Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:15 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
New words of wisdom of Benschop:

Take less luggage with you this summer
https://www.telegraaf.nl/video/11622...handbagage-mee

A glimmer of hope offered by Benschop that's even been picked up by GeenStijl

Is he even from this planet ?!

Does he even think before he speaks?
Schiphol managed many summers before........
SkyteamEP and kprrr like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Jun 2, 2022 at 12:35 pm
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
InsomniaBA & Boraxo : thank you for giving an update about the situation in T3.

I have this feeling some security & Kmar capacity has been shifted from T3 to T2/T1 to improve the situation there.

Schiphol & KLM will tout that things are improving while at T3 longhaul / international departures for other airlines at the morning bank of 7-14H will still remain a mess.

Last edited by HadesNL; Jun 2, 2022 at 12:59 pm
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Dutch news is reporting this to now be an enforced rule. Entry into the departure terminal max 4 hrs before departure.
Ticket checks now done from midnight today:
- from Schiphol Plaza to departure hall (at elevators, escalators and stairs)
- at car drop off points (kiss & ride) outside the departures terminal

Source: https://nos.nl/artikel/2431199-reizi...ekhal-schiphol

Quote:
Voor de controles zijn volgens de luchthaven tientallen extra mensen ingehuurd
De woordvoerder schat dat hiermee "enkele tientallen procenten minder reizigers" in de vertrekhallen komen te staan.

For these checks, extra persons have been hired, spokesperson expect some %tenfold drop of passenger volumes in the departure terminal.

- i am just rolling my eyes -

EDIT : RECONFIRMED :
https://www.nu.nl/economie/6204386/s...ur-vliegt.html

Rant alert:
If Schiphol only allows you access to the departure terminal,
4 hours before scheduled flight departure time
and you still miss the flight
due to the Qs, backlog,
sheer volume of people due to fully booked flights at security and passport control,
will they also have the balls to take responsibility and accept liability?
Xandrios likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Jun 2, 2022 at 1:11 pm
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by HadesNL
Ticket checks now done from midnight today:
- from Schiphol Plaza to departure hall (at elevators, escalators and stairs)
- at car drop off points (kiss & ride) outside the departures terminal

Source: https://nos.nl/artikel/2431199-reizi...ekhal-schiphol

Quote:
Voor de controles zijn volgens de luchthaven tientallen extra mensen ingehuurd
De woordvoerder schat dat hiermee "enkele tientallen procenten minder reizigers" in de vertrekhallen komen te staan.

For these checks, extra persons have been hired, spokesperson expect some %tenfold drop of passenger volumes in the departure terminal.

- i am just rolling my eyes -
wouldn't it make more sense to train these people to do actual security checks? Instead of trying to eradicate the symptoms, fix the cause of them?

or am I just being silly now and does Schiphol really want to become a bad airport? They're well on their way...
Old Jun 2, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by b12e
Wouldn't it make more sense to train these people to do actual security checks? Instead of trying to eradicate the symptoms, fix the cause of them
I suppose it takes some time to actually train them.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by mfkne
I suppose it takes some time to actually train them.
Like what? a month, two months? that's plenty in time for the summer holidays if they started hiring them when the mess started. And even a month would mean they're ready for the field before the July/August mayhem starts if they get hired today.

I can't imagine their training - e.g. looking at a scan and searching for illegal things on people's bodies in the indicated places to be that training intensive.

It's not like the people having to check tickets don't need training.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 1:25 pm

Might be wishful thinking,
but Rijksoverheid has published the schedule for the annual Dutch school holidays untill 2025:

https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwe...per-schooljaar

With these dates set in stone + other public holidays, you can predict which days will expect high volume departures and arrivals at Schiphol airport.
Anything to evade the chaos!
Old Jun 2, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by b12e
It's not like the people having to check tickets don't need training.
They do, but it's as simple as "Check if the departure date is today and the departure time is more than 4 hours from now. If it is, deny access". For security it's a little more complex, and I suspect there may also be a certification they need to attain. And nobody is saying they are only hiring the folks for the ticket inspection - probably that is just a stop-gap measure while the other measures are in process.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by mfkne
They do, but it's as simple as "Check if the departure date is today and the departure time is more than 4 hours from now. If it is, deny access". For security it's a little more complex, and I suspect there may also be a certification they need to attain. And nobody is saying they are only hiring the folks for the ticket inspection - probably that is just a stop-gap measure while the other measures are in process.
I'm not saying you're not right on the security part - what do I know how the certification or training works.

But

but it's as simple as "Check if the departure date is today and the departure time is more than 4 hours from now. If it is, deny access"
definitely is nonsense.

How to deal with passengers who don't have a BP or ticket at hand? What to do with people having a layover, going outside for a brief cigarette break, hoping to spend the time in the KL lounge afterwards? What to do with disabled passengers, or otherwise "special" cases?

This world isn't as black/white as some people think it is, there's a lot of grey area in between..
wrp96 and Solevita like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 1:31 pm

Why would anyone trust Schiphol's advice not to arrive early? They're not going to pay me (or my employer) for missing my flight or do any of the legwork to rebook me. Does anyone doubt that there will be lines snaking throughout Schiphol Plaza just to get to the ticket checkers guarding access to the departures level?

Absolutely not changing my plan to arrive at Schiphol before 8 am on Sunday for my mid-afternoon flight to the US. Well, maybe - the thought did cross my mind to just buy a refundable ticket for an earlier flight to show the ticket checkers.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
What is the best strategy those days for an early morning Schengen KLM flight with SkyPriority and no checked luggage? Going to the SkyPriority check-in area in departures 2 and going to security from there?
That's probably optimal. Those seem to be the only priority lines they are still segregating from the crowds in Departures 1 & 2. I guess you could try the departures 3 line if things are bad, but then you would need to pass through passport control twice if that's allowed.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by terrier

Absolutely not changing my plan to arrive at Schiphol before 8 am on Sunday for my mid-afternoon flight to the US. Well, maybe - the thought did cross my mind to just buy a refundable ticket for an earlier flight to show the ticket checkers.
Before 8am for mid afternoon? I cannot even imagine needing 6 hours to get to my gate. I sure hope it is not that bad.

I have a 15:20 in a week and I plan to be on the train from Centraal at 11am.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Before 8am for mid afternoon? I cannot even imagine needing 6 hours to get to my gate. I sure hope it is not that bad.

I have a 15:20 in a week and I plan to be on the train from Centraal at 11am.
For Privium passengers, 1 hour should be comfortable in almost all cases.
For SkyPriority passengers, 1.5 hours should be comfortable in almost all cases.
For other priority passengers, it really depends on whether the priority lines are open but I would personally aim for 1.5 - 2 hours. Worst case you can sneak into the SkyPriority area from the back and use the gates there (your BP will be accepted).
For non-priority passengers, realistically, 4 hours should be enough except at the worst times. Anyone informed enough to post here will probably also understand that the entire airport (except the easyJet gates I guess) is connected airside and you can shop around the different security areas depending on how bad the lines look.

So 6 hours is just extreme risk aversion. Fair enough if you have nothing else to do in Amsterdam and just want to hang out at the airport. But no one needs to arrive that early.
Boraxo and b12e like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by mpkz
For non-priority passengers, realistically, 4 hours should be enough except at the worst times.
And the problem is that "the worst times" is made worse by people arriving 6+ hours before their flight.
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by HadesNL
New words of wisdom of Benschop:

Take less luggage with you this summer
https://www.telegraaf.nl/video/11622...handbagage-mee

A glimmer of hope offered by Benschop that's even been picked up by GeenStijl

Is he even from this planet ?!

Does he even think before he speaks?
Schiphol managed many summers before........

How does that man still have a job? Is he supposed to advocate for opening of Lelystad? It is owned by Schiphol Group as far as I can make out, it would be a shame if they never got to use the newly built terminals...
The only way this all madness makes sense is if Schiphol Group is trying to create political pressure to open the new airport. After that... well we all know it's easier to not open an airport than to close one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.