FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

irishguy28 Aug 24, 22 11:27 pm

Arrived by train at 06:04 this morning
Not travelling Skyteam today, so cannot use Skypriority. But was through security and passport control at 06:16.

Would have been even faster if the passport e-gates were open.
The Skypriority line would also have taken longer at this moment; there were roughly the same number of people in both lines, but the regular security line was spread through 4 separate security lanes.

kochleffel Aug 25, 22 1:57 am

About 30 minutes for passport control this morning. Only three all-passports gates open when I joined the line, but seven by the time I reached the front. Inspector examined the passports of people ahead of me in great detail, with a loupe and UV light, but barely glanced at mine.

bluedog423 Aug 25, 22 1:59 am

Left early this morning due to uncertainty from rail strikes and contingency planned for taking a taxi. Train was immediate and no issues whatsoever. Got to Schipol at 4 hours before departure (11am departure). No bags to check and already had boarding passes.

​​​​​​Had to walk length of airport from departure area 3 to 1 with a 4 and 6 year old as that seemed to be the only place with open security. Security signs were non-existent, just stated gates but my gates seemed to not always be mentioned. Security line moved crazy fast. 10 minutes probably and got one bagged manually inspected too (kinetic sand for the kids....). Then passport control, couldn't use automated ones because of children. Line probably took 20 minutes or so.

Overall, did the walk from train to security, got through security and passport control with two young children in slightly less than 45 minutes total. Lots of walking but things moving fast.
Lots of time to kill (3+ hours) but fortunately there's an indoor playground which my kids seem to love. Have a long walk (15 minutes) to G gates though.

I guess better safe than sorry!

Kensterfly Aug 25, 22 1:58 pm

Electronic Passport readers

I知 reading about these electronic readers. Can anyone use them? Or is it just for connecting pax?
We値l be originating in AMS headed to the states.
US citizens.

malmostoso Aug 25, 22 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kensterfly (Post 34545036)
I知 reading about these electronic readers. Can anyone use them? Or is it just for connecting pax?
We値l be originating in AMS headed to the states.
US citizens.

IF they are open and IF they are working, US citizens over 16 can use the e-gates. You'll probably be directed to an officer for a stamp.

HadesNL Aug 26, 22 1:29 am

Warning train disruptions

English: https://www.ns.nl/en/travel-informat...26-august.html
Source: <a href="https://nos.nl/artikel/2442070-treinverkeer-in-zuid-holland-ligt-plat-gevolgen-voor-hele-land">https://nos.nl/artikel/2442070-treinverkeer-in-zuid-holland-ligt-plat-gevolgen-voor-hele-land</a><br /><br />

Province of South Holland:
Local + IC trains : no service
local services running only till the following stations:
Alphen aan den Rijn, Hoofddorp, Gouda, Haarlem en Lage Zwaluwe
So no trains running into the core of South Holland
IC Direct : Amsterdam - Breda - Bruxelles Midi = irregular schedule
Eurostar + Thalys : should run as scheduled
Confirmed : Next monday / tuesday in east / south part of the Netherlands
<br /><a href="https://www.treinreiziger.nl/ns-waarschuwt-voor-grote-gevolgen-door-staking-vrijdag/">https://www.treinreiziger.nl/ns-waarschuwt-voor-grote-gevolgen-door-staking-vrijdag/</a>

b12e Aug 26, 22 6:13 am

Originally Posted by ok986 (Post 34541030)
nope, with a Privium card, you do not need a BP to pass thru security and passport control.

It seems nobody really answered your question, so here goes:

So while theoretically you could do this, and use your Privium card to go through security and passport control, there are random checks - supposedly - to see if you have a valid boarding pass. I don't know how much you want to explain to KMAR that you'll get your BP at a transfer desk (or in the KL lounge).

That said, the T&C of Privium do allow you to use their service with a valid ticket only - See paragraph 6.1:

Privium members shall only have the right to use Automatic Border Passage if (a) they subsequently depart from Schiphol by aircraft or have arrived at Schiphol by aircraft and (b) they carry a valid travel document (e.g. a passport) and travel ticket (e-ticket or boarding pass) valid upon that date, which may be checked.
So as far as going in without BP is concerned, you should be good.

As far as getting your passport checked to receive the boarding pass however, YMMV. I never tried. So worst case scenario, instead of saving time, you will have to go out again, queue up at check-in, and then go through security and passport control again.

boss315 Aug 26, 22 9:14 am

Arriving 29 august and transiting by bus from airport to the Leidseplein stop. Disruptions on bus routes or just packed to the ceilings?

malmostoso Aug 26, 22 10:37 am

Schiphol reported today that they made a 65 million euro profit in the first half year.

Presumably shareholders get a complimentary Privium subscription :D

HadesNL Aug 26, 22 10:40 am

At least 2600 claims:
https://www.nu.nl/economie/6219969/2...426.1661516912

Expectation for this winter that amount of passengers restrictions will still continue
https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieu...tal-passagiers

nk15 Aug 26, 22 11:09 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 34541398)
Why don't you just get it after deboarding from the agents at the gate? They are the same agents handling the check-in desk. I would for no reason leave the secured area if possible.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 34542386)
Except that the staff usually arrive at the gate just before boarding time, so after check-in will be closed for the flight. Very risky strategy.

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 34542391)

No. And even if it was possible, that doesn't solve your check-in problem (where will you obtain your BP ?).
PS : you won't have to go through security connecting from ATH to LHR. Just passport control.

To close the loop to my question, I thought of trying to check-in in ATH for my AMS-LCY flight but the BA lines were too long and I abandoned that plan (probably wouldn't have worked anyway). After deplaning at AMS from the A3 flight, I asked a couple of KLM staff at a nearby gate and they said to go to transfer T5 (for BA) to check in (or use any BA flight gate, as a back up). They said they couldn't do it themselves. That meant passing passport control to Non-schengen. They said I don't need to leave the secure area to check in, just go to T5 transfer area after passport control. I was lucky to be able to use the electronic passport gates, even without a boarding pass (you just scan passport). I went to transfer T5 which supposedly handles BA transfers, but the desk was unattended and all the machines were down, directing me to transfer T4, where the machines were not handling BA flights (I tried the transfer T1 - T4 machines, they couldn't do it). I located the closest BA flight to London closing and rushed to that gate, where I found the last gate agent leaving the gate, who, thank God, was able to check me in. The printer was not working so no paper boarding pass, but I got an electronic one in the app.

So this worked out well in the end, but it had me stressed out for a moment. My A3 flight was delayed 30 minutes but arrived at AMS on time, and I was able to check in for my AMS-LCY flight more than 3 hours before departure.

(I have bolded the part above because it is the answer to my question, for anyone in a similar situation. One caveat is if you cannot use the electronic passport gates, I am not sure if they will let you pass the regular passport control without a boarding pass).

A last thing to mention is that all staff I interacted with were very helpful and stopped what they were doing to assist me, I was very thankful and impressed.

Goldorak Aug 26, 22 11:37 am

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 34547390)
To close the loop to my question, I thought of trying to check-in in ATH for my AMS-LCY flight but the BA lines were too long and I abandoned that plan (probably wouldn't have worked anyway). After deplaning at AMS from the A3 flight, I asked a couple of KLM staff at a nearby gate and they said to go to transfer T5 (for BA) to check in (or use any BA flight gate, as a back up). They said they couldn't do it themselves. That meant passing passport control to Non-schengen. They said I don't need to leave the secure area to check in, just go to T5 transfer area after passport control. I was lucky to be able to use the electronic passport gates, even without a boarding pass (you just scan passport). I went to transfer T5 which supposedly handles BA transfers, but the desk was unattended and all the machines were down, directing me to transfer T4, where the machines were not handling BA flights (I tried the transfer T1 - T4 machines, they couldn't do it). I located the closest BA flight to London closing and rushed to that gate, where I found the last gate agent leaving the gate, who, thank God, was able to check me in. The printer was not working so no paper boarding pass, but I got an electronic one in the app.

So this worked out well in the end, but it had me stressed out for a moment. My A3 flight was delayed 30 minutes but arrived at AMS on time, and I was able to check in for my AMS-LCY flight more than 3 hours before departure.

(I have bolded the part above because it is the answer to my question, for anyone in a similar situation. One caveat is if you cannot use the electronic passport gates, I am not sure if they will let you pass the regular passport control without a boarding pass).

A last thing to mention is that all staff I interacted with were very helpful and stopped what they were doing to assist me, I was very thankful and impressed.

I知 glad you made it and found a way. For sure, I can imagine that your blood pressure went up for a while ;)
Thanks for having reported your experience here. It will be for sure helpful for others.

nk15 Aug 26, 22 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 34547465)
I知 glad you made it and found a way. For sure, I can imagine that your blood pressure went up for a while ;)
Thanks for having reported your experience here. It will be for sure helpful for others.

I was indeed stressed out, especially at the thought that, after wasting some time, I may still had to go landslide to check in. I should mention though that I also had cancellable award flights to the US as back ups from both AMS and ATH for the next day, just in case things go really wrong:p

johan rebel Aug 26, 22 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by b12e (Post 34546702)
So while theoretically you could do this, and use your Privium card to go through security and passport control, there are random checks - supposedly - to see if you have a valid boarding pass. I don't know how much you want to explain to KMAR that you'll get your BP at a transfer desk (or in the KL lounge)..

Over the years I've spent more nights than I care to remember at the airside Mercure before catching a flight the next morning. On quite a few occasions I was not in possession of a boarding card, mostly when flying UA to the US. For some reason UA usually requires a document check before issuing me a boarding card, but because they only have morning flights out of AMS their landside ticket and check-in desks are closed in the afternoon and evening, so I have to get the boarding card at the transfer desk next morning. Never had an issue with the KMar. The Mercure, by the way, also wants to see a boarding card when you check in, but I preempt the request by giving them my flight # and destination first thing, which is all they need to enter in their systems.

Johan

johan rebel Aug 26, 22 1:25 pm

I should mention though that I also had cancellable award flights to the US as back ups from both AMS and ATH for the next day, just in case things go really wrong

Something tells me you must be fan of both belts and suspenders in large numbers.

if you cannot use the electronic passport gates, I am not sure if they will let you pass the regular passport control without a boarding pass).

They almost certainly will if you can document that have a seat booked on the flights you lack a boarding card for. There can be all sorts of reasons why pax don't have one yet, I'm sure they see people without regularly.

Johan