FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

nk15 Aug 23, 22 6:30 pm

I am arriving from ATH on A3, and connecting to a BA flight to London, on separate tickets, with a 4-hour layover. I will be hand baggage only, but it seems I may not be able to do online check in for my BA flight (the system is not accepting my vaccine docs and Verifly is not working, due to a Jetblue flight to the US involved). Here are my questions:

1. Are there BA transfer desks, human or machine, that can check eligibility documents, and get me a boarding pass for the BA flight, in the AMS secure area between transfer from ATH and onward flight to LON? I should mention that the transfer desk should do document checks that involve an onward flight to the US, not just to London. I am really hoping that I won't have to leave the secure area at AMS to check-in for my London flight.

2. Do you think it is possible to check in for my BA AMS- London flight in person in ATH, and get my boarding pass there? (There should be open check in desks for the BA ATH-LHR flights while I am there....

Goldorak Aug 24, 22 1:27 am

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 34540110)
I am arriving from ATH on A3, and connecting to a BA flight to London, on separate tickets, with a 4-hour layover. I will be hand baggage only, but it seems I may not be able to do online check in for my BA flight (the system is not accepting my vaccine docs and Verifly is not working, due to a Jetblue flight to the US involved). Here are my questions:

1. Are there BA transfer desks, human or machine, that can check eligibility documents, and get me a boarding pass for the BA flight, in the AMS secure area between transfer from ATH and onward flight to LON? I should mention that the transfer desk should do document checks that involve an onward flight to the US, not just to London. I am really hoping that I won't have to leave the secure area at AMS to check-in for my London flight.

2. Do you think it is possible to check in for my BA AMS- London flight in person in ATH, and get my boarding pass there? (There should be open check in desks for the BA ATH-LHR flights while I am there....

1) seems very unlikely to me (I have never seen a BA or OW transfer desk airline in AMS, but I could be wrong). If you can't do OLCI, it's very likely that you'll have to go landside for check-in with BA..
2) no way

ok986 Aug 24, 22 2:32 am

Can I check-in for a flight after passing security and passport control?

I am flying on DL to the US, hand-luggage only. Last time I was in the same situation (in late March), I spent 2 hrs in a queue for the SkyPriority check-in at Schiphol, only to have my passport checked (ESTA) and get a boarding pass. By that time, the security line for priority passengers took another hour.
Since I have a Privium card, I can get through the security and passport control without having my docs checked. Can I just get past, and then stop by KLM transfer desk or in the lounge? Or is this a truly stupid idea and I should just wait patiently in the SkyPriority check-in line?

Xandrios Aug 24, 22 3:35 am

Data point August 24.

Arrival by train at 9AM. Local trains around Amsterdam were operating as usual, seemingly not affected by the NS strikes.

Regular departures 1/2 security was not crowded at all when we walked past. No lines visible from downstairs, upstairs the holding pen for dep 2 was about half full.

Checked luggage with A3. Long line of people waiting for check in to open, but no priority line in sight. Walked up to one of the ladies setting up their station to ask about a business class waiting line, and she checked us in immediately. Some rumbling from the economy line behind us - Iíd imagine some people having been waiting in that line from the 4 hr limit.

Priority security had a single lane open, and was moving very slowly. Even though only ~10 pax in front it took us a good 20 minutes.

Waiting at the star alliance lounge now. Which looks to be back to normal. Reasonably crowded (meaning at least a single person per block/set of tables), and food offerings are identical as to what they were pre covid.

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 34540110)
I am arriving from ATH on A3, and connecting to a BA flight to London, on separate tickets, with a 4-hour layover..

Flying today? Iíll be flying A3 from AMS back to ATH this morning, which then would be on the aircraft youíre coming in on.

nk15 Aug 24, 22 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 34540880)

Flying today? I’ll be flying A3 from AMS back to ATH this morning, which then would be on the aircraft you’re coming in on.

Not today but very soon, I am glad you had a smooth experience.

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 34540720)
1) seems very unlikely to me (I have never seen a BA or OW transfer desk airline in AMS, but I could be wrong). If you can't do OLCI, it's very likely that you'll have to go landside for check-in with BA..
2) no way

If I have to go landside to check in, how are the check-in and security lines from the outside these days? I will be flying onwards in business with BA and I am OW Emerald, and will be landing at AMS at 3:45pm.

Any chance I can clear transfer security and passport control without a boarding pass, just with the reservation?

mlin32 Aug 24, 22 4:38 am

Originally Posted by ok986 (Post 34540808)
I am flying on DL to the US, hand-luggage only. Last time I was in the same situation (in late March), I spent 2 hrs in a queue for the SkyPriority check-in at Schiphol, only to have my passport checked (ESTA) and get a boarding pass. By that time, the security line for priority passengers took another hour.
Since I have a Privium card, I can get through the security and passport control without having my docs checked. Can I just get past, and then stop by KLM transfer desk or in the lounge? Or is this a truly stupid idea and I should just wait patiently in the SkyPriority check-in line?

You would need to have your boarding card in order to pass through security and passport control first, no ? And that means you must check in first, to receive said boarding card.

ok986 Aug 24, 22 5:38 am

Originally Posted by mlin32 (Post 34540953)
You would need to have your boarding card in order to pass through security and passport control first, no ? And that means you must check in first, to receive said boarding card.

nope, with a Privium card, you do not need a BP to pass thru security and passport control.

nldogbert Aug 24, 22 9:11 am

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 34540908)
Not today but very soon, I am glad you had a smooth experience.

If I have to go landside to check in, how are the check-in and security lines from the outside these days? I will be flying onwards in business with BA and I am OW Emerald, and will be landing at AMS at 3:45pm.

Any chance I can clear transfer security and passport control without a boarding pass, just with the reservation?

Why don't you just get it after deboarding from the agents at the gate? They are the same agents handling the check-in desk. I would for no reason leave the secured area if possible.

Cheers!

CyBeR Aug 24, 22 11:26 am

Arrived yesterday from UK at about 14:00 to find absolutely not a single person (other than two kmar) in the passport control hall I used. Since that was the case I opted not to use the gates as I'd expect using them to be slower. The hall next to belt 13 otoh did have a line in it but it seemed manageable. Saw some people use gates even though a lot of them either had red X'es or randomly switched between red and green.

Bag didn't make it onto the plane in LHR so we'll see about how that's handled here at AMS.

Goldorak Aug 24, 22 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 34541398)
Why don't you just get it after deboarding from the agents at the gate? They are the same agents handling the check-in desk. I would for no reason leave the secured area if possible.

Cheers!

Except that the staff usually arrive at the gate just before boarding time, so after check-in will be closed for the flight. Very risky strategy.

Goldorak Aug 24, 22 2:53 pm

Can't help you unfortunately. This thread is your best friend to have fresh experiences reported :)

No. And even if it was possible, that doesn't solve your check-in problem (where will you obtain your BP ?).
PS : you won't have to go through security connecting from ATH to LHR. Just passport control.

nk15 Aug 24, 22 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 34542391)
Can't help you unfortunately. This thread is your best friend to have fresh experiences reported :)

No. And even if it was possible, that doesn't solve your check-in problem (where will you obtain your BP ?).
PS : you won't have to go through security connecting from ATH to LHR. Just passport control.

I will get the BP at the gate from the gate agent, don't they do that there?

Goldorak Aug 24, 22 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 34542407)
I will get the BP at the gate from the gate agent, don't they do that there?

see my post 2185 just above.

mb752 Aug 24, 22 6:26 pm

Is there no more waiver on rebooking fees and fare differences for flights through AMS? Up util recently it was extended regularly, but now (at leats on the english-speaking KLM website) it hasn't been updated in a while and still lists departure dates up until Aug 20 only.

CyBeR Aug 24, 22 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by CyBeR (Post 34541781)
Bag didn't make it onto the plane in LHR so we'll see about how that's handled here at AMS.

Ok well the answer to that is that they put it on a flight today which landed at around 23:15 and I decided to try and pick it up instead of waiting for it to be delivered (not trusting that they would do it in a timely manner, given how many bags are currently at AMS waiting to be delivered) and it turns out that there's an "Unaccompanied Bagage Reclaim" desk with a guy that lets you into the bagage hall to pick up your bag from the carousel as if you'd just arrived normally. Honestly a pretty smooth experience I have to say.