FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

FlyingRVS Sep 9, 22 4:45 am

Skip the queues (also outside??) with Sky Priority?

Dear all,

Apologies for asking a question that may have already been answered somewhere in the many many posts. Here is my situation:

Flying to Florence from AMS on Sat 26 Sept with my wife. I am FB Gold with SP access. We both carry hand luggage only.
Wife is FB Silver so no SP, but, at Schiphol, in the past, she could always use the SP check-in area due to her Silver status. In the past we then both took the stairs upstairs to go though priority security.

Can someone please confirm (or correct) the following:

Wife and I can both use SP check-in area at Schiphol, meaning, Silver can still use SP check-in?
Wife and I can both use priority late through security (meaning, we can both still take the stairs upstairs from the SP check-in area?)

And most importantly:

Wife and I can both skip any queues outside the building (if any) and go straight to SP check-in area, and only there queue behind other FB Silver/Gold/Plat members with SP access.

Thank you in advance; feedback much appreciated,
FlyingRVS

Xandrios Sep 9, 22 4:53 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR (Post 34582599)
That is a big change from before. I wonder if they finally figured out that policing the entrance for silver members/companion pax is pointless if there are no lines anyway.

Its the first report of this being the case, however, it may have been a fluke. Attendant being away from their station for a few minutes could happen anywhere. I'd suggest we await a few more reports to see if there is a trend.

To be quite honest, I'm not sure if I'd be very happy about it not being policed. Even nowadays there still are days that lines are long. Not having that entrance policed at all would probably mean that some percentage of people (Silver members, ex-elites that know their way around the airport, and such) to use the fact that they can just walk through there and skip the long queues. Resulting of course in longer priority queues once again.

supersympa Sep 9, 22 5:12 am

Originally Posted by r0m8470 (Post 34573201)
I have a multi-city itinerary with the long hauls arriving/departing at AMS in Oct and Dec respectively. Should I be worried?

The itinerary:
YVR-AMS-FLR on J, all on KLM metal.
RNS-AMS-YVR on J, the short one is on AF Hop, with long haul on KLM.

The layover at AMS is short - 1 hr 5 min only, but it's way out in Dec after Christmas. The first leg is smack dab in mid October. DL issued the ticket (paid tickets, not awards). The RNS to AMS just got moved up, so our layover is getting shorter (as stated above) so there is an opportunity for us to change. Should we? By October, is there a light at the end of the tunnel so to speak ... ?

I take the RNS-AMS-Schengen (and vice versa) every month , keep in mind you do not arrive at a proper gate but transfer is by bus!
so it adds a good 15/20 mins to your transfer time!
Once again, I only transfer within Schengen, so I do not know how long it takes for the queue to Non schengen.

747jetter Sep 9, 22 8:01 am

AMS situation today, arrived on Saudi, 45 minutes before we could get to our gate, transfer was a zoo - one security check station opened and full area of pax waiting to go through. Staff was giving out free water.

Instead we went to Netherlands, EU passport pretty quick and through SP back to Schengen airside. Took us about 20 minutes to go to lounge. Which is busy, so many people have troubles with their flights, going for a shower I witnessed some emotional behaviour too.

I am not so surprised but the inconvenience for biz / SP flyers to transfer from non Schengen to Schengen annoys me all the time here.

tourguide Sep 9, 22 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by 747jetter (Post 34585510)
AMS situation today, arrived on Saudi, 45 minutes before we could get to our gate, transfer was a zoo - one security check station opened and full area of pax waiting to go through. Staff was giving out free water.

Instead we went to Netherlands, EU passport pretty quick and through SP back to Schengen airside. Took us about 20 minutes to go to lounge. Which is busy, so many people have troubles with their flights, going for a shower I witnessed some emotional behaviour too.

I am not so surprised but the inconvenience for biz / SP flyers to transfer from non Schengen to Schengen annoys me all the time here.

That is an interesting post 747jetter, thank you. So far most of us had the opinion that the waiting times for security from landside to airside (and especially non-priority) was the problem. And we often advised transfer passengers who were worried about their connection that connecting flights airside were not affected. This experience tells a different story though.....

johan rebel Sep 9, 22 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 34585257)
To be quite honest, I'm not sure if I'd be very happy about it not being police.

Yep. I've no qualms whatsoever being completely selfish about this. The fewer in line, the better. I prefer one ahead of me to two.

Johan

KLflyerRalph Sep 11, 22 2:57 am

Same time this morning (6:45h) was much busier compared to Thursday. Line at Departures 2 was closed and priority lane at Departures 1 had about 60 pax in front of me. Standard single line on the left hand side but at some point they ‘took’ another scanner from the regular queue. All-in all it took 25-30 minutes. Skyprio back entrance was enforced this time.
Colleague who passed around half an hour earlier had only a small wait.

DiKra Sep 11, 22 2:04 pm

Dear All,

Next Sunday, we will fly from Amsterdam to Doha, at 04:15 pm from terminal 3. It is our first time from Schiphol and I have a few questions. We reserved a parking slot in the parking garage of P3. There is a shuttle bus to the terminal. Will the bus stop directly at the terminal, or, if the queue is outside, at the end of the queue? Are the long queues only for the security gate or also for the check-in? I read a lot about the long queues, but only for terminal 1 and 2. Is it also the same for terminal 3? Did somebody have experience with the check-in with Qatar? We will fly business and normally they have a special check-in desk. Can we also use the priority lane or is it only for Sky members in AMS? Have everybody experiences with the luggage? I have seen the big mountains in the arrival hall. Do you have also lost your baggage? If yes, at departure or at the return flight? Do they try to send it to you, later?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

yno Sep 11, 22 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingRVS (Post 34585248)
Dear all,

Apologies for asking a question that may have already been answered somewhere in the many many posts. Here is my situation:

Flying to Florence from AMS on Sat 26 Sept with my wife. I am FB Gold with SP access. We both carry hand luggage only.
Wife is FB Silver so no SP, but, at Schiphol, in the past, she could always use the SP check-in area due to her Silver status. In the past we then both took the stairs upstairs to go though priority security.

Can someone please confirm (or correct) the following:

Wife and I can both use SP check-in area at Schiphol, meaning, Silver can still use SP check-in?
Wife and I can both use priority late through security (meaning, we can both still take the stairs upstairs from the SP check-in area?)

And most importantly:

Wife and I can both skip any queues outside the building (if any) and go straight to SP check-in area, and only there queue behind other FB Silver/Gold/Plat members with SP access.

Thank you in advance; feedback much appreciated,
FlyingRVS

Checking should be ok in AMS for both of you
However only the passenger with skypriority will be allowed through priority security.

SDQBound Sep 11, 22 9:01 pm

First of all, thank you to those who have provided valuable comments in this thread. While several posters indicated (and some in an aggressive tone) that transfer passengers should not worry, my experience today was far from good.

Inbound flight arrived 45 minutes late due to equipment delay in AMS. Once we arrived to AMS and with only 60 min to connect, we were advised that there was no one to connect the jetbridge and receive the flight. Several minutes later we were finally allowed to disembark.

Transfer passport control was really bad, with only 2-3 agents and an avalanche of passengers trying to connect to non-Schengen flights. Gate was a paxbus gate (E21) so we were among the last ones.

Even if the gate closed, we did not depart until an hour and an half after the scheduled departure time due to cargo and ramp staff shortage and due to staffing issues at the London control center.

FlyingRVS Sep 12, 22 2:28 am

Thank you yno.

But, in the past, from the Sky Priority check-in area my wife could always join me upstairs to the priority security queue. Has this changed?

Thanks,
FlyingRVS

FlyingRVS Sep 12, 22 2:30 am

Originally Posted by yno (Post 34591081)
Checking should be ok in AMS for both of you
However only the passenger with skypriority will be allowed through priority security.

Thank you yno.

But, in the past, from the Sky Priority check-in area my wife could always join me upstairs to the priority security queue. Has this changed?

Thanks,
FlyingRVS

malmostoso Sep 12, 22 2:35 am

Originally Posted by FlyingRVS (Post 34592170)

Yes. You can try and see if it's a quiet day and the access is not guarded, but make sure to have a plan B if you're at the airport late.

erik123 Sep 12, 22 4:59 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 34592178)
Yes. You can try and see if it's a quiet day and the access is not guarded, but make sure to have a plan B if you're at the airport late.

Just print out your boarding pass twice for show and tell. They don't seem to check very carefully.

FlyingRVS Sep 12, 22 6:23 am

Queues outside Schiphol: can Sky Priority skip that queue?

Another horrific day at Schiphol, I just read, with queues starting far outside the building.

My question: can I skip those queues and head straight to the entrance of the building given my Sky Priority / FG Gold status? The queue will have lots of people flying on different airlines and/or people without status. Is there some sort of crowd control system in place that allows travelers with SP to skip the queue outside the building and only start queueing at the SP area behind other travelers with SP?

If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate hearing about it. I don't want to join a queue if not necessary but at the same time don't want to get into arguments (or worse) with people in front of me either (I will though, if SP status allows to skip).

Thanks,
FlyingRVS