FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

Ardecos Jun 13, 22 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by cmhua777 (Post 34332425)
Is SkyPriority only for KLM/SkyTeam or can any J/elite passenger use it? Heading out on United in J and trying to gauge when to arrive.

It is SkyTeam only I'm afraid.

Fabo.sk Jun 13, 22 1:31 pm

SkyPriority is only for SkyTeam but other airlines do have also priority options.

mlin32 Jun 13, 22 3:57 pm

So it seems like with SkyPriority, sécurité contrôle isn't generally that bad now.......that a fair assumption ?

Wondering if it's worth telling my parents they can do something off airport during their planned 5h layover next month on a Weds......

Fabo.sk Jun 13, 22 6:16 pm

In AMS? Security is doable with SP. Not great not terrible.

I would be apprehensive about going out and about. Getting into the terminal building is a problem in itself in particular from car dropoffs. Trains are mostly running, but you never know when there might be a strategic delay and a missed train just at the worst time.

5h are not that long. You're probably better off buying them lounge vouchers (if they don't have their own access) and a book.

mlin32 Jun 14, 22 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34333307)
In AMS? Security is doable with SP. Not great not terrible.

I would be apprehensive about going out and about. Getting into the terminal building is a problem in itself in particular from car dropoffs. Trains are mostly running, but you never know when there might be a strategic delay and a missed train just at the worst time.

5h are not that long. You're probably better off buying them lounge vouchers (if they don't have their own access) and a book.

Sounds reasonable. They should have lounge access as it was an award ticket that I purchased so they have my benefits.

Too bad AMS has fallen into this. Back in February I'd routed them via AMS as I'd expected it to be the normal model of efficacité and anticipated swarms of American tourists via CDG that would clog the latter up. When the corresponding intra-EU flight got cancelled in early April, the next flight open was 2h later hence the now 5h layover.

Personally if I was travelling I could leave the terminal (I've gone into Paris from Roissy, and back par RER, in 6h), but for first timers, probably not worth the stress.

johan rebel Jun 14, 22 8:38 am

KLM needs an additional 900 FAs, and is expecting a shortage this summer. They also need more pursers, 132 regular ones and 72 of the senior kind. They expect to run short before the end of the year, and are talking to the unions about lowering the promotion criteria, e.g. dropping the requirement for command of a second foreign language.

Johan

AnaTFN Jun 14, 22 10:47 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34334762)
KLM needs an additional 900 FAs, and is expecting a shortage this summer. They also need more pursers, 132 regular ones and 72 of the senior kind. They expect to run short before the end of the year, and are talking to the unions about lowering the promotion criteria, e.g. dropping the requirement for command of a second foreign language.

If Spanish airlines get away with crew that murder English every time they attempt it ("is there any personal sanitary onboard?"), then KLM should be fine with Dutch/English speaking crews :D

johan rebel Jun 14, 22 11:14 am

Just to make sure that the queues at Schiphol stay long all summer, KLM Holidays just sent me an email offering €150 off on various package deals with departure from AMS.

Johan

johan rebel Jun 14, 22 11:17 am

Originally Posted by AnaTFN (Post 34335131)
"is there any personal sanitary onboard?"

:D

At least they didn't ask for a sanitary pad.

Johan

johan rebel Jun 14, 22 11:23 am

Schiphol goes modern

https://luchtvaartnieuws.nl/sites/de...?itok=TDT7AEJK
The idea apparently is to reduce passenger stress. Well, if the wait is truly only 7 minutes, that should work.

Johan

Digicola Jun 14, 22 11:55 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34335267)
https://luchtvaartnieuws.nl/sites/de...?itok=TDT7AEJK
The idea apparently is to reduce passenger stress. Well, if the wait is truly only 7 minutes, that should work.

Johan

I can’t imagine the effect it would have if it showed « Estimated wait 180 mins » when already stressed passengers start joining the queue

AnaTFN Jun 14, 22 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34335250)
:D

At least they didn't ask for a sanitary pad.

Johan

thats exactly what I pictured in my mind when I heard the announcement

BubbaX Jun 14, 22 2:02 pm

Hey, at the end of February, I did a CDG 2F-2E transfer where the screens said "Wait from this point: 5 minutes". Thankfully, I only had to watch those screens for fifty minutes. So maybe there's some AF/KLM synergy in effect.

Boraxo Jun 14, 22 2:09 pm

Thankfully I did not see the lines that are captured in these photos - it was just a quick walk from the airport Sheraton to the TK checkin counter - and then the usual security mashup. But looks very bad here:

WashingtonPost

zoneflyer Jun 14, 22 7:50 pm

Expectations on ARN - AMS - SFO in July

Read the stories here and acknowledging a crazy summer in AMS this year. What are the right expectations of me actually making on my flight back US with a 1hr10min layover in AMS in July? Should I expect delay and miss my flight to US? Any recent experience is greatly appreciated
I'll be flying business class on a 6:30am flight from ARN - AMS - SFO with only 1hr10min transit time in AMS. They already swapped the US leg from a 787 to 777 basically inferior business class product on my flight.