Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 2:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Arrived 7.45 for my 11.30 flight and got through security & passport control within 20 minutes. Priority lane & handluggage only, with ready2fly. It seems that the priority lane was well managed, as they directed us from a rather crowded priority lane to an empty one! Perfect
Now stuck at the lounge for a few hours, but could be worse
Old May 24, 2022, 2:09 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by HadesNL
PS2: see if you spot Benschop? He might be still in a Q to fly to Davos *ahum*
He is on his way home from Davos.
Old May 24, 2022, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
He might as well stay there,he talks a lot but says nothing.
Old May 24, 2022, 2:49 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Gulbra
Live from the battlefield 08:00. Not the same massive line yet.
Security with sky priority took exactly 10 minutes.
Thanks for the impressions! For reference if anyone is using these pics to estimate crowd levels for their flight: Today is classified as a "Busy day" according to Schiphol. Yesterday was an "Extremely busy day".
Old May 24, 2022, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Is there any prospect of them sorting this out in the short term? Would generally assume staffing issues to be a ~6 month problem at best.

Contemplating a trip back to the UK, but this is giving me serious pause as it would likely be an easyJet trip and my wife is American so can't join Privium.
Old May 24, 2022, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by highlanderfil
I'm glad I found this thread. We've got a flight out of Schiphol to Detroit on August 21st (Sunday), departing at 12:50 (so, ostensibly right in the middle of the busiest time). Currently planning to stay at the Sheraton next to the terminal. If the situation isn't resolved by then, is it worth perhaps paying extra to stay at Yotelair instead? Assume security won't be such a mess in the evening due to fewer flights leaving... And would upgrading to Premium Select (so, SkyPriority) give us any advantages in skipping the security lines?
SkyPriority usually helps with the security line, though there have been days this year where they've abandoned/closed all priority lines so it's not a guarantee. The VIP centre (https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/schiphol-vip-service/) can get you through faster, but at a significant price (€471.90 for the first passenger, €211.75 for each additional passenger), and they still ask for at least 90 minutes.

I agree with malmostoso - just go from the Sheraton to the terminal before 7 and you'll be fine. Plenty of ways to kill time airside in the non-Schengen area - walking around, people watching, planespotting, checking out the mini rijksmuseum, (window)shopping if that's your thing, etc.
Old May 24, 2022, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by etiene
Is there any prospect of them sorting this out in the short term? Would generally assume staffing issues to be a ~6 month problem at best.

Contemplating a trip back to the UK, but this is giving me serious pause as it would likely be an easyJet trip and my wife is American so can't join Privium.
I think you're right that there's no way this gets better in the short term. Lots of ways to get to the UK without going through Schiphol, though. Eurostar, obviously, but also from Rotterdam/The Hague Airport you can get to London-City (BA) or Edinburgh (Transavia). Ryanair serves Stansted, Edinburgh, and Manchester from Eindhoven, and Stansted from Maastricht/Aachen. And then there are the ferries...
Old May 24, 2022, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by terrier
SkyPriority usually helps with the security line, though there have been days this year where they've abandoned/closed all priority lines so it's not a guarantee. The VIP centre (https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/schiphol-vip-service/) can get you through faster, but at a significant price (€471.90 for the first passenger, €211.75 for each additional passenger), and they still ask for at least 90 minutes.

I agree with malmostoso - just go from the Sheraton to the terminal before 7 and you'll be fine. Plenty of ways to kill time airside in the non-Schengen area - walking around, people watching, planespotting, checking out the mini rijksmuseum, (window)shopping if that's your thing, etc.
Privium worked fine,on my last 3 flights last week no queue at all and straight through security.My colleague reported no problems either this morning.
Old May 24, 2022, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by etiene
Schiphol itself says that people should expect the airport to be very busy all summer. Days like yesterday are still the exception rather than the rule: we flew on May 7 and were through security and passport control in 10 minutes, and I heard from around ten friends since then who were all through in less than 30 minutes. But you can be unlucky and find yourself in queues like yesterday’s.
Old May 24, 2022, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Report from the battlefront

Dropped off at 10:25, reached the airside Privium Express Lounge at 10:50.

- no queues outside, nor inside on the check-in level.

- SkyPriority and Privium gates open. Direct access to the latter, everybody else had to go through a tensa barrier maze. Didn't take long, a colleague who went through the maze just beat me to the stairs, as I had stopped for half a minute at the Privium gate to take pics.

- upstairs direct access to the Privium gate, nobody ahead of me. Three people loading trays at the priority checkpoint and one person ahead of me in line (same colleague).
- the screening took far too long, due to general incompetence. While I was there three different staff members manned the x-ray. They spent more time talking to each other than looking at the screen, and 50%+ went to secondary, including both my colleague's trays and one of mine. For no good reason of course. The five (!) staff struggled to login to the terminal that shows the x-ray images, and were generally completely disorganized. Things only got moving again when an agent from the adjacent regular lane took over.

- the line to regular security zigged back and zagged forth, but kept moving.

In sum, it could have been much much worse. It is obvious that if the screening process was organized and executed professionally and efficiently the lines would be far shorter. More staff is surely needed, but competence is also a huge issue.

Privium gate far right

Regular security line upstairs.

Privium Express Lounge
Old May 24, 2022, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Miscellaneous Privium observations

- Privium Express Lounge was supposed to be open until 9 p.m., but will close at 1 p.m. due to staff shortages. They have nobody to replace the lounge agent whose shift ends at 1.30 p.m.

- lounge not very busy, never over a dozen patrons. Breakfast catering very meager by Privium standards.

- agent assured me that on days like yesterday Privium members can bypass all lines outside and go through the nearest entrance door simply by showing their card. I hope I never have to try.

- somebody tried to get into the lounge with an expired card. He had let his membership lapse in 2020 (wonder why?), and not paid up, despite four reminders. He was told he could renew his membership on the spot if he paid his dues for 2020, 2021 & 2022. He declined. The agent also said that he could have asked to have his membership paused, in which case he would not have been charged for the pandemic years.

- agent confirmed that Privium has received a tsunami of new applications in the past few months. I hope they all go for the basic membership, to avoid lounge overcrowding.

Johan
Old May 24, 2022, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
- Privium Express Lounge was supposed to be open until 9 p.m., but will close at 1 p.m. due to staff shortages. They have nobody to replace the lounge agent whose shift ends at 1.30 p.m.

- lounge not very busy, never over a dozen patrons. Breakfast catering very meager by Privium standards.

- agent assured me that on days like yesterday Privium members can bypass all lines outside and go through the nearest entrance door simply by showing their card. I hope I never have to try.

- somebody tried to get into the lounge with an expired card. He had let his membership lapse in 2020 (wonder why?), and not paid up, despite four reminders. He was told he could renew his membership on the spot if he paid his dues for 2020, 2021 & 2022. He declined. The agent also said that he could have asked to have his membership paused, in which case he would not have been charged for the pandemic years.

- agent confirmed that Privium has received a tsunami of new applications in the past few months. I hope they all go for the basic membership, to avoid lounge overcrowding.

Johan
That American Champagne however looks delicious
Old May 24, 2022, 4:31 am

Trade union FNV wants better work conditions and fewer passengers before June 1st, or else…… (link in Dutch)

Also a nice video of yesterday’s mess in that link….
Old May 24, 2022, 4:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by johan rebel

Johan
The lounges will be more busy because recently SQ Premium pax will have access to the Privium Lounge. I think only Business Class pax and not *G members, but it can still bring a lot of more passengers in the morning.
Old May 24, 2022, 4:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Originally Posted by jongesander
The lounges will be more busy because recently SQ Premium pax will have access to the Privium Lounge. I think only Business Class pax and not *G members, but it can still bring a lot of more passengers in the morning.
jongesander : Interesting news!
Is this a recent feature from your last trip to Lombok.....?
and will this be during the summer months?

Anything better then the G*D awful Aspire lounge!
(which is still mentioned on SQ lounge website)

And i know see the Privium lounges have become pay4use for non members:
https://www.schiphol.nl/en/privium/a...r-journey/Even if you are not a Privium member, you can enjoy all the convenience and comfort of one of the Privium Lounges. Costs:
  • Privium ClubLounge Departures: € 50
  • Privium ClubLounge West: € 60
  • Privium ExpressLounge: € 40

Last edited by HadesNL; May 24, 2022 at 5:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.