078)
The whole priority situation for *A is somewhat tricky at the moment. There have been reports of *A business class/elites being allowed to make use of the KLM priority security entrance, however we are very light on reviews/confirmations on that. So theoretically there should be priority security for *A, however I'd guess that bringing extra non-status pax when flying economy is not going to be allowed. They do a manual BP check these days.

In theory, you might be sent from the back entrance to SP zone to go to priority entrance at the stairs. This will still be faster than general admission, however there is a portion where you would have to either elbow your way through non-prio pax or go up the stairs at the same rate as they do. You can enter priority lane once you emerge up the stairs.
In practice, you can enter via back of SP zone and you will be checked for eligibility and pass upstairs. Do not go through the front entrance to the SP zone, you will be turned away as you have no basis to enter the priority checkin zone.

TGW5 Jun 30, 2022 5:00 am

Hi, I'm considering taking a Schengen flight at 19:45 on 13/07 (Wednesday). The issue is that the earliest I can get to Schiphol is around 16:45, maybe slightly earlier if I'm lucky, so around 3 hours before, and that's assuming all the trains are running smoothly (though that shouldn't delay me by more than 10-15 mins hopefully, given how frequently they run). Anyway, given it's the evening in the middle of the week, do you think 3 hours is enough, or too risky and I should just fly the following day? I don't have any sort of priority. Thanks

irishguy28 Jun 30, 2022 5:20 am

Originally Posted by TGW5 (Post 34383287)
Hi, I'm considering taking a Schengen flight at 19:45 on 13/07 (Wednesday). The issue is that the earliest I can get to Schiphol is around 16:45, maybe slightly earlier if I'm lucky, so around 3 hours before, and that's assuming all the trains are running smoothly (though that shouldn't delay me by more than 10-15 mins hopefully, given how frequently they run). Anyway, given it's the evening in the middle of the week, do you think 3 hours is enough, or too risky and I should just fly the following day? I don't have any sort of priority. Thanks

Go to https://www.schiphol.nl/en/
Enter your flight details and select the correct date
See what time they recommend arriving

westi2002 Jun 30, 2022 7:34 am

You can always buy a full flex BC ticket, go through security and cancel the ticket before departure.

yno Jun 30, 2022 8:19 am

Schiphol says the situation will be easier in August: https://www.nu.nl/economie/6209474/s...te-kunnen.html
i.e. they will be able to cater for 73000 passenger per day instead of 72500... :D
Let's cross fingers, decided to Fly Delta premium select in order to have sky priority and limit the damage ;-)

etiene Jun 30, 2022 9:11 am

Email from Privium. Most noteworthy is this paragraph:

The waiting time is the same for all travellers within the Priority Waiting Area. This waiting time may also be longer than you are used to, but you will always pass through security check more quickly than regular travellers. Please note that the Privium card can only be used by the cardholder. It is your personal card.
Which does sound like the devaluation that we were assuming was a poor agent upthread: Privium only feeding into the Priority queue, rather than being a separate [and shorter] one. Remains to be seen whether they actually rearrange the tensa barriers and/or police it as such.

Also seems to suggest that Privium can only bypass queues once inside the building - if it's outside you're meant to wait in it. How have they been handling rail arrivals if the queue is out of the building: blocking the escalators/staircases inside...?

l2travel2 Jun 30, 2022 9:37 am

Hello,
Looking for some advice from frequent flyers of Schiphol.... I am flying ORD-AMS-DEL on July 2 returning DEL-AMS-ORD on Jul 18. My layover in AMS is 7 hours on Jul 2 and 2 hours on Jul 18. Do you think that will be enough time for security or should I look at rebooking options preemptively? I have US passport if that matters.
Thanks!