FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

mfkne Sep 5, 22 2:43 am

Transfers have not been known to be problematic.

mlin32 Sep 5, 22 3:37 am

Correspondances are not problematic, generally the issues occur for people originating at AMS.

That said, a 1h gap between flights is a little short for confort cuz if the inbound flight is delayed, there's a chance for a misconnect, although KLM will rebook and have to accomodate. Depending on when the next flight is, might be worth finding/asking an alternative.

CyBeR Sep 5, 22 3:40 am

You're not wrong but let it be clear that that is a general issue with short connections and not specific to AMS, especially if transferring from non-Schengen to Schengen or vice versa.

Thom00992 Sep 5, 22 10:25 am

Line outside for security looked really nasty today at around 14:30 CET, but priority security took less than 20 mins.

MichielR Sep 5, 22 11:03 am

Originally Posted by mfkne (Post 34573274)
Transfers have not been known to be problematic.

Just to confirm: Did a 70 min transfer (Schengen -> non-Schengen) yesterday (Sunday) around 19:00. No passport queue (I almost had to wake up the KMar) and no issue with my checked bag.

mangoMan Sep 5, 22 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by kochleffel (Post 34571060)
No wait at e-gates for Schengen exit. It appeared that most people who could have used them didn't try.

Excuse my ignorance, but who can use the e-gates? We have an upcoming connection at AMS, non-Schengen to Schengen, arriving from USA. I have both US and EU passports but my wife only has US. I don't suppose we can use e-gates?

GUWonder Sep 5, 22 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by mangoMan (Post 34574583)
Excuse my ignorance, but who can use the e-gates? We have an upcoming connection at AMS, non-Schengen to Schengen, arriving from USA. I have both US and EU passports but my wife only has US. I don't suppose we can use e-gates?

https://english.marechaussee.nl/topi...ssport-control has the info for who can use the Schengen-border control egates for arriving at AMS and who can use them for departing from AMS.

lloydje33 Sep 5, 22 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by mangoMan (Post 34574583)

You can use the e-gates on arrival only if you hold an EU passport.

Goldorak Sep 5, 22 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by r0m8470 (Post 34573201)
I have a multi-city itinerary with the long hauls arriving/departing at AMS in Oct and Dec respectively. Should I be worried?

No :)

Originally Posted by r0m8470 (Post 34573201)
The RNS to AMS just got moved up, so our layover is getting shorter (as stated above) so there is an opportunity for us to change. Should we?

No, because there will be no opportunity to change from RNS.

newbiegal Sep 5, 22 3:15 pm

Hello all, I am flying from LA to New Delhi via AMS at the end of September and have about 4 hours stopover at AMS. Do the long security queues impact transit passengers or there is no security check for transit passengers? I am hoping the summer peak travel season eases off by the end of September. Anything else I should be aware travelling through AMS? Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Xandrios Sep 5, 22 3:50 pm

From LA to Delhi there will be no security check at AMS. However in the other direction there likely will be.

Should be a very straightforward transfer and 4hrs is plenty.

GUWonder Sep 5, 22 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 34574975)
From LA to Delhi there will be no security check at AMS. However in the other direction there likely will be.

Should be a very straightforward transfer and 4hrs is plenty.

For DEL-AMS-US, there is a security check at AMS for such transiting passengers.

Four hours of transit time at AMS is way more than plenty of time to transit AMS on US-India-US itineraries.

newbiegal Sep 5, 22 5:03 pm

Thanks!

HadesNL Sep 6, 22 9:01 am

Slightly OT:
Got a txt from friends flying today afternoon AMS-IST on TK 1960 at 17.30 Business Class
It took them a total of 2H,
From carpark Sheraton to the Aspire lounge.

Only because of 2 out of 3 elderly (70+) requested wheelchair assistance
But not enough staff was available,
so 1 pax needs to push the other pax
while following the third person whom is being pushed by ground services staff.
Security and passport control gave them priority to front of the queue fortunately.

Fritz Sep 6, 22 2:55 pm

Data point from this afternoon around 17h AMS - LON. Very long lines indeed for security.

Economy looked terrible, premium line took about 30 minutes and was heavily policed. There was a Sky Priority silver being refused entry to the premium security lane behind SP check-in by a very firm gate guardian.

Lots of stressed pax running for flights and having only turned up 75 minutes before departure, I nearly missed mine lol.

It had seemed AMS late afternoon was much improved so maybe this afternoon was an outlier. But FYI