Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 3, 22, 7:36 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Fabo.sk
Wiki Link
The latest suggestions and state of the Mess in Amsterdam of Summer '22 - short staffing and security issues.

Starting late April/early May 2022, Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is showing signs of chronic, and at times extreme, overcrowding. This thread is dedicated largely to the discussion of the same.

We have created this wiki to have a single point of reference, updated periodically with tips, tricks and reports of current state.

Bottlenecks

As of June 2nd, there are 2 bottlenecks at the airport.
1. Entrance to the terminal building from outside (arrival by car)
2. Security checks.

As of June 20th, unsatisfactory situation has been reported also on all arrival passport checks.

Tips to deal with Entrance to the terminal building lines

As of July 3rd, you could enter the terminal from train station without hindrance. On travel heavy days, consider getting dropped off at Hoofdorp, Zuid or Lelylaan and taking a train one station instead.
Privium holders are reportedly able to bypass lines by showing the Privium card.
Note: Schiphol is sometimes limiting access to passengers 4 hours before the flight, both from outside and through Schiphol plaza.
The checks do happen, but you are very likely to be able to bypass them from Schiphol Plaza (arrival by train or bus) by using the lift or stairs instead of inclined travelators.

Tips to deal with Security lines

There are currently three departure checkpoints into the main terminal area (plus one for the lowcost wing). Departures 1 and 2 are used for Schengen flights, Departures 2 and 3 for non-Schengen. (You can, however, turn left after leaving checkpoint for Departures 1 and reach exit control).
You don't have to use the checkpoint in your airlines departure area, so check if one of the other ones has a shorter line. However keep in mind that transfer passport control might bring additional delay.
If you have priority, ignore the main entrances to the checkpoints, particularly 1 and 2. Especially ignore the line for the stairs to checkpoint 2. Enter via SkyPriority zone, either via front if you have STE+/SP, or via back from Oversized Baggage point. There is a Privium card reader if you are a holder, alternatively sneak by opening one-way gate by hand.
The stairs at the back of SP zone are now official and only access point for priority for Schengen. The position is manned and access rules are strictly enforced.
Once upstairs, you can enter the lines for Departures 2 directly, or take a left, then another left, and you'll find yourself in Departures 1 checkpoint area.
Once upstairs, staff direct you either to enter rightmost lane in checkpoint 2, or to turn left to proceed to leftmost lane of checkpoint 1.
Privium holders can alternatively use Privium gates at otherwise closed Departures 1 checkpoint entry (behind check-in row 3), join the rightmost lane of checkpoint 1. There is going to be some mixing with non-prio pax at the filter, but on the upside, there is guaranteed no non-Privium priority pax coming up the stairs so you are virtually guaranteed to have no more than ~5 people in the queue immediately in front of the filter.

Tips to deal with Immigration / Passport Control lines

There are four options for arriving (from secure location) passengers. One is to use transfer passport control, one is to use passport control by F gates and another is to use passport control by E gates. There are also stairs by end of D pier next to the transfer control. All these feed into different lines.
There is no trick, just see if one of the other ones is shorter, depending on where the majority of recently arrived flights are docked.

Passengers arriving from unsecure locations cannot reach these without going through transit security. The only option is to follow the signs for entry control.

If you really want to make sure you're safe and are willing to pay extra

Schiphol VIP services are available at 390 for the first, 175 for each additional passenger (excl. VAT; with VAT rates are 471.90+211.75)
VIP service is at capacity and is not accepting new reservations.

General timeline suggestions

For Privium passengers, 1 hour should be comfortable in almost all cases.
For SkyPriority passengers, 1.5 hours should be comfortable in almost all cases.
For other priority passengers, it really depends on whether the priority lines are open but I would personally aim for 1.5 - 2 hours. Worst case you can sneak into the SkyPriority area from the back and use the gates there (your BP will be accepted). The priority line behind SP area is now open to all prio pax.
For non-priority passengers, realistically, 4 hours should be enough except at the worst times. Anyone informed enough to post here will probably also understand that the entire airport (except the easyJet gates I guess) is connected airside and you can shop around the different security areas depending on how bad the lines look.

Common Questions

I'm transferring from a non-schengen to a non-schengen flight in XX, will I make it?
Yes, you will. Non-schengen to non-schengen transfers happen by first arriving at AMS.
If you arrive from a secure area (EU, UK, US, Canada, direct non-stop SIN): You then navigate yourself within the departures area to your non-schengen flight out of AMS and this takes less than 20 minutes, even if you have to walk from D gates to G gates.
If you arrive from non-secure area (other than mentioned; SIN flights via DPS): You will have to follow transit signs for transit security. There are no reports of transit security taking unusually long.

If you want to print your BP for the next segment, there are many transfer check-in machines across the non-schengen gates for you to print your BP, do check-in/document check, change seat, and etc for your next flight. No security or immigration is involved and odds are, you will wait at the gate for boarding, If you are FB Gold and up, STE+, or flying in business class, you will have access to the Crown Lounge and can grab a bite, get some work done, take a shower, or rent one of the sleeping pods depending on how long your transit is.

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 16, 22, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLBGO View Post
Setting a roof on # of pax, or setting a minimum level on # of staff?

AMS opted for the first… 〽️
Well, you don't have much choice if you can't recruit enough staff for the latter,
Old Jun 16, 22, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Well, you don't have much choice if you can't recruit enough staff for the latter
An article I read somewhere the other day quoted a CPH spokesman who said that the airport saw it coming, started hiring early spring, and now has 330 newly trained employees with security clearance rearing to go. They do not anticipate major problems during summer.

I guess their CEO isn't some politician called Benschop.

Johan
wrp96, HadesNL, atflyer and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 16, 22, 12:09 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Well, you don't have much choice if you can't recruit enough staff for the latter,
Well, this ‘crisis’ has been made by AMS themselves. Letting people go, and speculating that the air market was not to come back until 2023. I think most FTs have seen, and guessed, that spring and esp. summer 2022 would become very busy. There was congestion over AMS even in Mar and April already, and passengers have been piling up at the airport since fall 2021. The only time i really saw AMS empty was back in spring 2020. With people vaxed and ready to travel again, AMS made a huge misjudgement.
Old Jun 16, 22, 12:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Location: AMSTERDAM = one of those attic homes with steepstaircases of death
Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
thanks everyone for noticing the mistake......

13500 passengers mentioned in the press conference as in:
Striving 13500 per day less passengers travelling from 7th July

Sorry it was connected to:
Met name tussen 7 en 31 juli worden veel reizigers de dupe van de maatregel.
De luchthaven moet in die periode gemiddeld 13.500 passagiers per dag afwijzen

https://nos.nl/index.php/artikel/243...el-gedupeerden

Last edited by HadesNL; Jun 16, 22 at 12:58 pm
Old Jun 16, 22, 12:49 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
AMS problems, ARN problems, this problems that problems... what are those managers doing.

SN flies Brussels to Bromma. Seems they will see a good amount of my business this summer. Shame, I could have used some SK legs. Or XPs.
Netherlines likes this.
Old Jun 16, 22, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk View Post
AMS problems, ARN problems, this problems that problems... what are those managers doing.

SN flies Brussels to Bromma. Seems they will see a good amount of my business this summer. Shame, I could have used some SK legs. Or XPs.
Too right, for the summer months i have taken my business to Easyjet for my twice weekly returns to GVA,at this rate i will never achieve Platinum Ultimate.So thanks again mr Benschop for your perrenial incompetence.Maybe you should take a look at Kastrup,they anticipated an increase in Air traffic post Covid,it's hardly rocket-science,ahh i'm sorry,your statements are auto cue only.What a plonker!!
KLBGO likes this.
Old Jun 16, 22, 1:19 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, ALL Silver
I was missing the part where Benschop announced his immediate resignation.
Old Jun 16, 22, 1:33 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Location: AMSTERDAM = one of those attic homes with steepstaircases of death
Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Even more interesting:

De Consumentenbond bereidt een massaclaim voor voor mensen die losse tickets hebben geboekt. De speciale website gaat morgen online.

Dutch Consumer Rights preparing a website for those passengers who booked individual tickets
and want to claim compensation if those are cancelled,
website going live tomorrow.

Source:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2432943-klm-e...n-bij-schiphol
Old Jun 16, 22, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
CPH has also been a sort of mess with the regular security screening this year at times, but it’s been much more limited and nothing like the messes at AMS and ARN T5 this year. And so originating out of CPH is my more general preference/recommendation than AMS or ARN ones.

There are several reasons for why CPH hasn’t been as bad as ARN or even AMS when it comes to the main screening checkpoints; and it has less to do with the background of the top manager of the airports than other things that would just be a digression if gotten into.
Old Jun 16, 22, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
other things that would just be a digression if gotten into.
Why?

Johan
Old Jun 16, 22, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm flying from LHR to AMS midday on BA J first week of July. I will then be transferring to a KLM J flight AMS to NCE on a separate ticket.

Since we need checked luggage on this trip that I will have to collect and recheck, would 2hrs be enough assuming I get in on time?

I feel like thats a pipe dream with what's going on at the moment.
Old Jun 16, 22, 3:21 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, ALL Silver
2 hours is bound to fail.
jerry_greece and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jun 16, 22, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ View Post
I'm flying from LHR to AMS midday on BA J first week of July. I will then be transferring to a KLM J flight AMS to NCE on a separate ticket.

Since we need checked luggage on this trip that I will have to collect and recheck, would 2hrs be enough assuming I get in on time?

AMS baggage claim has messed me up one too many times in such circumstances. Unless willing to deal with the hassles/costs of missing the AMS-NCE flight’s bag check-in deadline, I would avoid a 2 hour turn of this nature.
Old Jun 16, 22, 3:39 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ View Post

You nailed it with the last sentence. You have to wait for luggage, and then pass check-in and security again.....even without the current mess dangerously tight. Any flight delay kills this schedule too. If you still can, avoid the checked bags and travel hand luggage only, then it is just a move from non Schengen to Schengen via immigration which is quite doable. If your tickets are flexible, rebook or get your money back.
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Jun 16, 22, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
AMS baggage claim has messed me up one too many times in such circumstances.
But who did the messing up? AMS? Or the person who repeatedly booked the kind of itinerary you are advising FlyingFrz to avoid?

Johan

Search this Thread