FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

malmostoso Apr 28, 22 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34204521)
I don't want to think about what Schiphol will look like when the Dutch school summer vacations start.

Neither. I have flights booked for the first Wednesday of the summer holidays, and I'm already nervous about it.

The thing is though, what are the alternatives? RTM has few flights, generally at insane hours and very expensive. EIN leaves you at the mercy of FR, just as MAA. Driving to BRU is playing russian roulette with Antwerp's ring, with two bullets (R0) if you want to go to CRL. DUS? CGN? FRA? All too far to bother.

Schiphol has a monopoly, has great friends in government, and honestly doesn't give a crap about passengers. Airlines are just as captive. Or maybe this is all an elaborate ploy to reduce leisure travel and save the planet.

Fabo.sk Apr 28, 22 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34204727)
I also emailed Privium asking specifically about this access route, they confirmed that it is still available and operational.

Now all that is fine and well, but as long as you have to queue for ages just to get into the terminal building in the first place, it will still take you a lot longer to get through security.

Johan

I wonder how would it work for arrivals by train - surely they won't keep everyone out of the Plaza, and I think that once you are in Plaza you might find a way around by saying you want to go to Privium lounge (which you actually do, I guess. Maybe it's the one time it's good that it's landside?)

HadesNL Apr 28, 22 3:50 pm

Picked up by other media:

KLM cancels some weekend flights
https://www.nu.nl/economie/6197780/k...l_talk_wrapper

The comments section / reacties are enlighting!

CyBeR Apr 28, 22 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34204688)
I don't think we're talking of the same thing.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f4d4270ecc.png

I'm talking about the one in red, not one in blue. Unless it was turned off for some weird reason, it should let you in on the stairs coming from the SkyPriority zone - therefore bypassing all the non-prio pax
(note - this will only let Privium pax in, no other, even if you have a skyprio mobile bp etc. There is no BP scanner only Privium reader.)

Yes, that is the route I always take. Truth be told I only learned about the blue route earlier this year as I nearly always travel with checked luggage anyway.

There are three gates up there, two for a BP and one for Privium only, that leads to a separate Privium line to the security scanners (at the end of which of course you are mixed in with the rest just like the skypriority line). That gate was operational and there was no appreciable line behind it. In front of it on the other hand there was a line down the stairs and escalator.

johan rebel Apr 28, 22 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34204814)
I wonder how would it work for arrivals by train - surely they won't keep everyone out of the Plaza, and I think that once you are in Plaza you might find a way around by saying you want to go to Privium lounge (which you actually do, I guess. Maybe it's the one time it's good that it's landside?)

I'll ask someone who arrived by train the other day what the experience was like.

As for the Privium ClubLounge, saying that you are heading there might just work. But the downside of actually visiting that lounge is that you never really know how much to time to allow to make it from there through security and to the gate. Even before the current mess it was a bit of a gamble. I think the best bet is to try to get security over and done with first, and then go to the airside lounge, if there's any time left. If on a Schengen flight after midday, one needs to remember that the Privium Express lounge closes at 1 p.m. The plan is for it to close at the same time as the other two, i.e. at 9 p.m., but guess what . . . they are short on staff.

Johan

mfkne Apr 28, 22 4:34 pm

Maybe this is all just a cunning ploy to get Lelystad Airport opened finally?

Fabo.sk Apr 28, 22 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 34204807)
Neither. I have flights booked for the first Wednesday of the summer holidays, and I'm already nervous about it.

The thing is though, what are the alternatives? RTM has few flights, generally at insane hours and very expensive. EIN leaves you at the mercy of FR, just as MAA. Driving to BRU is playing russian roulette with Antwerp's ring, with two bullets (R0) if you want to go to CRL. DUS? CGN? FRA? All too far to bother.

Schiphol has a monopoly, has great friends in government, and honestly doesn't give a crap about passengers. Airlines are just as captive. Or maybe this is all an elaborate ploy to reduce leisure travel and save the planet.

If it were me, I'd go for IC to BRU. RTM used to have a useful connection here and there before the pandemic, but now it only seems useful if you want to go to LCY. Even the Transavia options don't make sense (first, I thought I might have played myself when buying BCN tickets from AMS for late May, but man - even on Transavia from RTM they are 400+ r/t! And as you mention, departure at 6:55 in the morning...)

EIN is not worth the trip for me. Let alone MAA and GRQ, if there even was any useful flights there, at that point, might as well travel to DUS then.

Wonder if LEY was open, would it be better or worse?

johan rebel Apr 28, 22 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 34204807)
The thing is though, what are the alternatives?

Guess that depends, but for most there will likely be few viable options, if any. In my case certainly none, unless I want to spend an extra day getting to and from Holland.

Johan

ok986 Apr 28, 22 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk;[url=tel:34204688
34204688[/url]]I don't think we're talking of the same thing.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f4d4270ecc.png

I'm talking about the one in red, not one in blue. Unless it was turned off for some weird reason, it should let you in on the stairs coming from the SkyPriority zone - therefore bypassing all the non-prio pax
(note - this will only let Privium pax in, no other, even if you have a skyprio mobile bp etc. There is no BP scanner only Privium reader.)

If you're worried about this leading to non-Schengen, it doesn't, it will throw you out on the top level over transfer passport control, close to the Schengen lounges.

On Monday morning, the “red” route was blocked, and the staircase from SP was also blocked. Although I was travelling with the hand-luggage only, I immediately turned to SP check-in when seeing the mayhem. Was told by the agent that Schiphol blocked all priority security checkpoints.

malmostoso Apr 28, 22 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34205064)
Wonder if LEY was open, would it be better or worse?

For anyone living in Amsterdam or Utrecht or in the north/east of the country it would be ok.

For us in the Hague or Rotterdam or generally in the south it would add at least half an hour plus whatever traffic in the rings of Amsterdam or Utrecht.

Without seeing the flight schedule it's all a bit academic, I reckon LEY will be RTM 2.0

CyBeR Apr 29, 22 12:33 am

Originally Posted by ok986 (Post 34205441)
On Monday morning, the “red” route was blocked, and the staircase from SP was also blocked. Although I was travelling with the hand-luggage only, I immediately turned to SP check-in when seeing the mayhem. Was told by the agent that Schiphol blocked all priority security checkpoints.

When on Monday morning was this? I was there at ~ 8:45 and no such block existed.

ok986 Apr 29, 22 2:04 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR (Post 34205829)
When on Monday morning was this? I was there at ~ 8:45 and no such block existed.

Arrived at 6am

ItrytobeFrequentFlyer Apr 29, 22 2:51 am

Based one my experience 30 min ago..

There is still a huge line in security but expect around 1 hour or so in security line.

SKy Priority and Privium are available. I was able to walk towards the stair to the second floor and skip the line.

irishguy28 Apr 29, 22 3:36 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 34204163)
Schiphol is now asking airlines to cancel bookings for this weekend.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2426851-schip...s-grote-drukte

NOS is now reporting that KLM has cancelled 68 flights today.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2426914-schip...rukte-verwacht

EDIT: that article has been updated to say that Corendon has moved all of its Schiphol flights scheduled for today and tomorrow to operate instead from RTM (Rotterdam)

Fabo.sk Apr 29, 22 8:08 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 34205777)
For anyone living in Amsterdam or Utrecht or in the north/east of the country it would be ok.

For us in the Hague or Rotterdam or generally in the south it would add at least half an hour plus whatever traffic in the rings of Amsterdam or Utrecht.

Without seeing the flight schedule it's all a bit academic, I reckon LEY will be RTM 2.0

It would have pulled a reasonable number of meivakantie travel though, hopefully making AMS situation better.

In any case, academic as you say. I gather RTM 2.0 is a likely outcome. EIN 2.0 would be somewhat better.