Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue

KLM Flying Dutchman

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 22, 22, 2:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: GUWonder
Wiki Link
The latest suggestions and state of the Mess in Amsterdam of Summer '22 - short staffing and security issues.

Starting late April/early May 2022, Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is showing signs of chronic, and at times extreme, overcrowding. This thread is dedicated largely to the discussion of the same.

We have created this wiki to have a single point of reference, updated periodically with tips, tricks and reports of current state.

Bottlenecks

As of June 2nd, there are 2 bottlenecks at the airport.
1. Entrance to the terminal building from outside (arrival by car)
2. Security checks.

As of June 20th, unsatisfactory situation has been reported also on all arrival passport checks.

Tips to deal with Entrance to the terminal building lines

As of July 3rd, you could enter the terminal from train station without hindrance. On travel heavy days, consider getting dropped off at Hoofdorp, Zuid or Lelylaan and taking a train one station instead.
Privium holders are reportedly able to bypass lines by showing the Privium card.
Note: Schiphol is sometimes limiting access to passengers 4 hours before the flight, both from outside and through Schiphol plaza.
The checks do happen, but you are very likely to be able to bypass them from Schiphol Plaza (arrival by train or bus) by using the lift or stairs instead of inclined travelators.

Tips to deal with Security lines

There are currently three departure checkpoints into the main terminal area (plus one for the lowcost wing). Departures 1 and 2 are used for Schengen flights, Departures 2 and 3 for non-Schengen. (You can, however, turn left after leaving checkpoint for Departures 1 and reach exit control).
You don't have to use the checkpoint in your airlines departure area, so check if one of the other ones has a shorter line. However keep in mind that transfer passport control might bring additional delay.
If you have priority, ignore the main entrances to the checkpoints, particularly 1 and 2. Especially ignore the line for the stairs to checkpoint 2. Enter via SkyPriority zone, either via front if you have STE+/SP, or via back from Oversized Baggage point. There is a Privium card reader if you are a holder, alternatively sneak by opening one-way gate by hand.
The stairs at the back of SP zone are now official and only access point for priority for Schengen. The position is manned and access rules are strictly enforced.
Once upstairs, you can enter the lines for Departures 2 directly, or take a left, then another left, and you'll find yourself in Departures 1 checkpoint area.
Once upstairs, staff direct you either to enter rightmost lane in checkpoint 2, or to turn left to proceed to leftmost lane of checkpoint 1.
Privium holders can alternatively use Privium gates at otherwise closed Departures 1 checkpoint entry (behind check-in row 3), join the rightmost lane of checkpoint 1. There is going to be some mixing with non-prio pax at the filter, but on the upside, there is guaranteed no non-Privium priority pax coming up the stairs so you are virtually guaranteed to have no more than ~5 people in the queue immediately in front of the filter.

Tips to deal with Immigration / Passport Control lines

There are four options for arriving (from secure location) passengers. One is to use transfer passport control, one is to use passport control by F gates and another is to use passport control by E gates. There are also stairs by end of D pier next to the transfer control. All these feed into different lines.
There is no trick, just see if one of the other ones is shorter, depending on where the majority of recently arrived flights are docked.

Passengers arriving from unsecure locations cannot reach these without going through transit security. The only option is to follow the signs for entry control.

If you really want to make sure you're safe and are willing to pay extra

Schiphol VIP services are available at 390 for the first, 175 for each additional passenger (excl. VAT; with VAT rates are 471.90+211.75)
VIP service is at capacity and is not accepting new reservations.

General timeline suggestions

For Privium passengers, 1 hour should be comfortable in almost all cases.
For SkyPriority passengers, 1.5 hours should be comfortable in almost all cases.
For other priority passengers, it really depends on whether the priority lines are open but I would personally aim for 1.5 - 2 hours. Worst case you can sneak into the SkyPriority area from the back and use the gates there (your BP will be accepted). The priority line behind SP area is now open to all prio pax.
For non-priority passengers, realistically, 4 hours should be enough except at the worst times. Anyone informed enough to post here will probably also understand that the entire airport (except the easyJet gates I guess) is connected airside and you can shop around the different security areas depending on how bad the lines look.

Common Questions

I'm transferring from a non-schengen to a non-schengen flight in XX, will I make it?
Yes, you will.
If you arrive from a secure area (EU, Schengen countries, UK, US, Canada, Singapore): You then navigate yourself within the departures area to your non-schengen flight out of AMS and this takes less than 20 minutes, even if you have to walk from D gates to G gates.
If you arrive from non-secure area (other than mentioned; SIN flights via DPS): You will have to follow transit signs for transit security. There are no reports of transit security taking unusually long.

If you want to print your BP for the next segment, there are many transfer check-in machines across the non-schengen gates for you to print your BP, do check-in/document check, change seat, and etc for your next flight. No security or immigration is involved and odds are, you will wait at the gate for boarding, If you are FB Gold and up, STE+, or flying in business class, you will have access to the Crown Lounge and can grab a bite, get some work done, take a shower, or rent one of the sleeping pods depending on how long your transit is.

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 17, 22, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by NLNO View Post
It seems Schiphol has chosen to end the summer bonus, they rather want to have problems for years to come than pay their employees a living wage.
I think at this point it's a game of chicken between Schiphol, AFKL, and the Dutch government.

Schiphol is probably looking to offset the costs to the airlines, AFKL is already dreading the next "green tax".

Both entities are too big to fail anyway, so the government will foot the bill somehow.
Old Sep 17, 22, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Isn’t it all about the moolah?

By removing or shutting down a moving walkway, the airport reduces costs to operate and maintain/repair those things.

This way, the airport is encouraging more exercise and doing its part to try to right-size the passengers for the tight seats so such passengers don’t overspill as much across/under the armrests.

And if the passengers miss a flight after arriving hotter and hungrier to a gate, more opportunity for the airport — and even perhaps the airline — to get the inconvenienced passengers to open their purses/wallets.
You must have missed the memo. It's all about saving the planet. This is also why we're no longer allowed real cutlery in KLM Euro J, or Flying Blue membership cards...

johan rebel and SkyteamEP like this.
Old Sep 17, 22, 6:44 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
I think at this point it's a game of chicken between Schiphol, AFKL, and the Dutch government.

Schiphol is probably looking to offset the costs to the airlines, AFKL is already dreading the next "green tax".

Both entities are too big to fail anyway, so the government will foot the bill somehow.
I hope not, the more so because I suspect the vast majority of those camping out for 4 hours near the Polderbaan are quite willing to pay a couple of euros to ensure that queues go back to 2019 and before levels (in my experience: never more than 30 minutes)

This problem is so easy to solve: apparently this summer 5 extra salary / hour did a lot to attract more security staff. Just pay those people sufficiently and charge the passengers 1 or 2 per person more.
boss315 likes this.

Last edited by Sjoerd; Sep 17, 22 at 6:55 am
Old Sep 17, 22, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BA850 View Post
You must have missed the memo. It's all about saving the planet. This is also why we're no longer allowed real cutlery in KLM Euro J, or Flying Blue membership cards...

Green-washing, love it. Not.

Started really missing working moving walkways at AMS during and from Q2 2020. Chalked that up to the airport being cheap. But then there was none of this 2022 mess.
BA850 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 22, 7:28 am

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
This problem is so easy to solve: apparently this summer €5 extra salary / hour did a lot to attract more security staff. Just pay those people sufficiently and charge the passengers €1 or €2 per person more.
It's not even that much:

4 crew on a security station
About 30 seconds per bag, about 1-2 bags per pax. So 45 seconds per pax.
Meaning that at peak about 80 pax per hour. On average..maybe 60.

So, in order to get that 20 euro extra per hour, that'd be 35 cents per pax..

I'm probably missing a hole lot regarding taxes and other costs associated, but OK, lets call it somewhere between 50 cents and a euro extra per pax. Looking at the new government tax increase of 20 bucks that's absolutely nothing.

I'm afraid though, that the problem lies elsewhere. Adding an extra euro per ticket requires the airlines to support that too. If they believe that its not worth it, or, that with the current fees Schiphol should already be able to handle this issue, they may refuse paying extra. Schiphol can only push and force the airlines till some point. If some airlines that work on lower margins would decide to reduce their flights that would result in a huge cost increase for Schiphol - which then would add to the problem rather than solving it.
boss315 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 22, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by HadesNL View Post
ArnoldB : thanks for posting live from the scene!
This Friday it has become a bit chilly outdoors so hopefully all people were waiting indoors instead of outdoors
Nope. The line went from T1 check-in area to T1A and after 10 slopes back to T1 but then outdoors on some streets away from the airport and back for 1 hour, but only around 40% of the way was covered by rain protection and even those were open on the side with cold wind coming in, it was like wind canal. Absolutely ridiculous and actually feeling a bit sick (as in unhealthy) today. Final waiting time ended up being 3 hours btw.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Sep 17, 22, 7:53 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Location: AMSTERDAM = one of those attic homes with steepstaircases of death
Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Ah that is sad to hear.....
Get well ASAP! And thanks for reminding me to take at least a coat and change shorts for some woollen bloomers !

EDIT: i just see this article on my feed:
https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieu...us-beschikbaar
Schiphol is providing umbrellas!

Last edited by HadesNL; Sep 17, 22 at 8:19 am
Old Sep 17, 22, 8:00 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
I'm afraid though, that the problem lies elsewhere. Adding an extra euro per ticket requires the airlines to support that too. If they believe that its not worth it, or, that with the current fees Schiphol should already be able to handle this issue, they may refuse paying extra. Schiphol can only push and force the airlines till some point. If some airlines that work on lower margins would decide to reduce their flights that would result in a huge cost increase for Schiphol - which then would add to the problem rather than solving it.
I believe the airlines would fully support the extra euro / passenger. Their current extra costs as a result of the mess @ Schiphol (delays, missed connections, bags left behind, rebooking passengers, etc., etc.) are probably much more than that one euro.

Schiphol is (almost) a monopolist. Passengers cannot go to another airport 250 meters down the road. When one or a few euros in extra fees per passenger are needed to ensure the airports primary process is functioning nobody will or should object.
Xandrios likes this.
Old Sep 17, 22, 9:53 am

https://nltimes.nl/2022/09/17/airpor...hiphol-flights

bad news for october
Quote:"Also like last summer, the largest operators will have to give up the most seats. For KLM, this will be about half of the average daily reduction of 9,250 passengers departing from Schiphol."
BA850 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 22, 9:59 am

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Does anybody happen to know if United PE offers/allows priority at Dep 3 at Schiphol?

I'm looking at a work trip and the KLM PE option is significantly more expensive than the United PE one. Traveling with non-status colleagues I'd lean towards KLM since that offers Skypriority. But if United does as well then that may work too. UA is not preferred (Would like to try KL PE), but still heaps better than KL Economy I'm sure..

Edit: Theoretically all pax on the same booking will receive Premier Access (=priority) if one of the pax has status. Not sure if that would work for AMS though, looking at the strict BP-checks for the priority line nowadays.

Last edited by Xandrios; Sep 17, 22 at 10:30 am
Old Sep 17, 22, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To comply with Schiphol's last minute demands, 34 KLM flights from AMS will depart empty today, but will return with pax. The pax booked on those flights from AMS were informed late last night they were out of luck.

KLM will repeat this bad joke tomorrow and Monday, but the number of flights affected is not yet known.

Source (in Dutch)

Johan
LETTERBOY and BA850 like this.
Old Sep 17, 22, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
Does anybody happen to know if United PE offers/allows priority at Dep 3 at Schiphol?

I'm looking at a work trip and the KLM PE option is significantly more expensive than the United PE one. Traveling with non-status colleagues I'd lean towards KLM since that offers Skypriority. But if United does as well then that may work too. UA is not preferred (Would like to try KL PE), but still heaps better than KL Economy I'm sure..

Edit: Theoretically all pax on the same booking will receive Premier Access (=priority) if one of the pax has status. Not sure if that would work for AMS though, looking at the strict BP-checks for the priority line nowadays.
This article indicates that Premier Access is included with the ‘Premium Plus’ fare: https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/t...o%20get,Seats.

‘Premier Access’ is noted on your boarding pass (electronic or hard copy). Here’s mine from when I (regrettably) had cause to fly UA this summer as an example:

A word of caution though: It’s just one snapshot, but at every step of the way, from the airport lounge, to the filthy plane and FAs who didn’t bother with a service, that was the worst flight I’ve had all year. In fact, the worst in some time. My advice would be to stick with KLM, although I appreciate price is a significant factor.
Old Sep 17, 22, 12:40 pm

Flew out to Schiphol and back from Manchester yesterday. EasyJet flight, no priority. Took 90 mins to get through security on the way back.

Ive tried searching but cant find a definitive answer. Easyjet Plus claims the benefit of priority for security at Schiphol however it has been said that Schiphol will not accept the Plus card. Has anyone got an Easyjet Plus account and has information on its acceptance. Looks like I will need to be using this flight route a lot in the near future so a way to minimise the security delay would be useful. KLM are only offering business flights as a return option from Schiphol to Manchester/Leeds which makes for an expensive round trip.

Thankyou.

Last edited by sashafox; Sep 17, 22 at 12:53 pm
Old Sep 17, 22, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sashafox View Post
Flew out to Schiphol and back from Manchester yesterday. EasyJet flight, no priority. Took 90 mins to get through security on the way back.
Welcome to FT.

Are you saying that security in MAN on the way back took 90 minutes? What about Schiphol on the way out?

Johan
Old Sep 17, 22, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
I believe the airlines would fully support the extra euro / passenger. When one or a few euros in extra fees per passenger are needed to ensure the airports primary process is functioning nobody will or should object.
Yeah, but Schiphol is already increasing fees and charges by 37% in three steps until 2024, I figure that's plenty enough.

Johan
BA850 likes this.

Search this Thread