Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jongesander
The lounges will be more busy because recently SQ Premium pax will have access to the Privium Lounge. I think only Business Class pax.
Yes, just confirmed by the Express Lounge agent. Will of course effect ClubLounge West only.

Johan
Old May 24, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by terrier
I think you're right that there's no way this gets better in the short term. Lots of ways to get to the UK without going through Schiphol, though. Eurostar, obviously, but also from Rotterdam/The Hague Airport you can get to London-City (BA) or Edinburgh (Transavia). Ryanair serves Stansted, Edinburgh, and Manchester from Eindhoven, and Stansted from Maastricht/Aachen. And then there are the ferries...
Indeed, I was just thinking yesterday that I should check out RTM, but EIN is also worth considering. With this just being a long weekend to catch up with friends though, the potential for airport chaos [or trekking to a different departure point] does have to be all that high to kill the idea. Likewise, relatively short notice Eurostar bookings are offputtingly pricey.
Old May 24, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Hi all,

I'm flying to DTW from NUE via AMS next Monday with Delta. Glad I found this thread.
Connection time in AMS is 02:20. Should I expect also long queues when transferrig from Schengen to Non Schengen or is the Chaos only limited to CheckIn / initial security ?

Thanks for your help,
Old May 24, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
[QUOTE=HadesNL;34275327]

Normally airline checkin counters open 3H before scheduled departure time

/QUOTE]

Depends really. AF/KL nowadays have checkins open throughout the day at most airports they do multiple flights from. (Emphasis on most; was surprised to find checkin closed at BUD)

I'm sure other big airlines at Schiphol would be the same.
Old May 24, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by HadesNL
jongesander : Interesting news!
Is this a recent feature from your last trip to Lombok.....?
and will this be during the summer months?

Anything better then the G*D awful Aspire lounge!
(which is still mentioned on SQ lounge website)
My guess is that this will be indefinitely the case. Previously, SQ had a separate area in the Aspire Lounge but that no longer exist for a while.

And nope, our last trip to Lombok SQ still used Aspire (November) and we are heading to Lombok tomorrow. Flying QR J and we can unfortunately not use Privium (traveling with daughter), so we hope for the best at the Priority Lane.
Old May 24, 2022, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the Privium lounges have become pay4use for non-members
Eeks! Eeks! Eeks!

That’s a slippery slope.

Let's hope the ridiculous prices will deter most prospective guests.

Johan
Old May 24, 2022, 5:31 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Yes, just confirmed by the Express Lounge agent. Will of course effect ClubLounge West only.

Johan
Thanks for the confirmation!
Maybe it will be happy holidays after all
Now i can finally experience something that is properly run at Schiphol
Old May 24, 2022, 5:41 am

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Originally Posted by etiene
Indeed, I was just thinking yesterday that I should check out RTM, but EIN is also worth considering. With this just being a long weekend to catch up with friends though, the potential for airport chaos [or trekking to a different departure point] does have to be all that high to kill the idea. Likewise, relatively short notice Eurostar bookings are offputtingly pricey.
I vowed never to set foot again on Eurostar.

Last February standing at Amsterdam Centraal waiting for the 1st departure of the day to London St.Pancras,
No train,
No replacement train,
Had to board the Thalys to Bruxelles Midi to catch Eurostar train there,
Not allowed to board the Thalys because of max capacity,
Had to use IC Direct,
Was told to sort it out at Bruxelles Midi and hope if other Paris - London Eurostar service had space
Or even wait 6 hours for the next Amsterdam - London Eurostar service
Eurostar customer service unreachable on all media

I took the IC Direct to Rotterdam,
and while onboard
booked a cheap BA RTM-LCY ticket,
went by taxi from station to airport,
and made it in time to my event.

Others have reported likewise, so caveat emptor:
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.eurostar.com
(switch to Dutch and read more horror stories)

And yes the Eurostar price is to weep for !

Last edited by HadesNL; May 24, 2022 at 8:50 am
Old May 24, 2022, 5:53 am

[QUOTE=Maestro Ramen;34275603]

Normally airline checkin counters open 3H before scheduled departure time

/QUOTE]

Depends really. AF/KL nowadays have checkins open throughout the day at most airports they do multiple flights from. (Emphasis on most; was surprised to find checkin closed at BUD)

I'm sure other big airlines at Schiphol would be the same.
Yes, indeed this mostly applies to my BA / LH flights from Amsterdam.
But when with SQ or LY it is unfortunately 3H before departure..

Last edited by HadesNL; May 24, 2022 at 7:53 am
Old May 24, 2022, 6:04 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jongesander
And nope, our last trip to Lombok SQ still used Aspire (November) and we are heading to Lombok tomorrow. Flying QR J and we can unfortunately not use Privium (traveling with daughter), so we hope for the best at the Priority Lane.
I'm pretty sure that you can take children with you through the privium lane. Not sure until what age though. The Tweakers thread on this topic has reports of people regularly taking kids along.
Old May 24, 2022, 6:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Others have reported likewise, so caveat emptor:
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.eurostar.com
(switch to Dutch and read more horror stories)
Wow, that's 0.1 point lower than KLM

Old May 24, 2022, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I'm pretty sure that you can take children with you through the privium lane
Not the immigrations/passport lane.

Johan
Old May 24, 2022, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Possible strike actions from 1 June

Originally Posted by luchtvaartnieuws.nl
FNV UNION THREATENS LARGE-SCALE ACTIONS AT SCHIPHOL FROM 1 JUNE DUE TO UNRELENTING WORKLOAD

SCHIPHOL - The FNV is threatening action at Schiphol due to the sustained high workloads for security and baggage-handling staff. The union wants an agreement prior to 1 June regarding the easing of the workload.

Images circulated on social media on Sunday show a security officer lying on the ground having fainted. The staff cannot cope with the high pressure and the angry passengers worried about missing their flights.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Hard to tell now, Sunday 21/08 will be the last day of school holidays for part of NL so the risk of having a very busy Schiphol is real. I'm not sure you'd be able to go airside with a BP for the following day.
The hotel says I can.
With a 12:50 departure I'd probably just wake up early and [b]get in line before 7, then kill time airside.
Yeah, that alone makes the hotel worth it...
Old May 24, 2022, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by terrier
I agree with malmostoso - just go from the Sheraton to the terminal before 7 and you'll be fine. Plenty of ways to kill time airside in the non-Schengen area - walking around, people watching, planespotting, checking out the mini rijksmuseum, (window)shopping if that's your thing, etc.
Honestly, I'd rather spend the money and switch from the Sheraton to Yotelair for the privilege of getting an extra couple hours of shut-eye... As long as we don't end up bringing checked luggage (apparently the hotel won't allow it and we'd need to keep it in a locker airside, which would defeat the purpose). Given our trip is a week long, I think we can get away with it.

Last edited by highlanderfil; May 24, 2022 at 8:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.