Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 17, 22, 5:33 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: irishguy28
Wiki Link
The latest suggestions and state of the Mess in Amsterdam of Summer '22 - short staffing and security issues.

Starting late April/early May 2022, Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is showing signs of chronic, and at times extreme, overcrowding. This thread is dedicated largely to the discussion of the same.

We have created this wiki to have a single point of reference, updated periodically with tips, tricks and reports of current state.

Bottlenecks

As of June 2nd, there are 2 bottlenecks at the airport.
1. Entrance to the terminal building from outside (arrival by car)
2. Security checks.

As of June 20th, unsatisfactory situation has been reported also on all arrival passport checks.

Tips to deal with Entrance to the terminal building lines

As of July 3rd, you could enter the terminal from train station without hindrance. On travel heavy days, consider getting dropped off at Hoofdorp, Zuid or Lelylaan and taking a train one station instead.
Privium holders are reportedly able to bypass lines by showing the Privium card.
Note: Schiphol is sometimes limiting access to passengers 4 hours before the flight, both from outside and through Schiphol plaza.
The checks do happen, but you are very likely to be able to bypass them from Schiphol Plaza (arrival by train or bus) by using the lift or stairs instead of inclined travelators.

Tips to deal with Security lines

There are currently three departure checkpoints into the main terminal area (plus one for the lowcost wing). Departures 1 and 2 are used for Schengen flights, Departures 2 and 3 for non-Schengen. (You can, however, turn left after leaving checkpoint for Departures 1 and reach exit control).
You don't have to use the checkpoint in your airlines departure area, so check if one of the other ones has a shorter line. However keep in mind that transfer passport control might bring additional delay.
If you have priority, ignore the main entrances to the checkpoints, particularly 1 and 2. Especially ignore the line for the stairs to checkpoint 2. Enter via SkyPriority zone, either via front if you have STE+/SP, or via back from Oversized Baggage point. There is a Privium card reader if you are a holder, alternatively sneak by opening one-way gate by hand.
The stairs at the back of SP zone are now official and only access point for priority for Schengen. The position is manned and access rules are strictly enforced.
Once upstairs, you can enter the lines for Departures 2 directly, or take a left, then another left, and you'll find yourself in Departures 1 checkpoint area.
Once upstairs, staff direct you either to enter rightmost lane in checkpoint 2, or to turn left to proceed to leftmost lane of checkpoint 1.
Privium holders can alternatively use Privium gates at otherwise closed Departures 1 checkpoint entry (behind check-in row 3), join the rightmost lane of checkpoint 1. There is going to be some mixing with non-prio pax at the filter, but on the upside, there is guaranteed no non-Privium priority pax coming up the stairs so you are virtually guaranteed to have no more than ~5 people in the queue immediately in front of the filter.

Tips to deal with Immigration / Passport Control lines

There are four options for arriving (from secure location) passengers. One is to use transfer passport control, one is to use passport control by F gates and another is to use passport control by E gates. There are also stairs by end of D pier next to the transfer control. All these feed into different lines.
There is no trick, just see if one of the other ones is shorter, depending on where the majority of recently arrived flights are docked.

Passengers arriving from unsecure locations cannot reach these without going through transit security. The only option is to follow the signs for entry control.

If you really want to make sure you're safe and are willing to pay extra

Schiphol VIP services are available at 390 for the first, 175 for each additional passenger (excl. VAT; with VAT rates are 471.90+211.75)
VIP service is at capacity and is not accepting new reservations.

General timeline suggestions

For Privium passengers, 1 hour should be comfortable in almost all cases.
For SkyPriority passengers, 1.5 hours should be comfortable in almost all cases.
For other priority passengers, it really depends on whether the priority lines are open but I would personally aim for 1.5 - 2 hours. Worst case you can sneak into the SkyPriority area from the back and use the gates there (your BP will be accepted). The priority line behind SP area is now open to all prio pax.
For non-priority passengers, realistically, 4 hours should be enough except at the worst times. Anyone informed enough to post here will probably also understand that the entire airport (except the easyJet gates I guess) is connected airside and you can shop around the different security areas depending on how bad the lines look.

Common Questions

I'm transferring from a non-schengen to a non-schengen flight in XX, will I make it?
Yes, you will.
If you arrive from a secure area (EU, UK, US, Canada, direct non-stop SIN): You then navigate yourself within the departures area to your non-schengen flight out of AMS and this takes less than 20 minutes, even if you have to walk from D gates to G gates.
If you arrive from non-secure area (other than mentioned; SIN flights via DPS): You will have to follow transit signs for transit security. There are no reports of transit security taking unusually long.

If you want to print your BP for the next segment, there are many transfer check-in machines across the non-schengen gates for you to print your BP, do check-in/document check, change seat, and etc for your next flight. No security or immigration is involved and odds are, you will wait at the gate for boarding, If you are FB Gold and up, STE+, or flying in business class, you will have access to the Crown Lounge and can grab a bite, get some work done, take a shower, or rent one of the sleeping pods depending on how long your transit is.

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 28, 22, 6:01 am

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat
Can someone help me understand how this would work - My daughter and her boyfriend are flying out of AMS headed to BOS, one on IcelandAir (non US citizen) and one on Delta (US citizen) no checked luggage and both (hopefully) will have boarding passes already - Is there separate security and passport control for them since IcelandAir goes from Departures 1 and Delta from Departures 2? Is there anyway for them to queue together to share the misery? I assume once they are on the other side they can meet up for sure - IcelandAir departs two hours after DL anyhow. Thank you !
Old Jun 28, 22, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by odie11 View Post
Can someone help me understand how this would work - My daughter and her boyfriend are flying out of AMS headed to BOS, one on IcelandAir (non US citizen) and one on Delta (US citizen) no checked luggage and both (hopefully) will have boarding passes already - Is there separate security and passport control for them since IcelandAir goes from Departures 1 and Delta from Departures 2? Is there anyway for them to queue together to share the misery? I assume once they are on the other side they can meet up for sure - IcelandAir departs two hours after DL anyhow. Thank you !
Yes, they're connected and it doesn't matter whether they follow signs for 1 or 2. They will be able to stay together and share the misery.
Old Jun 28, 22, 6:22 am

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by DeppityDawg View Post
I just had to do this myself (short overnight connection and too lazy/cheap/nervous to leave the airport and come back in). There are a lot of folks sleeping all around the terminal. Thank god the lounge opens at 4:45.
I hear you, I wouldn't want to leave this airport and try to come back in either....
Old Jun 28, 22, 6:37 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Location: AMSTERDAM = one of those attic homes with steepstaircases of death
Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Less flights BA: LHR/LGW - ANS

Check your bookings,
If you have a flight booked this summer with British Airways from Amsterdam to/from London Heatrow/Gatwick

From Raffles his blog:
https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...-haul-flights/
and https://aeroroutes.com/eng/220627-bajul22lon

British Airways departures from London Gatwick (last week vs this week and the rest of July):
Amsterdam 83 to 60

British Airways departures from London Heathrow (last week vs this week and the rest of July):
Amsterdam 196 to 160

Might be these BA passengers will be re-accomodated to KLM or jump ship by rebooking themselves on the KLM flights
Old Jun 28, 22, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph View Post
What?! The Skypriority check-in area is also explicitly for Silver/Elite members.
Not sure why this is such a controversial topic? Has anyone contacted KLM or Schipol about this? It is clearly a training issue that needs to be addressed.

Old Jun 28, 22, 8:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by downinit View Post
Not sure why this is such a controversial topic? Has anyone contacted KLM or Schipol about this? It is clearly a training issue that needs to be addressed.

When I was still Silver in April, I was allowed to use the priority check-in counters after showing my "card" on the AF app. After that, I only transited through AMS.
FlyingBlonde89 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 22, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Flying Blue Silver, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by downinit View Post
[snip]
Except [if I understand correctly] Silver doesn't get priority security - just check-in. We've not heard if the affected passenger needed to use the desks, or was just headed for the priority security line [whether by the front entrance or the back].
Old Jun 28, 22, 10:29 am

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
That's likely it. From the FB page:

So yes to priority check-in... but no to priority security.
Old Jun 28, 22, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBlonde89 View Post
Mr FlyingBlonde was on a 9.30am flight and said the line was the worst he'd seen but it moved relatively quickly once he was in it (overall 1 hour approx to clear everything for a non-schengen flight). He's silver and was turned away from the priority area (he said it was heavily guarded and lots of other passengers were also turned away).
Update: Confirmed he was turned away (as were many other Silvers) at the back of the SP area. They were checking boarding passes and didn't allow anyone silver or below through regardless of pointing out (silver) status.

He said security has tightened up significantly and any potential 'leak' points were closed off by Schiphol staff.

Arrived at 7am and cleared it all in the regular queue after 1hour and 5mins despite it looking far worse than previous queues.

Curious if anyone else has thoughts on the silver rejection and whether this is correct procedure. (As a platinum I'm not impacted but it seems odd that presumably silver can still do priority baggage drop but not nip through security... or can anyone report that they've also been turned away from SP as a silver?)
Old Jun 28, 22, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
That's likely it. From the FB page:

So yes to priority check-in... but no to priority security.
Yeah, still seems odd because if you just flash your card and say you couldn't check in then you can get through SP and therefore skip security... it's not like CDG where there are (sometimes) separate SP lanes when transitioning between terminals. The setup in AMS makes this distinction seem rather pedantic.
Old Jun 28, 22, 3:25 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate
...it seems odd that presumably silver can still do priority baggage drop but not nip through security... or can anyone report that they've also been turned away from SP as a silver?)
As mentioned above, priority security has never been a Silver benefit.
robert4travels likes this.
Old Jun 28, 22, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Gulbra View Post
As mentioned above, priority security has never been a Silver benefit.
Clear but then why not police the priority security area? (Or give Silvers a break and not make the distinction given how ridiculous it is to allow some Silvers FastTrack security?) Or have Silvers use a priority lane at regular checkin for Amsterdam? It seems really really odd to allow those with bags or who can't/haven't checked in to also skip security...
Old Jun 28, 22, 3:38 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Clear but then why not police the priority security area? (Or give Silvers a break and not make the distinction given how ridiculous it is to allow some Silvers FastTrack security?) Or have Silvers use a priority lane at regular checkin for Amsterdam? It seems really really odd to allow those with bags or who can't/haven't checked in to also skip security...
Silver members benefit from priority check-in and priority boarding (Zone 3). SkyPriority has never been a Silver benefit, so in theory Silver members should leave the priority check-in area after checking in and head for the regular security line.
robert4travels likes this.
Old Jun 28, 22, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Gulbra View Post
Silver members benefit from priority check-in and priority boarding (Zone 3). SkyPriority has never been a Silver benefit, so in theory Silver members should leave the priority check-in area after checking in and head for the regular security line.
Not sure why you bothered to quote me...? Doesn't address my point.
​​​​
Old Jun 28, 22, 4:01 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Not sure why you bothered to quote me...? Doesn't address my point.
​​​​
Don't get me wrong, I am simply trying to help and make things clear. There is a difference between priority check-in/boarding and SkyPriority.

As to why the priority security area isn't policed, I agree it should be policed.
As to why some Silvers are given FastTrack security, well in theory they shouldn't unless they are travelling in J.
As to why there isn't a priority check-in lane at the regular check-in area for Silvers. I guess there is no need, it is easier to invite them to use the SkyPriority check-in area. This also makes it easier at outstations.

Last edited by Gulbra; Jun 28, 22 at 4:10 pm

Search this Thread