Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:22 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I'm surprised hearing about the Skypriority escalator being guarded. Thats something new indeed. And definitely not something that is happening all the time.

Originally Posted by HadesNL
***ahum : interesting as 7th July is already in 2 weeks

https://nos.nl/artikel/2433371-nog-g...chten-schiphol
---------
I bet airlines operating more than 1x a day frequencies might be asked to cancel flights.
In my mind concerning T3 this could mean impact on TK and BA...
Less than 14 days, so the whole compensation topic will start popping up. Is all of this "Unforeseen circumstances" or simply mismanagement that the industry has created themselves (and thus is responsible for)?

If KLM is supposed to cancel enough flights to reduce the number of 'excessive' pax by half, that still means that other airlines will have to account for the other half. While KLM has some more options by increasing the number of transfer pax, most other airlines won't be able to. So the larger *A and OW operators will have to reduce capacity greatly. And in order to not fly half empty aircraft I'm expecting to see flights being cancelled soon..

And also in that situation the question regarding passenger rights will come up. A whole bunch of nastyness with cancelled flights and unwillingness to rebook onto other carriers that are still operating is probably going to happen..
johan rebel likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
I'm scheduled to fly in early August from MAD-AMS-HAM, and when I checked my reservation, my AMS-HAM shows as cancelled. What's strange, though, is that when I go to the KLM website in search of alternatives, I notice that the cancelled segment is operating. Can anyone make sense of this discrepancy? Is this KLM's horrible IT infrastructure, or is a money grab where they're taking people's money and then making them jump through hoops to get it back?
Just called AF and got re-booked the same flight; the agent confirmed that AMS-HAM was still operating (with me arrive a little before noon in HAM). So...not sure what to make of this?

The alternative is to fly via CDG with a 70 min connection and arrive at 5:10 PM.

What would you all do?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:38 am

My flight tomorrow from AMS to DUB is cancelled. The KLM rep I reached out to on twitter mentioned something about a provision where you can change your flight to a different arrival airport, without charge, so long as it's within 300 miles. Thinking about a different flight, does this also apply to the departure airport? What other limitations apply to this rule? Thanks

Last edited by jkenn; Jun 20, 2022 at 10:39 am Reason: grammar
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Arrived in AMS today on DL 49 ( around three hours late ) around 11.40 am and the lines for rebooking were....endless. I would estimate that around 30% off all pax from my flight missed their connections. Went to the Lounge for rebooking, got the last available seat to Berlin untill tommorrow afternoon.
I feel really bad for those that spend maybe 3 hours in the "Transfer" lines only the hear "sorry no more seats left to your destination today..". And it was a fine day weatherwise, what are they going to do in july when half of europe is on holidays? As others wrote it's going ugly this summer.
johan rebel, wrp96, AnaTFN and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:51 am

With the many reports of delays at AMS I’m wondering if the meet and assist service might be worth considering for our upcoming YYC-AMS-NUE transit in early July. We have 2:10 in AMS to make the connection, which seems like it should be enough but some of the reports are not the most inspiring!

At the moment, I want to wait to see if our AMS-NUE flight (and return) is cancelled due to the upcoming restrictions—but in any case I’d be happy to hear thoughts on the meet and assist service and how much it might help ease the transfer.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by odie11
"...Only the passenger with status can go through today. The lines are too long."
An Elite colleague of mine traveled with a non-Elite last Tuesday, and had no difficulties using Sky Priority check-in / bag drop and Sky Priority security together. Guess it all depends on how busy it is.

Johan
Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by johan rebel
An Elite colleague of mine traveled with a non-Elite last Tuesday, and had no difficulties using Sky Priority check-in / bag drop and Sky Priority security together. Guess it all depends on how busy it is.

Johan
Do SkyPriority benefits apply to companions, or is that something that was common but unofficial back when Schiphol ran well? Reason being my guess here...

Originally Posted by odie11
Exactly and we tried to tell her that but she turned around and pointed to the big patch on her back that read "SCHIPOL" and said, "Do you see this? Only the passenger with status can go through today. The lines are too long." Right...the line she made us go into, the other line was empty.
...was going to be an agent well versed in SkyTeam policy and not well versed in oneworld policy.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:01 pm

Friend just messaged me, he’s at Schiphol now flying to UK …

“Nightmare at Schiphol -
Arrived at airport early as instructed
We took exactly FOUR HOURS to get through security 🤬
Got to gate at 1850 for 1855 departure!
Flight is now delayed!!!”

So much for afternoons being quieter!?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by atflyer
What time was that Digicola? As described above I passed that queue at D for going down to passport control when it was still just 50-100 people at 11.20 am or so, and then it was still doable to get out in 30 minutes via the E-gate passport control. But this would have been absolute horror, glad I had a morning flight.
Timestamp says around 9:30 so a bit before you got there.

On a side note, my flight to CDG left with over 30 passengers missing because they were stuck in security according to the FA announcement. We ended up having to offload their bags and leave because we were already delayed by almost 30 mins.
atflyer likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PM
How is the passport control line going from non-schengen to schengen?
I have a DTW>AMS>CPH trip coming up. I am flying premium select (1st row) so I will be among the first pax deplaning after Delta One, but my layover is less than 2 hours.
Cause for concern? Much of what I hear on this thread is entering AMS from Amsterdam, maybe I just missed posts about transfers.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by wooootles
How is the passport control line going from non-schengen to schengen?
I have a DTW>AMS>CPH trip coming up. I am flying premium select (1st row) so I will be among the first pax deplaning after Delta One, but my layover is less than 2 hours.
Cause for concern? Much of what I hear on this thread is entering AMS from Amsterdam, maybe I just missed posts about transfers.
No clue. From what I saw today, NS-S was a line of < 2 hours. Formally the should rebook you if there are problems, but look at my story from LHR yesterday. And being first out of a plane does not say a lot. How many planes did land before you and clogged the immigration (see one of my posts above? At 11 am line was doable, when Digicola passed a few hours earlier it was madness).
Status of Air France-KLM at LHR Terminal 4 No 16
wooootles likes this.

Last edited by atflyer; Jun 20, 2022 at 1:02 pm
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta
Flying out of AMS to DTW tomorrow at 1pm. Flying on D1 so I have access to the priority lanes for whatever good it does. Should I use the lane at Departure 2 or Departure 3? Is Departure 3 generally less busy than 2 or it doesn't matter?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wooootles
I have a DTW>AMS>CPH trip coming up.
If the past few weeks are any indication, KL1129 gets canceled twice or thrice a week, and the remaining flights are mostly delayed. About six KL1133 flights get canceled every week too, and the remaining one is often badly late. The other flights are rarely canceled, but only KL1125 is reliably on time these days.

Johan
wooootles likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by atflyer
No clue. From what I saw today, NS-S was a line of < 2 hours. Formally the should rebook you if there are problems, but look at my story from LHR yesterday. And being first out of a plane does not say a lot. How many planes did land before you and clogged the immigration (see one of my posts above? At 11 am line was doable, when Digicola passed a few hours earlier it was madness).
Status of Air France-KLM at LHR Terminal 4 No 16
So even staying airside, going from NS-S was over 2hrs?

Would having Skypriority have helped or is there no priority line at airside immigration?
arf04 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Would having Skypriority have helped or is there no priority line at airside immigration?
Privium only.

Johan
boss315 and FlyingFrZ like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.