Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 3, 22, 7:36 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Fabo.sk
Wiki Link
The latest suggestions and state of the Mess in Amsterdam of Summer '22 - short staffing and security issues.

Starting late April/early May 2022, Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is showing signs of chronic, and at times extreme, overcrowding. This thread is dedicated largely to the discussion of the same.

We have created this wiki to have a single point of reference, updated periodically with tips, tricks and reports of current state.

Bottlenecks

As of June 2nd, there are 2 bottlenecks at the airport.
1. Entrance to the terminal building from outside (arrival by car)
2. Security checks.

As of June 20th, unsatisfactory situation has been reported also on all arrival passport checks.

Tips to deal with Entrance to the terminal building lines

As of July 3rd, you could enter the terminal from train station without hindrance. On travel heavy days, consider getting dropped off at Hoofdorp, Zuid or Lelylaan and taking a train one station instead.
Privium holders are reportedly able to bypass lines by showing the Privium card.
Note: Schiphol is sometimes limiting access to passengers 4 hours before the flight, both from outside and through Schiphol plaza.
The checks do happen, but you are very likely to be able to bypass them from Schiphol Plaza (arrival by train or bus) by using the lift or stairs instead of inclined travelators.

Tips to deal with Security lines

There are currently three departure checkpoints into the main terminal area (plus one for the lowcost wing). Departures 1 and 2 are used for Schengen flights, Departures 2 and 3 for non-Schengen. (You can, however, turn left after leaving checkpoint for Departures 1 and reach exit control).
You don't have to use the checkpoint in your airlines departure area, so check if one of the other ones has a shorter line. However keep in mind that transfer passport control might bring additional delay.
If you have priority, ignore the main entrances to the checkpoints, particularly 1 and 2. Especially ignore the line for the stairs to checkpoint 2. Enter via SkyPriority zone, either via front if you have STE+/SP, or via back from Oversized Baggage point. There is a Privium card reader if you are a holder, alternatively sneak by opening one-way gate by hand.
The stairs at the back of SP zone are now official and only access point for priority for Schengen. The position is manned and access rules are strictly enforced.
Once upstairs, you can enter the lines for Departures 2 directly, or take a left, then another left, and you'll find yourself in Departures 1 checkpoint area.
Once upstairs, staff direct you either to enter rightmost lane in checkpoint 2, or to turn left to proceed to leftmost lane of checkpoint 1.
Privium holders can alternatively use Privium gates at otherwise closed Departures 1 checkpoint entry (behind check-in row 3), join the rightmost lane of checkpoint 1. There is going to be some mixing with non-prio pax at the filter, but on the upside, there is guaranteed no non-Privium priority pax coming up the stairs so you are virtually guaranteed to have no more than ~5 people in the queue immediately in front of the filter.

Tips to deal with Immigration / Passport Control lines

There are four options for arriving (from secure location) passengers. One is to use transfer passport control, one is to use passport control by F gates and another is to use passport control by E gates. There are also stairs by end of D pier next to the transfer control. All these feed into different lines.
There is no trick, just see if one of the other ones is shorter, depending on where the majority of recently arrived flights are docked.

Passengers arriving from unsecure locations cannot reach these without going through transit security. The only option is to follow the signs for entry control.

If you really want to make sure you're safe and are willing to pay extra

Schiphol VIP services are available at 390 for the first, 175 for each additional passenger (excl. VAT; with VAT rates are 471.90+211.75)
VIP service is at capacity and is not accepting new reservations.

General timeline suggestions

For Privium passengers, 1 hour should be comfortable in almost all cases.
For SkyPriority passengers, 1.5 hours should be comfortable in almost all cases.
For other priority passengers, it really depends on whether the priority lines are open but I would personally aim for 1.5 - 2 hours. Worst case you can sneak into the SkyPriority area from the back and use the gates there (your BP will be accepted). The priority line behind SP area is now open to all prio pax.
For non-priority passengers, realistically, 4 hours should be enough except at the worst times. Anyone informed enough to post here will probably also understand that the entire airport (except the easyJet gates I guess) is connected airside and you can shop around the different security areas depending on how bad the lines look.

Common Questions

I'm transferring from a non-schengen to a non-schengen flight in XX, will I make it?
Yes, you will. Non-schengen to non-schengen transfers happen by first arriving at AMS.
If you arrive from a secure area (EU, UK, US, Canada, direct non-stop SIN): You then navigate yourself within the departures area to your non-schengen flight out of AMS and this takes less than 20 minutes, even if you have to walk from D gates to G gates.
If you arrive from non-secure area (other than mentioned; SIN flights via DPS): You will have to follow transit signs for transit security. There are no reports of transit security taking unusually long.

If you want to print your BP for the next segment, there are many transfer check-in machines across the non-schengen gates for you to print your BP, do check-in/document check, change seat, and etc for your next flight. No security or immigration is involved and odds are, you will wait at the gate for boarding, If you are FB Gold and up, STE+, or flying in business class, you will have access to the Crown Lounge and can grab a bite, get some work done, take a shower, or rent one of the sleeping pods depending on how long your transit is.

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 24, 22, 12:22 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green

This morning. A friend spent 2 hours in the normal (no priority) security queue between 3:30 and 5:30AM
Xandrios, HadesNL, mpkz and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 24, 22, 4:24 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
This morning. A friend spent 2 hours in the normal (no priority) security queue between 3:30 and 5:30AM
At 3:30am!!!!!
Is the airport staff still enforcing the 4-hour max arrival limit? it was designed to avoid worse-than-necessary situations and I wonder if spending the night cueing for 2 hours is is the new normal for just the early morning flights (or made worse by noon flight passengers being there at 4am). Wow, just wow...
Netherlines likes this.
Old Jun 24, 22, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Silver, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by AnaTFN View Post
Is the airport staff still enforcing the 4-hour max arrival limit? it was designed to avoid worse-than-necessary situations and I wonder if spending the night cueing for 2 hours is is the new normal for just the early morning flights (or made worse by noon flight passengers being there at 4am). Wow, just wow...
That's gotta be a large part of it, and a large part of the sheer randomness - queues beget cautiousness beget queues.
Old Jun 24, 22, 4:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Pretty awful if this is only the prelude to the summer holidays ....

Thanks Sjoerd : for letting us know !
Netherlines likes this.
Old Jun 24, 22, 4:40 am

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by marks88 View Post
There is indeed priority security for *A business. It is not obvious, however - hidden behind KLM Priority checkin. Ask *A checkin staff.
Priority line took 25 minutes this morning (busy) - I am traveling LH. No passport control for Schengen, of course.
Interesting. The LH check in agent told you to use the SkyPriority priority lane, going through the 'back entrance'? This one:

Some people have been doing that previously but this was considered 'against the rules'. Was there any agent at the gate to check your LH boarding pass, and did they let you through without having to argue with them? Or you just went through the gates with the "do not enter" sign without talking to anyone? (I'd have done the same, by the way..)

One thing to note is that Skypriority check in only opens at 04:30AM. And at that time, departures 2 security (which is where the escalator ends up) is still closed. unclear to me when security does open there. There may, or may not, be a way to move upstairs from Departures 2 to Departures 1. Last week I had to ask staff to open some of the barriers upstairs as Departures 2 was still closed, and the priority lane through to Departures 1 was roped off.

If this is, in fact, now the official new Priority lane for all elites/business pax (So not only KLM Skypriority like it has been so far) then that would be a very good development for everyone not flying Skyteam. Slightly less great news for SkyPriority and Privium pax as more people will be using this priority lane.

Schiphol says this... not too clear. but they do confirm that there should be a priority entrance for non Skyteam pax... theoretically.

Hello, Xandrios. If travelers moving towards the security lane are being redirected, a temporary entrance for priority travelers will be used. We advise asking the passenger assistants on site for this new location of the entrance. ^Jim

Originally Posted by AnaTFN View Post
The closer to summer, the more people will be on those awful 5-6-7 AM Transavia flights out of Departures 1. For some reason the majority of Transavia aircraft depart at that hour, and these are mainly holiday destinations. I'm pretty sure this is the majority of the Departures 1 queue at the early morning.

Last edited by Xandrios; Jun 24, 22 at 4:50 am
Old Jun 24, 22, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by robert4travels View Post
Sorry, DL Silver gives you priority check in but not priority security. So she should give herself plenty of time, just to be sure, to clear security.

Oddly enough, she will be able to check in or drop off bags quickly with priority check in, that won’t be the issue.
DL Silver Medallion (= SkyTeam Elite) does NOT give (sky)priority check-in access at Schiphol. Gold Medallion (= SkyTeam Elite Plus) does get SkyPriority access.
Old Jun 24, 22, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by terrier View Post
DL Silver Medallion (= SkyTeam Elite) does NOT give (sky)priority check-in access at Schiphol.
Yes, it does.
Old Jun 24, 22, 6:42 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)

Oh my word that is horrific

I have never been sooooo grateful for my Privium membership!
Old Jun 24, 22, 6:45 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)

Oh my word that is horrific

I have never been sooooo grateful for my Privium membership!
Old Jun 24, 22, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR View Post
Yes, it does.
Good luck arguing that with the employee guarding the entrance to the SP check-in area when your BP/itin does not have SkyPriority printed on it. In any case I would never rely on it.
Old Jun 24, 22, 7:48 am

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
DL Silver Medallion (= SkyTeam Elite) does NOT give (sky)priority check-in access at Schiphol. Gold Medallion (= SkyTeam Elite Plus) does get SkyPriority access.
Can’t directly speak for Schiphol but as a DL Silver in the past I used priority check in for KLM in Brussels. Also a Flying Blue Silver benefit is priority check in, so why would that benefit not be extended to Sky Team Elite passengers?
Old Jun 24, 22, 7:52 am

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Good luck arguing that with the employee guarding the entrance to the SP check-in area when your BP/itin does not have SkyPriority printed on it. In any case I would never rely on it.
Beneath the sign of Sky Priority it often also mentions: “We also welcome Flying Blue Silver, SkyTeam Elite”. I’m pretty sure silvers can use that priority check in.

But NOT priority security lines.
Old Jun 24, 22, 8:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Breaking: RJ moving some flights to MAA

Royal Jordanian is moving the following flights to Maastricht Aachen Airport / MAA = MST:
13, 20 and 27 July

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieu...aar-maastricht

and as others reported about AY (Finair)
double daily down to once a day (operated by A330/A350)
AY1305/1306 cancelled between 7th July and 28th August

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieu...-naar-schiphol

Last edited by HadesNL; Jun 24, 22 at 9:08 am
Old Jun 24, 22, 10:25 am

You don't have to argue, you can simply point at the sign behind them that says "we also welcome FB Silver and SkyTeam Elite".

This btw ignores that you generally don't have to argue with them; I rarely speak to them at all and if I do it's to answer affirmatively to the question 'SkyPriority or Business class?' after which they leave me alone and let me go about my business.
Old Jun 24, 22, 10:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
Interesting. The LH check in agent told you to use the SkyPriority priority lane, going through the 'back entrance'? This one:

Some people have been doing that previously but this was considered 'against the rules'. Was there any agent at the gate to check your LH boarding pass, and did they let you through without having to argue with them? Or you just went through the gates with the "do not enter" sign without talking to anyone? (I'd have done the same, by the way..)

One thing to note is that Skypriority check in only opens at 04:30AM. And at that time, departures 2 security (which is where the escalator ends up) is still closed. unclear to me when security does open there. There may, or may not, be a way to move upstairs from Departures 2 to Departures 1. Last week I had to ask staff to open some of the barriers upstairs as Departures 2 was still closed, and the priority lane through to Departures 1 was roped off.

If this is, in fact, now the official new Priority lane for all elites/business pax (So not only KLM Skypriority like it has been so far) then that would be a very good development for everyone not flying Skyteam. Slightly less great news for SkyPriority and Privium pax as more people will be using this priority lane.

Schiphol says this... not too clear. but they do confirm that there should be a priority entrance for non Skyteam pax... theoretically.

The closer to summer, the more people will be on those awful 5-6-7 AM Transavia flights out of Departures 1. For some reason the majority of Transavia aircraft depart at that hour, and these are mainly holiday destinations. I'm pretty sure this is the majority of the Departures 1 queue at the early morning.
So what's the best gameplan for someone flying KLM TATL J in two weeks, originating at AMS and departing at 9:45am. Go through Security/Bag check at Departures 2? Departures 3? We're planning on arriving at 5am, since we absolutely can't miss our flight, but this 4 hour rule worries me.

Search this Thread