FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

atflyer Jun 4, 2022 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Gulbra (Post 34307277)
Nevermind, this is just an insult..
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8f59ad623.jpeg

Haha. After the horrible inflation of last year this doesn't even buy you a French fries with croquette at a railway station outlet. Let alone Schiphol with prices 30% higher than that.

Netherlines Jun 4, 2022 2:21 pm

KL has immense staff shortages on the ground.This situation is far worse than most people realise.

In Holland we like to play the blame game. KL blames the wind and runway maintenance but the reality is that they lack staff to refuel the planes and load the suitcases.
The situation at KL is even worse than at security,they are hundreds of bagageloaders short When possible avoid AMS the coming months.

atflyer Jun 4, 2022 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Netherlines (Post 34307285)
KL has immense staff shortages on the ground.This situation is far worse than most people realise.

In Holland we like to play the blame game. KL blames the wind and runway maintenance but the reality is that they lack staff to refuel the planes and load the suitcases.
The situation at KL is even worse than at security,they are hundreds of bagageloaders short When possible avoid AMS the coming months.

Any reference for that, Netherlines? I'd say the pics of people queuing way outside the airport today, the limited number of screening lanes open, and the analysis of the problems with the runway system with NE winds and Aalsmeer out is convincing enough these are the main problems. I flew back and forth to Colombia between 10-31 May, and on my travel dates there was not any problem, not any signal KLM was vastly understaffed and had to cut flights for that reason alone.

johan rebel Jun 4, 2022 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by atflyer (Post 34307295)
Any reference for that, Netherlines?

Last month's wildcat strike was because KLM announced they would employ a handling company to help them deal with luggage loading problems. Those problems were caused by KLM staff shortages. So yes, it's not only Schiphol that has staff issues.

KLM also doesn't have enough air crew. They want to wet lease aircraft for KLC, and then still don't expect to have sufficient crew in June and July for the planned schedule. Read all about it here.

Johan

johan rebel Jun 4, 2022 3:08 pm

And now they are predicting thunderstorms with heavy rain and a risk of flooding for tomorrow, Sunday.

Not exactly what Schiphol needs.

Johan

Fabo.sk Jun 4, 2022 3:18 pm

May be I'll have to be in Stockholm week after next. If it was Malmo, I'd be seriously considering driving. Might still drive to BRU or DUS to catch SK.

Originally Posted by BobTL (Post 34307183)
I think it is a sad but logical decision. If hotel rooms are sold out, no seats available for pax that have to be rebooked from previous flights onto a new flight that is maybe departing tomorrow at best, you are consolidating many pax at AMS and with the current staff shortage it’s better that many sleep in their own beds as well. It is also the most customer friendly solution despite the sad circumstances.
Everyone here loves to moan about KL and AMS but I do not see what other options KL has actually.

For transfer pax, fair enough.

If I was tonight in BCN (or somewhere else) and instead of a delayed flight as last Monday (though weekend flights were actually cancelled...) I would be told that the airplane will depart empty, I'd have been very angry. The whole point was I was trying to get to my own bed.

Originally Posted by dkeng (Post 34307222)
Crikey, seems it just keeps getting worse in AMS.

I've got business in the Netherlands next week and booked on an orange plane Monday and Friday. Not looking forward to the experience, and starting to wonder if I should be looking at Eurostar. 5 hours on a train has to be better than 4 hours in a security queue, right?

easyJet have their own pier, unfortunately the entrance to non-Schengen area of this pier is from the general non-Schengen terminal. Schengen pier of easyJet, empty as it is, has its own security checkpoint. I imagine life is much better there than in Departures 1&2 checkpoints.

If you are in London, consider flying from RTM to LCY as well. BA.

BubbaX Jun 4, 2022 3:51 pm

I saw the in-app food voucher back in April. In my case, I'd been rebooked on SK, and so the app said both that my boarding pass would be my voucher and that it couldn't issue me a boarding pass. The SK pass said nothing about a voucher or the amount, and I didn't want to find out A) whether it worked, B) how generous the Dutch could be, and C) whether anything for sale airside was edible.

johan rebel Jun 4, 2022 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34307404)
Might still drive to BRU or DUS to catch SK..

According to a luchtvaartnieuws.nl article a Dutch OTA reports a 30% drop in bookings for AMS departures this summer, with Dutch clients opting for Düsseldorf, Köln, Weeze, Eindhoven and Rotterdam instead. Brussels gets no mention, but I figure it stands to benefit too.

I guess this is good news for those of us who have no reasonable alternatives. The fewer pax at AMS, the better.

Johan

johan rebel Jun 4, 2022 4:05 pm

Today's departure board show's 28 KL flights canceled so far, all but one after 12 noon.

Johan

b12e Jun 4, 2022 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34307481)
Today's departure board show's 28 KL flights canceled so far, all but one after 12 noon.

Johan

AMS app shows 1141 Oslo (7am), 1413 Lyon (8.40am), 1779 Hamburg (10.30am) and 1565 Genoa (11.40am) as cancelled.

also cancelled: 12.00 BGO, 12.30 BER, 13.35 HAM, 14.20 CPH, 16.00 DUB CDG and BSL, 16.20 NCL AAL and PRG, 16.25 MAN KRS STR and NUE, 16.35 FCO, 16.40 LUX, 16.45 BCN and HAM, 16.55 NCE MAD BRU and BER, 17.15 LCY, 20.35 BRE FRA and BEG, 20.45 HAM, 21.00 HAJ, 21.10 BOD, 21.15 LUX and NWI, 21.20 LYS, 21.30 BRU

so it seems the majority is cancelled between 16.00 and 17.00 and after 20.00

MarcElMile Jun 4, 2022 4:41 pm

Never seen AMS like tonight, people sleeping in nearly every corner. Looks like downtown LA or Tenderloin in SF. You'd expect some disaster to have struck, but to me, it is down to incompetence in forecasting and planning.

Same for luggage area, 3 belts taken with stacked suitcases from passengers where their suitcase did not make the connection, good luck getting those back.

Was on an inbound AMS EU flight today that got cancelled, some people got rebooked for Tuesday (!) with no earlier flights available. Hate to say it but avoid KLM and Schiphol for the time being, next 3 months book elsewhere if you can.

irishguy28 Jun 4, 2022 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by atflyer (Post 34307198)
Addition - some suggest that wind is a problem and that they hence face runway restrictions. I am in den Haag, 50 km from Schiphol, weather is perfect, a nice, no wind Summer evening. Does not make sense. Seems that the pax issue is the only reason for this meltdown, there is no other word for it.

I made this exact same trip on the Pinksteren/Whit weekend, I think 4, maybe 5 years ago, and my flight was cancelled - due to “wind”. My replacement flight 3 hours later was also cancelled for the same reason. The vast majority of flights were able to operate, so I found it really strange that they would cancel 2 successive flights to the same destination when almost all other destinations were seemingly unaffected.

I ended up being sent to the Corendon Village hotel overnight - my one and only night so far in a hotel at KLM’s expense - and finally caught the first flight the next morning at crazy o’clock.

This is a case for which I engaged a claims agency to fight for compensation, and which is still grinding on….

Beware the winds of June at Schiphol!

irishguy28 Jun 4, 2022 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Gulbra (Post 34307277)
Nevermind, this is just an insult..
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8f59ad623.jpeg

I was given €15 to spend in Berlin!

€7 at Schiphol is indeed an insult piled upon injury!

irishguy28 Jun 4, 2022 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by atflyer (Post 34307295)
Any reference for that, Netherlines? I'd say the pics of people queuing way outside the airport today, the limited number of screening lanes open, and the analysis of the problems with the runway system with NE winds and Aalsmeer out is convincing enough these are the main problems. I flew back and forth to Colombia between 10-31 May, and on my travel dates there was not any problem, not any signal KLM was vastly understaffed and had to cut flights for that reason alone.

All industries in NL are currently severely understaffed. There are more job vacancies right now than there are active jobseekers.

I would imagine the horror stories in the news are hardly a great recruitment tool for airport and airline workers. Anecdotally, it also appears that a much larger proportion of staff are reporting as sick.

irishguy28 Jun 4, 2022 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34307465)
Brussels gets no mention, but I figure it stands to benefit too.

BRU suffered its own wildcat strike earlier this week; there were some mentions of large queues at DUS in the Dutch news this week.

Some people may just decide to keep their summer travel on the surface this year; especially for trips within Europe.