Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Thats what I figured. Unfortunately I booked these flights months ago before all the mayhem.

Now I have to figure out a way to go hand luggage only. Easier for me than the Mrs. :/

Maybe I can ship our luggage to Nice but never looked into that before. I imagine itll be pricey from California.

Last edited by FlyingFrZ; Jun 16, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Old Jun 16, 2022, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by johan rebel
But who did the messing up? AMS? Or the person who repeatedly booked the kind of itinerary you are advising FlyingFrz to avoid?

Johan
The airlines, their ground handlers and/or AMS.

Fly enough under enough circumstances, and even things better avoided (by some or most) more/most of the times end up being part of the picture at times.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: United currently plat
Ooof this isn't going to get any better is it. It would be nice for KLM to allow us to waive penalties and outright cancel/refund flights that fall within this period; so travelers can make other arrangements in advance. Iʻd think it would help them out to let passengers divert from the situation and lessen the bodies in AMS at any given time.

I realize itʻs the Airport Authority instating these new capacity rules but still. Perhaps after a few days the info will trickle through and airlines will make some decisions.
arf04 and malmostoso like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by evol
Ooof this isn't going to get any better is it. It would be nice for KLM to allow us to waive penalties and outright cancel/refund flights that fall within this period; so travelers can make other arrangements in advance. Iʻd think it would help them out to let passengers divert from the situation and lessen the bodies in AMS at any given time.

I realize itʻs the Airport Authority instating these new capacity rules but still. Perhaps after a few days the info will trickle through and airlines will make some decisions.
Yep, it would be good to know with some notice what KL plans to do with flights that they will have to cancel. I have a connection at AMS (out of YYC) to NUE on the 6th of July and back a week later, so if I know early enough that they will cancel then perhaps I can get rebooked to MUC, for example, if they are still operating those flights. I imagine all the cancellations will get messy fast! Time to brush up on on my travel zen in case things get ugly
evol likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Oof, I booked my travel before I had become aware of the nightmare at AMS. I’m flying LAX>AMS>GDN, original KL flight from AMS>GDN on 5 July was cancelled and now I have a 9 hour layover. Given the nightmare of security, would it be prudent to just book Lounge 25? Ideally, I wanted to take advantage of the sleep rooms in Lounge 52 but I also don’t want to wait hours in line to reenter the terminal. Thoughts?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
I'm flying from LHR to AMS midday on BA J first week of July. I will then be transferring to a KLM J flight AMS to NCE on a separate ticket.

Since we need checked luggage on this trip that I will have to collect and recheck, would 2hrs be enough assuming I get in on time?

I feel like thats a pipe dream with what's going on at the moment.
Cancel those plans. You can easily fly from London direct to NCE.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:21 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Cancel those plans. You can easily fly from London direct to NCE.
Problem is our flight is LAX-AMS on BA. It is the return portion of a ticket we had to push back from last December. We were just going to catch another flight to NCE since we didn't want to stay in Amsterdam. I would love to terminate in London, but chances are BA won't short check our bags.

What's funny is even if we take only hand baggage and fly LHR to NCE, BA cancelled a few NCE flights so taking the earliest departure available we would actually arrive later than if we flew LHR-AMS-NCE
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:31 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Atavanhallen
Oof, I booked my travel before I had become aware of the nightmare at AMS. I’m flying LAX>AMS>GDN, original KL flight from AMS>GDN on 5 July was cancelled and now I have a 9 hour layover. Given the nightmare of security, would it be prudent to just book Lounge 25? Ideally, I wanted to take advantage of the sleep rooms in Lounge 52 but I also don’t want to wait hours in line to reenter the terminal. Thoughts?
Amsterdam is a single terminal airport, you do not have to leave the terminal to go from lounge 52 to 25. All you need to clear is transfer immigration, and there haven't been reports of those taking unusually long.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:43 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Problem is our flight is LAX-AMS on BA. It is the return portion of a ticket we had to push back from last December. We were just going to catch another flight to NCE since we didn't want to stay in Amsterdam. I would love to terminate in London, but chances are BA won't short check our bags.

What's funny is even if we take only hand baggage and fly LHR to NCE, BA cancelled a few NCE flights so taking the earliest departure available we would actually arrive later than if we flew LHR-AMS-NCE
Two hours in AMS for your plans would be ambitious in the best of times.
Things that could go wrong:
1) delay of your BA flight;
2) immigration lines;
3) long wait for bags;
4) lines at KL bag drop;
5) lines for security to re-enter the terminal.

If you are lucky all could be smooth and you will have time for a coffee. But you will need to be quite lucky.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Problem is our flight is LAX-AMS on BA. It is the return portion of a ticket we had to push back from last December. We were just going to catch another flight to NCE since we didn't want to stay in Amsterdam.
The way things stand, you *will* be staying in Amsterdam!

I would love to terminate in London, but chances are BA won't short check our bags.
Meaning you've asked to change your ticket from LAX-LHR-AMS to LAX-LHR (or LAX-LHR-NCE), and they have refused? Rather than asking to short-check your bags, you should be asking to change the destination.
I think BA has already dropped all Covid-related flexibility, but given that your ticket was booked some time ago, and in J, you may have greater flexibility to make changes to your ticket.
The KLM ticket can be cancelled for a refund (KLM and AF are quite generous regarding cancellations now)
atflyer and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLBGO
Well, this ‘crisis’ has been made by AMS themselves. Letting people go, and speculating that the air market was not to come back until 2023. I think most FTs have seen, and guessed, that spring and esp. summer 2022 would become very busy.
You mean in the same way as FTers had seen back in Spring 2020 that it would all be over by September? And again that it would be all over by Summer 21? The transport and hospitality industries have had several false starts over the last couple of years so circumspection is perhaps not surprising.

Also, recruitment problems are not confined to Schiphol. There are recruitment issues in multiple countries and across multiple industries, especially transport and hospitality, i.e. the industries that were hit especially hard by the pandemic and reduced staff more than average . Yes, some have done better than others and Schiphol was slower off the mark than others but the idea that this is a problem which is unique to Schiphol and that there are no staffing issues anywhere else belies reality.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I'm guessing the Schiphol mess is why I can't find any SkyTeam Z availability to AMS in early September, despite it having been there a couple of days ago. Available to other airports too, just seems to be AMS... [Sigh]
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:05 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Thats what I figured. Unfortunately I booked these flights months ago before all the mayhem.

Now I have to figure out a way to go hand luggage only. Easier for me than the Mrs. :/

Maybe I can ship our luggage to Nice but never looked into that before. I imagine itll be pricey from California.
Both BA and AF fly direct LHR-NCE. Due to the competition, ticket prices I've seen have been reasonable. Save yourself the trouble of connecting through AMS?
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:13 am

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The way things stand, you *will* be staying in Amsterdam!
The KLM ticket can be cancelled for a refund (KLM and AF are quite generous regarding cancellations now)
They are not *too* generous, I tried to cancel my ticket for Aug 4 BER-AMS and they showed a refund of $34 on a $126 fare...
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:30 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Consensus

A sumner full of uncertainties:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2433015-ondui...kunnen-vliegen

departing via Amsterdam airport:
- those booking packages (flight+hotel) can be rebooked by their agencies
- those having individual tickets = uncertainty (causal damage by flight cancellation is at own risk)
irishguy28 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.