Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Old Jun 17, 22, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
No. If you miss any sector, the rest of the ticket is cancelled.

You *must* change the ticket to the route you now wish to fly. Be warned that mak8ng such a change as the one you propose is likely to be very expensive.

You would instead be advised to work within the confines of the changes allowed by KLM. Once your dates are within the "window" (which today was extended from June 18 to...June 26?) then you can more easily make changes. However, given that we don't know where XXX is, we cannot advise; it may be that KL via AMS is the only option to get you from XXX to LHR.

But be warned; unless you work with KLM to alter your ticket such that it commences in LHR, you won't be allowed to board that LHR-JFK flight if you miss the earlier sectors and make your own way to LHR.
Oh, no, of course, I wasn't proposing just no-showing for the first leg. I meant to ask KLM ahead of time if they might let me change the ticket to just LHR-JFK without a reprice, given the issues at AMS. I know they usually wouldn't, but sometimes in the past airlines have been somewhat more flexible for me in situations like these, so I'm just curious if anyone has tried asking them something like this in the current situation.
Old Jun 17, 22, 2:35 pm

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk View Post
If it's been set to J0 Y0 while actual bookings are undersold, it's to accommodate irrops day-of, not advance rebookings. You can ask but I think it's highly likely you'll be denied.

One more thought though. Look at married availability, not single flight. If I was working at AFKL I'd be asking to close booking for AMS-CDG without connectors. People booking these tickets are better of on Thalys, even if they may not realize it.
Thanks. Married segments were showing the same availability so it seems no luck. Ill give up and try to fly 06:40AM tomorrow.

Had to change trains at Schiphol just now and went upstairs to take a look at the situation. Almost no pax at this time. Sky priority desk is supposed to open 04:30 every morning. There will be a line of pax waiting at that point, however they said it would not be too crowded at that time. According to them it is most crowded around 7-8AM.
Old Jun 17, 22, 2:54 pm

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by 8420PR View Post
My understanding is all AF/KL tickets can be cancelled for a voucher equivalent to the full value, as long as you haven't taken the first flight.

Here is what the booking engine tells me (and has done since March, before which all tickets were refundable):
The subtlety of difference between "refund" perhaps colloquially, between a travel voucher for the full amount of original fare and a full cash refund returned to your original form of payment.

I am looking for a cash refund outright. Flying KL is an anomaly for me, I live in Hawaii far far away and am not really a Sky Team guy. However if push comes to shove Iʻll take the travel voucher.
8420PR likes this.
Old Jun 17, 22, 3:06 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Location: AMSTERDAM = one of those attic homes with steepstaircases of death
Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Avoid: 13, 14, 18, 19, 20 , 23 July : peaktravel days : flight cancellations !

Just announced:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2433095-schiphol-moet-extra-veel-passagiers-teleurstellen-op-piekdagen-in-juli

https://slotcoordination.nl/update-on-capacity-situation-ams-s22-introduction-of-temporary-terminal-parameter/

and for more background information:
https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/economie/ar...-sta-je-de-rij

Dutch Slotcordinator establishes 13, 14, 18, 19, 20, 23 July as peak days,

Dissapointed passengers unavoidable as commitment to flights cancellations on those days!

More news to follow next week,
passengers should be informed by their airlines about their July flights

EDIT:
Which flights still operating or cancelled, shall be announced next week
Welke vluchten wel of niet door kunnen gaan, maakt slot-cordinator ACNL volgende week bekend
https://nos.nl/nieuwsuur/artikel/243...hade-opleveren

Source:
Vanaf begin volgende week krijgen reizigers die in juli vanaf Schiphol vliegen meer duidelijkheid over het doorgaan van hun vlucht. Nu al staat vast dat er zes dagen zijn waarop relatief veel passagiers teleurgesteld moeten worden.

Slotcordinator ACNL (Airport Coordination Netherlands) laat weten dat 13, 14, 18, 19, 20 en 23 juli piekdagen zijn op de luchthaven.

Capacity declaration:
https://slotcoordination.nl

Note: 7th July more info about possibility of August flight cancellations

Sources: RTL news & APOC (Schiphol Airport Operation Centre)

Note:
For local departures prediction
every day a colour to denote operating capacity
purple : meltdown !

No mention about the summer arrivals situation yet:
- less groundstaff,
- limited Kmar passport control / E-gates
- less luggage handlers
I predict chaos at the arrivals halls this summer........

So flee and save yourselves from the agony and despair!
mlin32, mpkz and evol like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Jun 17, 22 at 4:25 pm
Old Jun 17, 22, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HadesNL View Post
All my summer AMS flights are on Tuesdays. I had no way of knowing at the time, but I could have picked a worse day.

Johan
wrp96, HadesNL and atflyer like this.
Old Jun 17, 22, 3:41 pm

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Luck favours the wise and smiles amongst the foolish,
Let's hope your Tuesday flights at least get the proper Marcel Wanders boxes to celebrate
Old Jun 17, 22, 3:54 pm

So any recommendations if your flying through on one of these days (intra-EU schengen - AMS-GVA-AMS). Currently with KLM but is going with someone like Swiss a safer bet?

Just announced:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2433095-schiphol-moet-extra-veel-passagiers-teleurstellen-op-piekdagen-in-juli

https://slotcoordination.nl/update-on-capacity-situation-ams-s22-introduction-of-temporary-terminal-parameter/

Dissapointed passengers unavoidable as commitment to flights cancellations on those days!

Source:
Vanaf begin volgende week krijgen reizigers die in juli vanaf Schiphol vliegen meer duidelijkheid over het doorgaan van hun vlucht. Nu al staat vast dat er zes dagen zijn waarop relatief veel passagiers teleurgesteld moeten worden.

Slotcordinator ACNL (Airport Coordination Netherlands) laat weten dat 13, 14, 18, 19, 20 en 23 juli piekdagen zijn op de luchthaven.

Capacity declaration:

Note:

- less groundstaff,
- less luggage handlers

Old Jun 17, 22, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Also, recruitment problems are not confined to Schiphol . . . but the idea that this is a problem which is unique to Schiphol and that there are no staffing issues anywhere else belies reality.
Only Schiphol had the bright idea of postponing major runway maintenance and then rescheduling it for the 2022 spring break and summer vacation peak season. That's unique enough for me.

And you do get transportation and accommodation providers that have no staffing issues and operate normally. Confidence instead of circumspection, taking the long-term view, hanging on to staff to the greatest extent possible, a minimum of redundancies . . . all that helps.

Johan
jerry_greece and Solevita like this.
Old Jun 17, 22, 4:03 pm

Programs: FB
My last AMS transfer was 2 hours, and I netted an EC 261/4 voucher for more than there price of the ticket. I would have gotten one both ways, but I was proactive in my CDG re-route and got in the "wrong" 2E hall and talked the gate agents into issuing me a BP.
Now I'm looking at a 90-min transfer on Friday, and the dude on the PSL says "no need to rebook: you have plenty of time". Also, the next flight to my destination arrives five hours later.
Yeah, at this rate, I better go for cash reimbursements.
Old Jun 17, 22, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Luck favours the wise and smiles amongst the foolish,
Let's hope your Tuesday flights at least get the proper Marcel Wanders boxes to celebrate
Thank you so much for your good wishes.

Maybe I'm counting my KLM chickens before they hatch here. Things can surely go haywire on Tuesdays too. All it takes is a gentle northeasterly, a clap of thunder, or a CEO called Benschop. Time will tell!

Johan
wrp96 and HadesNL like this.
Old Jun 17, 22, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
All it takes is a gentle northeasterly, a clap of thunder, or a CEO called Benschop. Time will tell!

Johan
LoL:
your logic is undeniable,
surprising a psychic can be most tiresome!
johan rebel, wrp96 and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Jun 17, 22, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by bakersdozen View Post
So any recommendations if your flying through on one of these days (intra-EU schengen - AMS-GVA-AMS). Currently with KLM but is going with someone like Swiss a safer bet?
Swiss (LX) operates from T1A which has its own security filter and from there on is a short walk to the gates.
Problem is getting inside from T1 to T1A as you need to reach the connector while battling the hordes trying to reach checkin/security in T1/T2.
Old Jun 17, 22, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Have a flight coming up on July 7th AMS-MSP (09:45am departure). Unfortunately I can't realistically book other airports as I need to be in Amsterdam and I'm trying to do my best to prepare for the airport security there. Fortunately will be in J, which gets me Skypriority access.

For the night before my flight I'm debating staying at the Schiphol Sheraton right at the airport, the Hilton right at the airport or sticking with our hotel near Centraal station. From what I've read on this thread, might it be better staying downtown and hopping on a train out to Schiphol? Or should I plan on spending the night right at the airport terminal. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 17, 22, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Just announced:

EDIT:
Which flights still operating or cancelled, shall be announced next week
Welke vluchten wel of niet door kunnen gaan, maakt slot-cordinator ACNL volgende week bekend
https://nos.nl/nieuwsuur/artikel/243...hade-opleveren

Source:

Capacity declaration:
https://slotcoordination.nl

Note:

- less groundstaff,
- less luggage handlers

What does it mean if the date doesn't have a color attached to it? July 2nd is just blank
Old Jun 17, 22, 10:09 pm

Programs: FB
Originally Posted by bakersdozen View Post
The only other operator for that route is EasyJet. For LX, you'd have to change in Zurich, or just take a train from there.

Search this Thread