FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

AnaTFN Nov 18, 2022 8:35 am

Originally Posted by etiene (Post 34767723)
Arrived on the train at 1442 and settled down with a beer by 1459, including a stop at Albert Heijn. Zero queue at security in Departures 3, but Privium did allow me to avoid a fairly long line at the border.

Good to hear that, my latest US trips have been three times through AMS and one through CDG, and from the three times in AMS only once I could use the Privium gates, the other two times they were not operational.

maalloc Nov 18, 2022 3:12 pm

Data point from S -> NS yesterday at 8PM: zero queue. Automated gates closed but wait time was less than 2 minutes

Arpoador Nov 19, 2022 7:28 am

Schiphol today 15:25. Security was completely deserted. With priority i was through in what felt like 1 minute. Non-priority would have been the same.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0b493a838.jpeg

lloydje33 Nov 19, 2022 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Gulbra (Post 34770100)
Schiphol today 15:25. Security was completely deserted. With priority i was through in what felt like 1 minute. Non-priority would have been the same.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0b493a838.jpeg

It was exactly the same this morning at 6 am. Zero queues at priority and max 5 min at regular lines due to zigzagging.

Symmetre Nov 19, 2022 5:53 pm

Another data point - Friday at 6:30 am there were maybe 8 people ahead of me in the priority lane, and maybe 60 in the regular line. Through security in less than 5 minutes.

Antonio8069 Nov 22, 2022 6:39 am

November 10 - 20 experience

I got a UA flight out of AMS at 09:15 on November 20, and had no issues.
The only wait lines were in the duty free shops!
At 8:45 am, I did see a sign asking passengers to not enter the secure zone if your flight is in more than 4 h. Makes sense, IMO.
Watching this thread, I have come to the conclusion we are really talking about two distinct issues i.e. arriving at AMS, versus departing AMS.
On arrival (Nov 10), I experienced a long wait times at passport control. As others have stated, only two positions were open for non EU arrivals, Unacceptable, IMO.
More interesting was the fact that the waiting area was full of uninstalled machines? Seems like Holland is working on a automated system. Bring it on...........

Fabo.sk Nov 22, 2022 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 34776808)
The only wait lines were in the duty free shops!
At 8:45 am, I did see a sign asking passengers to not enter the secure zone if your flight is in more than 4 h. Makes sense, IMO.
Watching this thread, I have come to the conclusion we are really talking about two distinct issues i.e. arriving at AMS, versus departing AMS.
On arrival (Nov 10), I experienced a long wait times at passport control. As others have stated, only two positions were open for non EU arrivals, Unacceptable, IMO.
More interesting was the fact that the waiting area was full of uninstalled machines? Seems like Holland is working on a automated system. Bring it on...........

This is relatively new. Schiphol has now been able to get up to speed with security control staffing. The new hires are getting comfortable with their job and don't take ages to do absolutely everything.

KMar meanwhile, the government arm responsible for passport control and immigration, is not able to get enough people in and absenteeism/sick leave rate is high.
The machines have been in place forever, however, they still require a KMar officer to oversee. It's been common lately that KMar rather staffs one more booth than spare the officer for the machines.

stijnec Nov 23, 2022 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 34776808)

Have you ever entered the US as a non-citizen? Waiting times of one hour or more are very common for years and years, also unacceptable but little improvement is made over the years in the US. As a US citizen you are allowed to use the automated machines in The Netherlands, Dutch citizens keep waiting in line in the US.......

terrier Nov 23, 2022 2:15 am

Originally Posted by stijnec (Post 34779054)
Have you ever entered the US as a non-citizen? Waiting times of one hour or more are very common for years and years, also unacceptable but little improvement is made over the years in the US. As a US citizen you are allowed to use the automated machines in The Netherlands, Dutch citizens keep waiting in line in the US.......

This is edging off-topic, but there's a misconception here.

US citizens are NOT allowed to use the e-gates at Schiphol - or any other Schengen or EU entry point I'm aware of - to ENTER.

At Schiphol, US citizens over age 16 are allowed to use the machines to EXIT Schengen only (and still have to get an exit stamp from KMar after passing through the gate). (Meanwhile the US has no comparable exit control lines.)

As a US citizen, I've often waited in hour-plus lines to enter the US - the US citizen/LPR lines are often longer than the non-citizen lines, depending on the arrival airport, time of day, and season. I've often looked longingly at the nearly-empty non-citizen/LPR lines at JFK T4 when coming in on DL49, but have given up trying to use them as I've always been redirected by staff to the back of the US citizen line. The grass isn't always greener, etc.

malmostoso Nov 23, 2022 4:31 am

I've dropped family off at the M gates twice in the last two days and there the situation seems normal (i.e. no lines).

etiene Nov 23, 2022 6:18 am

Originally Posted by terrier (Post 34779101)
As a US citizen, I've often waited in hour-plus lines to enter the US - the US citizen/LPR lines are often longer than the non-citizen lines, depending on the arrival airport, time of day, and season. I've often looked longingly at the nearly-empty non-citizen/LPR lines at JFK T4 when coming in on DL49, but have given up trying to use them as I've always been redirected by staff to the back of the US citizen line. The grass isn't always greener, etc.

On the other hand, I've had at least a couple of points of entry flat out ignore the non-resident line until the resident's line was cleared. Neither caused a long wait fortunately, but seemed pretty crap nonetheless.

Xandrios Nov 23, 2022 11:42 am

Originally Posted by etiene (Post 34779379)
On the other hand, I've had at least a couple of points of entry flat out ignore the non-resident line until the resident's line was cleared. Neither caused a long wait fortunately, but seemed pretty crap nonetheless.

Absolutely. It sucks waiting in line for literally an hour while residents just walk past in a virtually non existent residence line. Not a great 'welcome to the states' kind of vibe. Especially when this happens at 5AM after a terrible redeye flight.

BobTL Nov 29, 2022 10:32 am

Today wasn’t a good morning at AMS. Many flights delayed because of foggy weather. Mine, KL1342, was 3 hours delayed and missed connection. Captain said only 1/3 of runway capacity was available (17 take off/landings instead of 54 per hour). Things calmed down in the afternoon.

caliform Dec 1, 2022 7:45 am

Dec 1

Flying on KL601 today, and security was basically empty on the priority side. Somewhat long wait for the SP check in desks (about 3-4 people in line at each desk) but otherwise smooth sailing. Was through in 15 minutes.

Joriarty Dec 1, 2022 7:55 am

We’re flying out at 10:15 on Sunday (non-Schengen), and the Schiphol website predicts “normal” queues. We’re staying overnight at the CitizenM, so fingers crossed we can sleep in a bit and then breeze quickly through check-in and security.

Any recent experience with mid-morning flights?

I can only assume that short queues are once again the norm, even for non-SP passengers.