Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
Didn't get a chance to post this earlier, but the pictures below are from last Thursday, at around 10am, non-schengen. It's a huge line of people trying to exit towards baggage claim in between D and E piers. There were reports in the media of this issue on saturday, with Schiphol claiming the holiday period, but this was thursday, well before the holiday period.

Fortunately, I was departing myself. I was thinking to myself though what I would have done if I would have had to exit to landside at that moment. Just cutting the line with Privium pass in hand ("excuse me sir, passing through") wouldn't feel right and probably not sit well with some folks in line. I think I would have just passed over to the Schengen side and exited towards baggage hall 1, or walked over to the other exit towards baggage hall 3.

Anyway, the departure experience was ok, as usual. Several free counters in the SkyPriority checkin area. Still a barrier between the SP checkin area and the escalator and entrance guarded. No seperation between Privium and Skypriority upstairs, small line. Got through in about 5 minutes.

Privium lounge relatively quiet, but tables full with used plates. Had to clean out a table myself. Moved to Lounge 52 afterwards, which was pretty busy, but doable.

End of the line, almost at the Schengen wall

Start of the line, passage to immigrations/baggage hall in between D and E, looking towards the B/C/D.
AnaTFN likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: FB Plat
I witnessed the same October 7th (a Friday) around 9am. I was in transit, not heading out, but I also had the idea of crossing NS->S to then exit that way, if I had Amsterdam as final destination, since the connecting passport control didn’t look bad.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pau3590
there are 5 kids (-18) in WBC its the first time this much, 3 are litlle ones.
It happens, perhaps more frequently on flights to vacation destinations such as CUR. Nothing you can do about it, so just roll with the punches. Earphones, earplugs, focusing on playing online games may all be of help. Look on the bright side, at least you are not on a night flight being kept awake by a chorus of babies crying their lungs out.

Johan
Didymis likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AnaTFN
I witnessed the same October 7th (a Friday) around 9am. I was in transit, not heading out, but I also had the idea of crossing NS->S to then exit that way, if I had Amsterdam as final destination, since the connecting passport control didn’t look bad.
The KMar has said that on busy days they will prioritize departures and transit to ensure that pax do not miss their flights, leaving arrivals in the lurch.

Johan
wrp96, AnaTFN and atflyer like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by johan rebel
The KMar has said that on busy days they will prioritize departures and transit to ensure that pax do not miss their flights, leaving arrivals in the lurch.

Johan
So, not only a problem with security staff then. Also lack of KMAR. Note that Schiphol still handles less passengers as in 2019, so apparently also KMAR is not yet at the level of 2019.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 2:52 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by emiratesftw
Sorry for the late reply but it wasn’t necessary at all. We actually had a friend of ours come with us last minute who doesn’t have SP either. When checking in not a word was said about it. The agent printed SP on both our boarding passes and our friends (which was great obv) and we could proceed up the stairs to the priority security area where the SP check was visual
Thanks for reporting back. So just to make sure I got it right: at check-in, the staff is able to print the SP logo on the BP of someone without status? Interesting.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
I'm flying out of AMS to a Schengen destination on Sunday morning, take off at 7:15am. I'm SkyPriority and traveling with hand baggage only. Is aiming at arriving 1h before boarding time large enough?
Schipol website is saying I should arrive at 3:15am (I guess they don't know I have SkyPriority) and it's a peak day.
I had a very similar departure time and travel profile as you and was very very pleased I arrived no less than 1.75 hours in advance, as my gate was the farthest gate possible. I had about 15 minutes to gulp down lounge breakfast and my flight was boarding as I arrived at the gate.
SkyteamEP likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by johan rebel

Johan
Arriving yesterday at the E-pier around 13:45 and a huge line for passports was forming behind me (it helps walking fast) as they wouldn't let us go down to the arrivals passport check. Eventually I was let in and I was surprised that nobody used the e-gates. I asked the staff if I could use them and he said "Of course!". And only then started to announce that Dutch passports (!) could use the e-gates. This was not a lack of KMAR personnel, this was a lack of competent Schiphol staff.
wrp96, AnaTFN, atflyer and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingRVS
Thanks for reporting back. So just to make sure I got it right: at check-in, the staff is able to print the SP logo on the BP of someone without status? Interesting.
Yes, it's possible and if you ask nicely most of the times they will.
FlyingRVS likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 2:19 pm

deleted

Last edited by TGW5; Oct 19, 2022 at 2:47 pm
Old Oct 19, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by TGW5
Hi, I'm considering booking a Schengen flight from AMS, departing at 3pm on a Wednesday in mid-November. The problem is that I would not be able to get to Schiphol earlier than about 12:45-1pm. Would this be enough time, or too risky? I'm thinking that middle of the day on a working day in mid-November shouldn't normally be too busy, but then again I'm not sure how that would translate to security waiting times. I don't have any priority. What do you guys think? Thanks
No one really knows I am afraid. If you scroll this thread, you see horror stories and moments that things are a breeze for non priority. The inpredictability is the issue. I had a LCY flight at 5 pm on a Wed a few weeks ago, arrived at 1, thanks to priority did security in 20 minutes (a clearly longer line as usual though) and passport control was another minute without queue. I had planned working in lounge but upon asking KLM put me even on a 2 hour earlier flight. But the non-prio line looked not good at all, without that I can say 2 hours would not be sufficient.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by atflyer
No one really knows I am afraid. If you scroll this thread, you see horror stories and moments that things are a breeze for non priority. The inpredictability is the issue. I had a LCY flight at 5 pm on a Wed a few weeks ago, arrived at 1, thanks to priority did security in 20 minutes (a clearly longer line as usual though) and passport control was another minute without queue. I had planned working in lounge but upon asking KLM put me even on a 2 hour earlier flight. But the non-prio line looked not good at all, without that I can say 2 hours would not be sufficient.
Ok, thanks! I ended up booking a later, significantly more expensive flight.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 9:43 pm

Newbie question - Does the SP logo on the top right of the BP suffice to avail of SP lanes at security and passport control etc. at Schipol? Is the logo the only thing that airport staff check before we can join the SP lanes?

During my flight to New Delhi from LA via AMS on KLM at the end of Sep, I had upgraded my seat from EC to Premium Comfort during check in and had the SP logo on my BP even though the BP said boarding category of Zone 3. Going from US to India, there was no checking at Schiphol and transit simply involved walking over from one gate to the next so I dont have an idea of what staff check for the SP lanes.

I have my return flight via AMS (New Delhi back to LA on KLM) at the end of Oct and plan to upgrade to Premium Comfort from Economy Comfort. Assuming that I can get a PC seat, I just want to make sure that the SP logo printed on BP is what is required at Schiphol since my transit time is about 2 hours.

Thanks as always!

Last edited by newbiegal; Oct 19, 2022 at 9:56 pm
Old Oct 20, 2022, 12:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Agneisse
As someone who has not flown from AMS in several years and arrived by train this morning, I found the signage for priority security to be really quite clear (perhaps it was more confusing in May/June). The key is that before the gantries where the boarding pass is scanned, someone is checking your boarding pass to determine eligibility.

There are also instructions in this thread. If you really cannot find it, wait for someone who seems like they know where they are going and are in a First/Business check-in queue to finish checking in, and follow them (in a non suspicious way of course).
Thank you! We actually exited the train to the lounge in under 40 min (20 of which were to queue for passport control). SP line was empty for security and no line at the stairs. Overall quite quiet. That was this Tuesday early afternoon.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 1:44 am

Programs: FB Gold
Data point from this morning, 20 October:

Colleague traveling KLM AMS-ORD, she has no status. Arrived by train at 8:30 AM. Checked in bag, went through security and passport control in 45 minutes, of which 20 minutes spent in security queue.
AnaTFN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.