Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 3, 22, 7:36 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Fabo.sk
Wiki Link
The latest suggestions and state of the Mess in Amsterdam of Summer '22 - short staffing and security issues.

Starting late April/early May 2022, Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is showing signs of chronic, and at times extreme, overcrowding. This thread is dedicated largely to the discussion of the same.

We have created this wiki to have a single point of reference, updated periodically with tips, tricks and reports of current state.

Bottlenecks

As of June 2nd, there are 2 bottlenecks at the airport.
1. Entrance to the terminal building from outside (arrival by car)
2. Security checks.

As of June 20th, unsatisfactory situation has been reported also on all arrival passport checks.

Tips to deal with Entrance to the terminal building lines

As of July 3rd, you could enter the terminal from train station without hindrance. On travel heavy days, consider getting dropped off at Hoofdorp, Zuid or Lelylaan and taking a train one station instead.
Privium holders are reportedly able to bypass lines by showing the Privium card.
Note: Schiphol is sometimes limiting access to passengers 4 hours before the flight, both from outside and through Schiphol plaza.
The checks do happen, but you are very likely to be able to bypass them from Schiphol Plaza (arrival by train or bus) by using the lift or stairs instead of inclined travelators.

Tips to deal with Security lines

There are currently three departure checkpoints into the main terminal area (plus one for the lowcost wing). Departures 1 and 2 are used for Schengen flights, Departures 2 and 3 for non-Schengen. (You can, however, turn left after leaving checkpoint for Departures 1 and reach exit control).
You don't have to use the checkpoint in your airlines departure area, so check if one of the other ones has a shorter line. However keep in mind that transfer passport control might bring additional delay.
If you have priority, ignore the main entrances to the checkpoints, particularly 1 and 2. Especially ignore the line for the stairs to checkpoint 2. Enter via SkyPriority zone, either via front if you have STE+/SP, or via back from Oversized Baggage point. There is a Privium card reader if you are a holder, alternatively sneak by opening one-way gate by hand.
The stairs at the back of SP zone are now official and only access point for priority for Schengen. The position is manned and access rules are strictly enforced.
Once upstairs, you can enter the lines for Departures 2 directly, or take a left, then another left, and you'll find yourself in Departures 1 checkpoint area.
Once upstairs, staff direct you either to enter rightmost lane in checkpoint 2, or to turn left to proceed to leftmost lane of checkpoint 1.
Privium holders can alternatively use Privium gates at otherwise closed Departures 1 checkpoint entry (behind check-in row 3), join the rightmost lane of checkpoint 1. There is going to be some mixing with non-prio pax at the filter, but on the upside, there is guaranteed no non-Privium priority pax coming up the stairs so you are virtually guaranteed to have no more than ~5 people in the queue immediately in front of the filter.

Tips to deal with Immigration / Passport Control lines

There are four options for arriving (from secure location) passengers. One is to use transfer passport control, one is to use passport control by F gates and another is to use passport control by E gates. There are also stairs by end of D pier next to the transfer control. All these feed into different lines.
There is no trick, just see if one of the other ones is shorter, depending on where the majority of recently arrived flights are docked.

Passengers arriving from unsecure locations cannot reach these without going through transit security. The only option is to follow the signs for entry control.

If you really want to make sure you're safe and are willing to pay extra

Schiphol VIP services are available at 390 for the first, 175 for each additional passenger (excl. VAT; with VAT rates are 471.90+211.75)
VIP service is at capacity and is not accepting new reservations.

General timeline suggestions

For Privium passengers, 1 hour should be comfortable in almost all cases.
For SkyPriority passengers, 1.5 hours should be comfortable in almost all cases.
For other priority passengers, it really depends on whether the priority lines are open but I would personally aim for 1.5 - 2 hours. Worst case you can sneak into the SkyPriority area from the back and use the gates there (your BP will be accepted). The priority line behind SP area is now open to all prio pax.
For non-priority passengers, realistically, 4 hours should be enough except at the worst times. Anyone informed enough to post here will probably also understand that the entire airport (except the easyJet gates I guess) is connected airside and you can shop around the different security areas depending on how bad the lines look.

Common Questions

I'm transferring from a non-schengen to a non-schengen flight in XX, will I make it?
Yes, you will. Non-schengen to non-schengen transfers happen by first arriving at AMS.
If you arrive from a secure area (EU, UK, US, Canada, direct non-stop SIN): You then navigate yourself within the departures area to your non-schengen flight out of AMS and this takes less than 20 minutes, even if you have to walk from D gates to G gates.
If you arrive from non-secure area (other than mentioned; SIN flights via DPS): You will have to follow transit signs for transit security. There are no reports of transit security taking unusually long.

If you want to print your BP for the next segment, there are many transfer check-in machines across the non-schengen gates for you to print your BP, do check-in/document check, change seat, and etc for your next flight. No security or immigration is involved and odds are, you will wait at the gate for boarding, If you are FB Gold and up, STE+, or flying in business class, you will have access to the Crown Lounge and can grab a bite, get some work done, take a shower, or rent one of the sleeping pods depending on how long your transit is.

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 25, 22, 5:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AccorLiveLimitless Platinum
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen View Post
Back on topic: Landed at AMS

Would love to step inside and check the state of the queues, but our airplane is currently on hold between pier C and D as "our gate is still occupied by the previous airplane".

Not just humans who are queuing!
Same here but then for departure, congestion at ATC, delay approx 1 hour. We might get a pushback to free the gate and wait at a different location. But I think the next flight has received a gate change as there were TK luggage containers that showed up after our scheduled departure time and have now been taken away again.
Old Jun 25, 22, 6:15 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by atflyer View Post
Thanks for this data point Brendan. I fly this evening to Oslo and if even this morning things are doable (time most vulnerable for clogging if pax show up hours early, doubling or tripling the usual numbers), this evening things should at least not be worse as you saw it. Of course I have to use dep 1 and have 'just' Sky priority instead of Privium but it seems there won't be a repeat of my London nightmare earlier this week.
Latest situation is that departures one security entrance is closed and everyone has to go by the stairs.

You will probably be guided to either 1 or 2 upstairs depending on the situation at the time.

Originally Posted by Brendan88 View Post
Same here but then for departure, congestion at ATC, delay approx 1 hour. We might get a pushback to free the gate and wait at a different location. But I think the next flight has received a gate change as there were TK luggage containers that showed up after our scheduled departure time and have now been taken away again.
Slots are a ...... Apparently, the outbound from Vienna, on the plane I was supposed to take back, was boarded, and then sat for almost two hours on the apron before timing out. Imagine that, boarding your already delayed plane, then sit in it for as long as your flight is supposed to take, only to then get out in the same place. They say it's due to weather. My eventual flight to Budapest took a very circuitous route as well, flying in Poland just north of the southern border, not turning south to Budapest until actually east of the airport longitude.
Old Jun 25, 22, 6:19 am

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by hi55us View Post
So what's the best gameplan for someone flying KLM TATL J in two weeks, originating at AMS and departing at 9:45am. Go through Security/Bag check at Departures 2? Departures 3? We're planning on arriving at 5am, since we absolutely can't miss our flight, but this 4 hour rule worries me.
When I arrived at 04:15 nobody checked for the 4-hr rule. So chances are you can just walk in at 5. Not guaranteed but chances are it will work just fine. What I would worry about more is a general line to be able to enter the terminal due to congestion, I think that would be more likely.

However.. if you are flying J that means you have Skypriority. That also means you can (and should) use the escalator up to Departures 2 priority security straight from the Skypriority check-in area. And while reports vary a bit, I don't think anyone has reported taking longer than an hour to get through security/passport control from there. So with that arrival time I would expect that you will be absolutely fine.

Originally Posted by robert4travels View Post
If you are flying KLM, all on the same PNR, you can all use SP check in and SP/Priority security. Did this myself last August with my own kids. For priority security age of kids is irrelevant.
You probably mean passport automated gates when you talk about E-gates? If so then yes the automated passport gates can't be used by young kids. However Zurich is within the Schengen zone, so you do not need to clear passport control at AMS.
This used to be the case, but I don't think that taking family through Priority security is an official benefit. Now that they seem to be manually checking boarding passes for priority security more often than not, I would not assume that you can take anyone through priority security if they are not officially eligible.
Old Jun 25, 22, 6:19 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by Netherlines View Post
Last Thursday i was siting naar the entrance as the Lounge was full due to Tbe SQ flight taking off @11ish as you stated correctly.To my surprise 6 pax paid at the desk the 60EUR fee to enter in the relative short period i was there and they were let in despite the Lounge being full.Catering was terrific,however the tables were not cleaned quickly(really slow)which made the Lounge look like a cheap take-away restaurant.
I'm not sure if NS lounge gets the same catering as the main lounge, but it was indeed terrific yesterday. With focus on Asian/Indonesian. Tables were cleared promptly in this lounge at least.
Netherlines likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 8:02 am

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
If you are flying KLM, all on the same PNR, you can all use SP check in and SP/Priority security. Did this myself last August with my own kids. For priority security age of kids is irrelevant.
You probably mean passport automated gates when you talk about E-gates? If so then yes the automated passport gates can't be used by young kids. However Zurich is within the Schengen zone, so you do not need to clear passport control at AMS.

This used to be the case, but I don't think that taking family through Priority security is an official benefit. Now that they seem to be manually checking boarding passes for priority security more often than not, I would not assume that you can take anyone through priority security if they are not officially eligible.
So unless something changed at Schiphol / KLM since last August, if your family is on the same PNR as you, the elite flyer, then your family boarding passes will have Sky Priority printed on them as well. So if there is a manual BP check for the priority security line you will be fine. That is what was the case for me (DL ticket, KL metal).
I think elite flyers would be VERY angry if this was not the case, as these benefits come in handy especially if you are traveling with your family!
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 9:12 am

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat
Originally Posted by HadesNL View Post
I've posted the peak days calender under : post #1024
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34345309-post1024.html

Chosing the Sheraton the day before is a wise choice as even i have resorted to this tactic for my 13th July flight.
You at least evade the A4 highway Schiphol exit congestion and the backedup terminals car drop off lanes.
Could make a decent chance to be first at the checkin counters
Has anyone used the Yotelair on the other side of security to stay the night in? I hear that if you have your boarding pass and a reservation at the hotel, they will let you through to check in there? So you can sleep on the other side and not worry about what lines you are going to encounter in the AM.
atflyer likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 10:45 am

Sorry, DL Silver gives you priority check in but not priority security. So she should give herself plenty of time, just to be sure, to clear security.

Oddly enough, she will be able to check in or drop off bags quickly with priority check in, that won’t be the issue.
And does ST E+ held with another ST airline (ITA) give access to priority security?
Old Jun 25, 22, 10:46 am

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
So unless something changed at Schiphol / KLM since last August, if your family is on the same PNR as you, the elite flyer, then your family boarding passes will have Sky Priority printed on them as well. So if there is a manual BP check for the priority security line you will be fine. That is what was the case for me (DL ticket, KL metal).
I think elite flyers would be VERY angry if this was not the case, as these benefits come in handy especially if you are traveling with your family!
As far as I am aware this is a DL Skymiles benefit, but not a KLM or Flying Blue one. The times that I've travelled with colleagues this was definitely not the case.
Old Jun 25, 22, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by dubistokay View Post
And does ST E+ held with another ST airline (ITA) give access to priority security?
According to reports in the ITA forum it appears that at AMS when flying KL it's well recognised.
Old Jun 25, 22, 11:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Miles & More pleb
Absolutely dreadful arrival in KRK.

Half the plane did not get their luggage. Half! (Including most of J).

As I got distracted and missed the initial crowd movement I ended up pretty much last in line at the claims desk and there just 2 staff.

Called the platinum hotline. Most useless move ever. 10mns+ wait then took all my details only to tell me it errored at the end and I have to wait for my turn anyway - which by then I had missed, so an extra handful of minutes wasted.

I spent 90mns at the airport and barely missed a train too so now I am in an uber. I need to be in a concert in 50 minutes and by then I need to buy some clothes and take a shower.

Just awful. I intend to get a full set of nice clothes on KLM'd dime to make up for this disaster. 😈
Old Jun 25, 22, 11:27 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Next data point, Sat 25/6 19:22. Arrived by train 19:03. Was in lounge 25 twelve (12!) minutes later. Absolutely zero pax in the priority line. Almost zero pax in the normal line. My one little day back went to secondary, unfortunately, causing 3 minutes of delay. The flashy machines still cannot deal with coins, it seems. Sit by the moment I post this on a table packed with food & drinks. Twelve minutes is for me the absolute record in the 20 years I fly regularly.

My conclusion after four late afternoon/evening flights since early May: at such times Schiphol seems in normal shape. Although results from the past may not guarantee results in future.
AnaTFN likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 11:39 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen View Post
Absolutely dreadful arrival in KRK.

Called the platinum hotline. Most useless move ever. 10mns+ wait then took all my details only to tell me it errored at the end and I have to wait for my turn anyway - which by then I had missed, so an extra handful of minutes wasted.

I spent 90mns at the airport and barely missed a train too so now I am in an uber. I need to be in a concert in 50 minutes and by then I need to buy some clothes and take a shower.

Just awful. I intend to get a full set of nice clothes on KLM'd dime to make up for this disaster. 😈
Hi Maestro R, a horrible experience, particularly that concert at the same evening and you don't have clothes for it... Good luck with improvising a solution.
Maybe it is a small consolation that on Sunday 19 with a missed connection I spent 30-40 min on the plat line before reaching an agent....
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 12:21 pm

Programs: FB Plat

KL's schengen lounge feels deserted. This is typically the busy area, but even one of the KL staff said "this pasta looks disgusting " ("ziet er niet uit") so there's that.

S to NS kmar
Netherlines likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by dubistokay View Post
Yes.
Old Jun 25, 22, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
As far as I am aware this is a DL Skymiles benefit, but not a KLM or Flying Blue one. The times that I've travelled with colleagues this was definitely not the case.
May be you weren't on the same PNR then? But yes, may be we got this (SP for me and my 2 minor kids) because we were traveling on a DL ticket, same PNR (but KL metal). But then again it would not have gone over well with me if I have SP, but my minor kids on the same PNR don't, and thus I would be relegated to the regular security line, because of course they can't cross security by themselves.

Interestingly this is how it works for DL (if same PNR then everyone has SP), but it is not a DL published benefit either.

Search this Thread