Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2022, 5:18 am

Schiphol should declare how many passengers they can handle on any given day, KLM (I don't think other airlines would be willing to entertain Schipol's management shortcomings) should calculate how much any ticket should cost to break even with a reduced schedule, cancel and refund all cheaper bookings (which I suspect would be a lot), and put some of those seats back for sale at the new price point.

Better now than less than 14 days from the flight, where they'd have to fork eu261 compensation.

But the first number is probably too small to even make sense to keep the airline flying at all.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 5:36 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I'd imagine that's the issue indeed. Flights leave AMS with delay, and subsequently return with (some) delay too. That extra 20 minutes may be enough for the majority of pax to still make their connection.

What I don't like too much though, is that this MCT will be applied to changed tickets. Its means that if you have a valid connection - and would like to risk it - you won't be able to due to the new MCT.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I'd imagine that's the issue indeed. Flights leave AMS with delay, and subsequently return with (some) delay too. That extra 20 minutes may be enough for the majority of pax to still make their connection.

What I don't like too much though, is that this MCT will be applied to changed tickets. Its means that if you have a valid connection - and would like to risk it - you won't be able to due to the new MCT.
If you have a ticket that was ticketed under old MCT, it remains valid and you can still risk it. If you want to change it, you can't use a connection that's under new MCT, same as if you booked a new ticket. Makes enough sense to me.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Schiphol should declare how many passengers they can handle on any given day, KLM (I don't think other airlines would be willing to entertain Schipol's management shortcomings) should calculate how much any ticket should cost to break even with a reduced schedule, cancel and refund all cheaper bookings (which I suspect would be a lot), and put some of those seats back for sale at the new price point.

Better now than less than 14 days from the flight, where they'd have to fork eu261 compensation.
They'd still be required to book passengers on other flights (possibly on other airlines) if they still desire to travel.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And all of this of course explains why KLM minutes ago sent me yet another e-mail, this time touting WBC bargains via AMS, as well as EB flights to AMS.

Johan
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Every EB booking means a higher chance of moving the curtain back and removing 6 Y pax from the equation! Don't tell me that's not a good enough reason!
johan rebel, malmostoso and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by mfkne
They'd still be required to book passengers on other flights (possibly on other airlines) if they still desire to travel.
Sure, but many wouldn't, other flights might be spread over more days... Then again if it was this easy I'd be COO at KLM
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Dutch broadcaster NOS are reporting that Schiphol is to scrap not tens but hundreds of flights per day: https://nos.nl/l/2432946
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Live at 19.00

Live stream Schiphol airport press conference:
https://nos.nl/livestream/2432949-vo...chten-schiphol
Starts at 19.00 Amsterdam time
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
A lot of bla bla from Benschop
but anyway.....

a short transcript

Schiphol has calculated that:

- for the period from 7th July untill the end of July,
- they can process a max of 13500 local passengers departing per day,
EDIT: 13500 less of local passengers departing

- at current security capacity.

Schiphol has given this data to the Dutch slot coordinator, who will inform the airlines

Schiphol lists as solutions:
- offering transfer of flights to other Dutch regional airports
- airlines may cancel flights without fear of losing slots
- a booking stop for tickets a certain period
* getting extra staff and by offering beter wages with the approval of a deal with unions

But don't forget:

The union of associated travel/tour operaters has already announced to sue Schiphol airport for loss of business and the fear of bankrupcy
https://nos.nl/artikel/2432894-reisb...chten-schiphol

The shops at Schiphol have already announced to sue Schiphol for loss of business due to the crowds and demand compensation
https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieu...ast-van-drukte

Dutch government has annouced restricting flight movements due to environmental concerns:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2432934-ook-o...ge-milieueisen

And then there are very loud opponents flooding the internet with "Krimp the Luchtvaart" / schrink airtravel!
https://schipholwatch.nl/2022/06/16/...de-luchtvaart/

#InterestingSummer2022
mpkz likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Jun 16, 2022 at 12:50 pm Reason: EDIT: 13500 passengers less per day from 7th July
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by HadesNL
but anyway.....

a short transcript

Schiphol has given this data to the Dutch slot coordinator, who will inform the airlines

Schiphol lists as solutions:
- offering transfer of flights to other Dutch regional airports
- airlines may cancel flights without fear of losing slots
- a booking stop for tickets a certain period
* getting extra staff and by offering beter wages with the approval of a deal with unions

But don't forget:

The union of associated travel/tour operaters has already announced to sue Schiphol airport for loss of business and the fear of bankrupcy
https://nos.nl/artikel/2432894-reisb...chten-schiphol

The shops at Schiphol have already announced to sue Schiphol for loss of business due to the crowds and demand compensation
https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieu...ast-van-drukte

Dutch government has annouced restricting flight movements due to environmental concerns:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2432934-ook-o...ge-milieueisen

#InterestingSummer2022
These environmental restrictions are expected to be announced in a few days with capacity being reduced by 50,000-80,000 pax.
A new wave of Covid spreading in might be Schiphol's saviour here.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:32 am
Suspended

but anyway.....

a short transcript

13500 sounds like very few. Are you sure it does not mean that 13500 per day needs to be reduced?
HadesNL likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Setting a roof on # of pax, or setting a minimum level on # of staff?

AMS opted for the first… 〽️
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
but anyway.....

a short transcript

Those numbers are i think incorrect

NOS: In juli mogen er dagelijks maximaal 67.500 reizigers vertrekken, in augustus gaat het om 72.500 reizigers. De maatregel is noodzakelijk vanwege het personeelstekort bij de beveiliging op Schiphol.

Met name tussen 7 en 31 juli worden veel reizigers de dupe van de maatregel. De luchthaven kan in die periode maximaal 13.500 passagiers per dag niet verwelkomen.

Google translate:
In July, a maximum of 67,500 travelers are allowed to depart daily, in August this is 72,500 travelers. The measure is necessary due to the staff shortage at Schiphol security.
Especially between 7 and 31 July, many travelers will be the victims of the measure. The airport cannot welcome a maximum of 13,500 passengers per day during that period.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by mpkz
13500 sounds like very few. Are you sure it does not mean that 13500 per day needs to be reduced?
Indeed,surely this is not.correct..
It's all very tinpot,i found the statement made by Benschop confusing.There still is no plan B,there's no plan at all.
HadesNL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.