Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Old May 20, 2022, 2:30 pm

Today it might have been that the storms around the country caused some of the delays (and cancellations). I also see that for tomorrow already there are already 15-20 cancellations?
Old May 21, 2022, 12:27 am

Finally some good news,the terminal is busy once more this Saturday morning but security lines no more than 15 mins i would say.
SP and Privium no queues whatsover!
Currently enjoying a light breakfast in the Privium Express Lounge
Old May 21, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by offvoice
I booked a Thalys that departs 1 hour exactly after I land from JED (International). I was thinking that it was plenty of time until I saw what the outbound looked like last sunday.

Should I leave directly upon landing or is it a mess as well and it's better to postpone the train segment?
i decided to risk it, and of course my flight was 30 min late .
I landed in AMS yesterday from the Gulf at 2:05pm at the furthest parking spot in the E concourse (E24). I was the first to exit the plane at 2:07 (I talked to the crew, explaining I had a Thalys at 2:34) and literally ran through the terminal to clear custom (probably lost 1:30 min because the custom guys were also at the exit of the plane directly), and cleared custom (to exit, not transit) without hold luggage quickly (I was able to use the automatic gates (2 PAX in front of me). All automatic gates were open, and there was probably 5 desks open.

I was on the Thalys tracks at 2:21, so 14 min from passing the plane door to being at the train station.

0/10 would do it again, but glad I made it!
Old May 21, 2022, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offvoice
I was on the Thalys tracks at 2:21
It would appear that you managed to get off those tracks again before the train pulled in, or you would not have been able to tell us about your experience.

Johan
Old May 21, 2022, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Heard from a FB Gold colleague that it took him an hour to get airside just before noon last Monday.

Johan
Old May 21, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: FB Plat
Is there any plan or idea for how things will continue at AMS?
The airport is still blaming it on the holidays, and the website projects most coming days as "peak travel day", but at that point that is not believable.
Old May 21, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum, TK Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by AnaTFN
The airport is still blaming it on the holidays.
Staff shortages. No holidays in The Netherlands at the moment.
Old May 21, 2022, 9:15 am

Precisely like this.

Until the airlines stop flying to AMS what are passengers going to do?

A few might decide to move their connections elsewhere, but most people will still buy the cheapest ticket and/or are captive of AMS.
Old May 21, 2022, 9:16 am

The airport is still blaming it on the holidays, and the website projects most coming days as "peak travel day", but at that point that is not believable.
I expect this to last the whole summer.This morning security was a breeze,however there was no staff to refuel the aircraft so the flight was delayed for an hour.
Old May 21, 2022, 10:46 am

I arrived this afternoon (Saturday) after 6pm for an evening NS flight. Both security and passport control were like 30 sec. wait.
Old May 21, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: FB Gold
I think all of the major European airports are going to be like this all summer.....I guess best to expect the worst and just be pleasantly surprised if the priority queue doesn't extend out the door.

Huge rebound in TATL and intra-Europe traffic + reduced staffing = bit of a cluster.
Old May 22, 2022, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After the meivakantie disaster, when at least seven colleagues missed their flights, my employer has decided that all pax departing from AMS must be at the airport 4+ hours before STD, regardless of destination. We can look forward to a summer of fun, either standing in various lines, or hanging around in lounges.

Johan
Old May 22, 2022, 3:24 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Out of curiosity, those missed flights - were those rebooked by the airline (for free), or did the TA have to step in for a noshow change?
Old May 22, 2022, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those seven were only the tip of the iceberg, there were undoubtedly more that I have not heard of (yet). Then there were all those whose flights were canceled, I know of seven so far. Those who actually made their flights have enthusiastically shared the lurid details of their horrific Schiphol adventures, complete with pictures scary enough to convince most people to try walking to their destination instead.

In those instances where I have all the details, the airline was willing to rebook, but not on the next flight. The TA was somehow able to pull strings and get them on the next flight anyway in under ten minutes, so there were open seats. Fully flexible tickets, no idea why the airline could/would not do it. As for the canceled flights, some were handled properly by the airline, in other cases the TA booked new tickets on another carrier.

Johan
Old May 22, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
40 minutes to get through security and and passport control this afternoon, albeit with Priority security. Not as bad as it could have been, but pretty grim nonetheless.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.