Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLBGO
Setting a roof on # of pax, or setting a minimum level on # of staff?

AMS opted for the first… 〽️
Well, you don't have much choice if you can't recruit enough staff for the latter,
Old Jun 16, 2022, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
Well, you don't have much choice if you can't recruit enough staff for the latter
An article I read somewhere the other day quoted a CPH spokesman who said that the airport saw it coming, started hiring early spring, and now has 330 newly trained employees with security clearance rearing to go. They do not anticipate major problems during summer.

I guess their CEO isn't some politician called Benschop.

Johan
wrp96, HadesNL, atflyer and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by NickB
Well, you don't have much choice if you can't recruit enough staff for the latter,
Well, this ‘crisis’ has been made by AMS themselves. Letting people go, and speculating that the air market was not to come back until 2023. I think most FTs have seen, and guessed, that spring and esp. summer 2022 would become very busy. There was congestion over AMS even in Mar and April already, and passengers have been piling up at the airport since fall 2021. The only time i really saw AMS empty was back in spring 2020. With people vaxed and ready to travel again, AMS made a huge misjudgement.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 12:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
thanks everyone for noticing the mistake......

13500 passengers mentioned in the press conference as in:
Striving 13500 per day less passengers travelling from 7th July

Sorry it was connected to:
Met name tussen 7 en 31 juli worden veel reizigers de dupe van de maatregel.
De luchthaven moet in die periode gemiddeld 13.500 passagiers per dag afwijzen

https://nos.nl/index.php/artikel/243...el-gedupeerden

Last edited by HadesNL; Jun 16, 2022 at 12:58 pm
Old Jun 16, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
AMS problems, ARN problems, this problems that problems... what are those managers doing.

SN flies Brussels to Bromma. Seems they will see a good amount of my business this summer. Shame, I could have used some SK legs. Or XPs.
Netherlines likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
AMS problems, ARN problems, this problems that problems... what are those managers doing.

SN flies Brussels to Bromma. Seems they will see a good amount of my business this summer. Shame, I could have used some SK legs. Or XPs.
Too right, for the summer months i have taken my business to Easyjet for my twice weekly returns to GVA,at this rate i will never achieve Platinum Ultimate.So thanks again mr Benschop for your perrenial incompetence.Maybe you should take a look at Kastrup,they anticipated an increase in Air traffic post Covid,it's hardly rocket-science,ahh i'm sorry,your statements are auto cue only.What a plonker!!
KLBGO likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I was missing the part where Benschop announced his immediate resignation.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:33 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Even more interesting:

De Consumentenbond bereidt een massaclaim voor voor mensen die losse tickets hebben geboekt. De speciale website gaat morgen online.

Dutch Consumer Rights preparing a website for those passengers who booked individual tickets
and want to claim compensation if those are cancelled,
website going live tomorrow.

Source:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2432943-klm-e...n-bij-schiphol
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
CPH has also been a sort of mess with the regular security screening this year at times, but it’s been much more limited and nothing like the messes at AMS and ARN T5 this year. And so originating out of CPH is my more general preference/recommendation than AMS or ARN ones.

There are several reasons for why CPH hasn’t been as bad as ARN or even AMS when it comes to the main screening checkpoints; and it has less to do with the background of the top manager of the airports than other things that would just be a digression if gotten into.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
other things that would just be a digression if gotten into.
Why?

Johan
Old Jun 16, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm flying from LHR to AMS midday on BA J first week of July. I will then be transferring to a KLM J flight AMS to NCE on a separate ticket.

Since we need checked luggage on this trip that I will have to collect and recheck, would 2hrs be enough assuming I get in on time?

I feel like thats a pipe dream with what's going on at the moment.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
2 hours is bound to fail.
jerry_greece and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
I'm flying from LHR to AMS midday on BA J first week of July. I will then be transferring to a KLM J flight AMS to NCE on a separate ticket.

Since we need checked luggage on this trip that I will have to collect and recheck, would 2hrs be enough assuming I get in on time?

AMS baggage claim has messed me up one too many times in such circumstances. Unless willing to deal with the hassles/costs of missing the AMS-NCE flight’s bag check-in deadline, I would avoid a 2 hour turn of this nature.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ

You nailed it with the last sentence. You have to wait for luggage, and then pass check-in and security again.....even without the current mess dangerously tight. Any flight delay kills this schedule too. If you still can, avoid the checked bags and travel hand luggage only, then it is just a move from non Schengen to Schengen via immigration which is quite doable. If your tickets are flexible, rebook or get your money back.
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
AMS baggage claim has messed me up one too many times in such circumstances.
But who did the messing up? AMS? Or the person who repeatedly booked the kind of itinerary you are advising FlyingFrz to avoid?

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.