FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

UNITED959 Jun 5, 22 7:43 am

AMS Travel Waiver + Flying Blue Ticket?
 
Has anybody used KLM's current travel waiver/alert in changing a Flying Blue reward?

I'm currently scheduled to connect in AMS on Tuesday, but for obvious reasons I'd like to transit via CDG instead.

I called FB just now, and the person on the line didn't seem to understand why I wanted to change; she simply wanted to cancel my current ticket and rebook one on AF for an exponentially greater amount of points.

atflyer Jun 5, 22 7:44 am


Originally Posted by JeffersonCampervan (Post 34308706)
I travel with carry on only and online checkin, so I don't get near baggage checkin - are they likely to force gate check of my carryon?

I always travel carry on for reasons stated above even when going for weeks - having full control over my luggage is worth it. That I am down to 1 suit, 5-6 shirts and 2 trousers fitting with the one jacket is how it is (next to paying sometimes top money for washing if you are in expensive hotels). I cannot recall that KLM ever forced me to put my trolley in the hold upon boarding (I recall they asked passengers on 1-2 flights I took, but never forced you). But then maybe my Gold/Plat status in the last 10 years was of help.

atflyer Jun 5, 22 7:49 am


Originally Posted by BigFlyer (Post 34308524)
Got to Schiphol about 11 AM for our 14:50 UA flight to SFO. I actually thought today would not bad as it is mid ( not end of) holiday weekend, but the Schiphol website said today was peak, and I have an important meeting on Monday AM in San Francisco, so didn't want to risk missing the flight.

No boarding pass check entering Departures 3.

I had purchased Premier Access from UA, which for $24 was supposed to give priority seating and boarding.

Went to the escalators at back of Departures 3, and saw that the priority and non-priority gates feed to the same escalator. At the top of the escalators, took a sligh right to get to the priority line. Someone took a quick look at our boarding passes and let us through, it seemed that that person didn't look very closely at the BP.

There was one person at the inspection machines handling priority.

Took us about 15 minutes from escalators to get through passport control.

The non-priority line snaked a bunch of times starting at the hard right turn, based on a trip we took through there a month ago would estimate it at about an hour without priority.

Went to Aspire Lounge. Told it was too crowded and we were too early. I asked when he suggested we come back - the attendant said 2PM. The impossibility of coming to the lounge at 2 PM for a 2:50 PM departure was lost on him.

Seems actually like a regular experience for (Sky and other) priority pax in normal times - you essentially were able to directly take the escalator to departures 3 Mezzanine, and directly join the Priority queue. Of course the only bummer was not getting lounge access. If it works like this on Saturday 11 June when I have a similar timed flight to Boston, I sign for it.

johan rebel Jun 5, 22 7:49 am


Originally Posted by JeffersonCampervan (Post 34308706)
I travel with carry on only and online checkin, so I don't get near baggage checkin - are they likely to force gate check of my carryon?

Not likely, as the whole point of getting people to check their carryons is to speed things up at security. That will be done and over with by the time you board.

Here's one way they could do something about those horrendous queues: send fewer bags to secondary. Schiphol's goal is officially <10%, but as long as they man the scanners with inexperienced, incompetent and insecure staff whose only goal is to cover their behinds and who therefore send every single bag to secondary about which they have the slightest doubts, that's not going to happen. They are lucky if <10% doesn't go to secondary.

And here's another solution: instead of checking every single pax and every single bag, exempt 25% or so, randomly selected. I know, I know, laws, rules, regulations, nanny state risk aversion, general hysteria, etc. etc. But from a safety perspective I can't see it making much of a difference. Who's going to get in line for security with a bomb in his backpack if the chance of getting caught is 75%?

Johan

atflyer Jun 5, 22 7:53 am


Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34308726)

And here's another solution: instead of checking every single pax and every single bag, exempt 25% or so, randomly selected. I know, I know, laws, rules, regulations, nanny state risk aversion, general hysteria, etc. etc. But from a safety perspective I can't see it making much of a difference. Who's going to get in line for security with a bomb in his backpack if the chance of getting caught is 75%?

Johan

This is the surest recipe to have Benschop (the Schiphol boss) fired Johan ;-). Out of every 4 bad guys one comes trough followed by a 9/11 alike accident. Maybe that is why you did the suggestion?

Bogwoppit Jun 5, 22 7:55 am


Originally Posted by mpkz (Post 34308612)
Yeah you can bet your ... that I am hand-baggage only for the next few weeks...

Same, I never check, my carry on is very small. They can kiss their XXX before I check a bag. Not going near a check in desk, or a bag drop one either. Just the thought of those line ups makes me shudder.

BobTL Jun 5, 22 7:57 am


Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34308726)
Not likely, as the whole point of getting people to check their carryons is to speed things up at security. That will be done and over with by the time you board.

Here's one way they could do something about those horrendous queues: send fewer bags to secondary. Schiphol's goal is officially <10%, but as long as they man the scanners with inexperienced, incompetent and insecure staff whose only goal is to cover their behinds and who therefore send every single bag to secondary about which they have the slightest doubts, that's not going to happen. They are lucky if <10% doesn't go to secondary.

And here's another solution: instead of checking every single pax and every single bag, exempt 25% or so, randomly selected. I know, I know, laws, rules, regulations, nanny state risk aversion, general hysteria, etc. etc. But from a safety perspective I can't see it making much of a difference. Who's going to get in line for security with a bomb in his backpack if the chance of getting caught is 75%?

Johan

i like you are trying to come with solutions but you are basically trying to say that safety has to be compromised. Thatís a dangerous game to play.

Fabo.sk Jun 5, 22 8:17 am

I have my doubts that safety would be compromised if the searches were truly random. Not that a 9/11 scenario is possible any more anyway. It ceased to be viable even as it happened, as UA93 demonstrated. Sending a bag to secondary because you aren't sure what to do about a camera lens or a deo stick does not improve the odds.

johan rebel Jun 5, 22 8:31 am


Originally Posted by BobTL (Post 34308742)
i like you are trying to come with solutions but you are basically trying to say that safety has to be compromised.

Only very marginally, and to an extent I'm more than happy to accept. I run bigger risks every single day, even when not playing dangerous games.

Johan

BobTL Jun 5, 22 8:37 am


Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34308770)
I have my doubts that safety would be compromised if the searches were truly random. Not that a 9/11 scenario is possible any more anyway. It ceased to be viable even as it happened, as UA93 demonstrated. Sending a bag to secondary because you aren't sure what to do about a camera lens or a deo stick does not improve the odds.

I agree but there are clear IATA security guidelines and then itís a matter of lack of training and as Johan says, insecurity. These guidelines can not be compromised.

What KLM and other airlines/ Schiphol could do is making PR material how to pack hand luggage once more and what is pivotal to avoid a secondary check. Many inexperienced travellers (charter pax) make mistakes that can be avoided. So for example do signing in the queues to check if there are any fluids or other prohibited items so part of it can be avoided on beforehand. Even doing a SoMe campaign and reach out to all pax in a DM/email/app to make sure they are well prepared. The good thing is that many charter pax are willing to do it right but because of lack of knowledge arenít always packing correctly.

Fabo.sk Jun 5, 22 8:53 am


Originally Posted by BobTL (Post 34308791)
I agree but there are clear IATA security guidelines and then itís a matter of lack of training and as Johan says, insecurity. These guidelines can not be compromised.

What KLM and other airlines/ Schiphol could do is making PR material how to pack hand luggage once more and what is pivotal to avoid a secondary check. Many inexperienced travellers (charter pax) make mistakes that can be avoided. So for example do signing in the queues to check if there are any fluids or other prohibited items so part of it can be avoided on beforehand. Even doing a SoMe campaign and reach out to all pax in a DM/email/app to make sure they are well prepared. The good thing is that many charter pax are willing to do it right but because of lack of knowledge arenít always packing correctly.

On my last flight, both of my bags went to secondary. Camera bag because they didn't like lenses in it, and carryon because they didn't like a deo stick.

Please advise how to pack better. Other than taking the deo stick a showing it in the camera bag next to my lenses.

BobTL Jun 5, 22 9:10 am


Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34308814)
On my last flight, both of my bags went to secondary. Camera bag because they didn't like lenses in it, and carryon because they didn't like a deo stick.

Please advise how to pack better. Other than taking the deo stick a showing it in the camera bag next to my lenses.

This isnít about your case specific but how to optimize the process. Training of the security staff is one measure but also training inexperienced pax is another.
There are packing mistakes that can be avoided.

PS: you could have packed the deo stick in a see through bag then it probably would went through😉

sehgalanuj Jun 5, 22 9:31 am


Originally Posted by Escape (Post 34308644)
same here, but have a long-haul coming up and will need to check a bag or two, and donít want to be told at the check-in desk that I need to check-in my carry-on bags as well. Wondering how strict klm will be with this.

Seeing this mess unfolding forced me to try and move all my flights to AF. But I have only one left where I need to transfer at ams on 19 June. It's ineligible for a free change, and voluntary changes are so expensive that I might as well cancel the trip, which I cannot do.

So I have decided that I will check in a bag on my outbound leg, which goes via CDG, because I absolutely need to carry a check in bag. But on my return I will just leave it with a colleague of mine who lives at my destination and pick it up later in the year when I will have to make a second trip. I hadn't thought about this option until today, and I know this isn't an option for everyone, but thought I'd drop the thought here in case it inspires someone else.

Coming back without a check-in bag gives me flexibility in case KLM cancels my connection from AMS. At least then I can walk out and take a train without having to worry about how my bag will get to me.

HadesNL Jun 5, 22 9:36 am

https://nos.nl/artikel/2431527-klm-p...eizigers-woest
https://www.nu.nl/economie/6204835/k...-schiphol.html

In Dutch:
Veel mensen die daardoor ergens in Europa vast kwamen te zitten en niet meer naar Nederland konden, heeft KLM een hotel aangeboden. De woordvoerder benadrukt dat het afhangt van iemands situatie wat KLM wel en niet vergoed

translated:
KLM offered stranded passengers across the EU a hotel,
however KLM spokeswoman declared that compensation is on a case by case basis

- i have to put my eyes out after reading this!

they are really keen on generating a lot of goodwill with this move...

SkyteamEP Jun 5, 22 9:56 am

One of my bag went to secondary inspection last week. The guy at the end asked me "what's your destination?". I told him I was going to Basel and he gave me my bag, without opening it or doing any other checks. How does that make any sense is beyond me...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:54 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.