Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KLM has extended its wet lease contract for two E190s with German Airways, as it doesn't have enough crew to operate its own fleet. I have this feeling that Schiphol's capacity caps have come at an opportune moment for KLM, allowing the latter to point finger at the former when cutting back schedules.

Johan
atflyer and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roelb
Why be loyal for all-J business travel if you then can't even take your SO through priority security once or twice a year?.
I suspect that the vast majority of all-J flyers are doing so on somebody else's dime, either their employer's or their customers', and have no or limited say when it comes to picking airline(s) our routings. The minority who pay out of their own pocket will in all likelihood buy J on leisure trips as well.

Selfish me prefers as short queues at security as possible, which means strictly policing access. The fewer cheaters, the better.

Johan
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Privium West has had better days. Literally every table has empty glasses, bottles or plates on them.

time to clean I'd say.

that said, airside lounge two is deserted:

landside, wanted to post this earlier...

Picture from the infamous sign and no departure time check

Priority eligibility check dragon being bored.
Maestro Ramen likes this.

Last edited by b12e; Oct 4, 2022 at 11:04 am
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by b12e
Privium West has had better days. Literally every table has empty glasses, bottles or plates on them. time to clean I'd say..
Yikes! Eeks! Yikes!

When was that? Late afternoon or early evening?

There's even somebody sitting in my favorite seat! What's the place coming to?

Johan
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Yikes! Eeks! Yikes!

Johan
It was live coverage 😊 that said, all better now!

Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exciting News!

Polderbaan will close for maintenance next week, from Monday through Friday. I would have preferred five years over five days, but hey . . . .

Johan
wrp96, EvD86, etiene and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
KLM has extended its wet lease contract for two E190s with German Airways, as it doesn't have enough crew to operate its own fleet. I have this feeling that Schiphol's capacity caps have come at an opportune moment for KLM, allowing the latter to point finger at the former when cutting back schedules.

Johan
I thought KLM Cityhopper was going to go independent, the way Eurowings has for Lufthansa.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:23 pm

Transit through AMS on Sep 30th - US to India flight. No security or any check of any kind for transiting passengers. Just walked from Gate F to Gate E. Baggage arrived in Delhi with no issues. Was able to check location via airtag which was a fun time pass.
GUWonder and Xandrios like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Yikes! Eeks! Yikes!

Johan
I'm hoping it was dinner rush before SQ departure.

Definitely not normal operation.

Polderbaan will close for maintenance next week, from Monday through Friday. I would have preferred five years over five days, but hey . . . .

Johan
Bets on where I will land Friday night. ugh.

Originally Posted by Concerto
I thought KLM Cityhopper was going to go independent, the way Eurowings has for Lufthansa.
KLC is more aking to Lufthansa Cityline rather than Eurowings. Same service, different planes (though LH Cityline is getting into A32F now...), cheaper and younger staff.

AFKL have Transavia to account for LCC branch.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
KLC is more akin to Lufthansa Cityline . . . cheaper and younger staff.
Cabin crew, yes; but the pilots are on mainline contracts. Pilot union VNV has had KLM in vice-like grip pretty much since forever.

Johan
dubistokay likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 5:47 am

Cabin crew, yes; but the pilots are on mainline contracts. Pilot union VNV has had KLM in vice-like grip pretty much since forever.

Johan
As far as i know, KLC pilots are mainline but work under a subsection of the CLA for lower costs and different work and rest rules.
johan rebel likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum, TK Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by AnaTFN
What do you mean by "regular priority"? isn't there only one priority line where everyone gets mixed? (Privium, sky priority, other airlines priority...)
I meant the one in the picture. If you have Privium, you’ll have multiple options (see Wiki or previous posts).
Old Oct 6, 2022, 3:16 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Colleague reported a ~5 minute wait for the regular Schengen (Departure 1) security line this morning at ~9AM. This is without any kind of priority. The waiting times really are all over the place, totally unpredictable.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 8:36 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
https://www.nu.nl/economie/6228280/b...-roosters.html

Apparently an additional 2,50 euro has been agreed on top of the recent pay increases for security staff, starting this November. This results in a total ~40 % wage increase.
johan rebel and thomas199023 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: FB Plat
Flying today from the US to AMS, arriving tomorrow to then connect with a flight to OSL. I wake up to a message that AMS-OSL has been cancelled, and no option to rebook myself on-line. The Platinum line has only bad options:
  1. KLM has no other flights that day to Oslo that they could get me in. All full.
    1. One had a seat in business but they cannot rebook me in C only for one flight, would need to change for both including the long-haul, not possible
  2. Look to partner airlines and also no options to get me to Oslo, not even SAS and the others
  3. Could change my entire itinerary to one day later, but that would still get me to another Norwegian airport (no OSL) and they won't take care of my extra night in the US. Also, the long-haul has also been cancelled a few times this week so I'm not risking it.
  4. Can get me into an AMS-OSL for one day later (so I land 26 hours before my next flight) but they won't provide hotel.

I will get a hotel and ask for a reimbursement after. Took screenshots of lack of options and the man on the phone said he would also write a note explaining they had no way to get me to Oslo without an over night on the ground.
​​​​​​​
His explanation: Schiphol has been making us cancel flights on short notice and we not always have room to accommodate all our passengers, it has been a mess for a while, thank you for your understanding bla bla bla....
And his advice: don't leave your suitcase in transit, ask to check it only to AMS and take it with you for the night. Baggage staff at Schiphol is struggling to keep up and a long transit suitcase could be left behind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.