Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MCI777
I'm flying YYZ-AMS-CPT in September. It appears that KLM stopped selling seats on the AMS-CPT flight on 17th of September (the day I'm flying to CPT). I assume this is part of the reduction in seats allocated from AMS. Should I be worried that the flight will cancel?
It’s possible, but it’s more likely that KLM is restricting the number of seats sold, rather than scrapping flights.

See this article from yesterday, which explains the approach:

https://nltimes.nl/2022/08/02/schiphol-restrictions-will-cost-sector-millions-klm-sees-extra-cancellations

Key quote:
Airline KLM does not expect to have to cancel flights as a result. The company will sell fewer seats to Dutch travelers in this period. The airline will remain in talks with Schiphol. The aim is to “avoid restrictions on the KLM operation and our customers.””
MCI777 and SDQBound like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BA850
It’s possible, but it’s more likely that KLM is restricting the number of seats sold, rather than scrapping flights.

See this article from yesterday, which explains the approach:

https://nltimes.nl/2022/08/02/schiphol-restrictions-will-cost-sector-millions-klm-sees-extra-cancellations

Key quote:
Thank you for the response!
BA850 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Datapoint Wednesday 3 August 8:30pm T3 no priority security:
Wait time: zero. A friend posted a video, he was literally the only one approaching T3 security.
BA850 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
04AUG USA>Schengen transfer, 7:00 am:

5-7 min wait for passport control.
malmostoso likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Not strictly a KLM review, but I'm in AMS at the moment. Got here around 9am for an 11:25 flight.

Terminal 1 had a line about 100m outside. Looked nasty, but obviously nowhere near as long as it has been.

Terminal 3 had a security line which went right up to the door but not actually outside. There was no evident priority line, but as a Business Class customer I was able to skip the full line which I guess would have been at least 2 hours. I only had 6 people to wait behind. That was a $100 J upgrade well spent.
BA850 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Not strictly a KLM review, but I'm in AMS at the moment. Got here around 9am for an 11:25 flight.

Terminal 1 had a line about 100m outside. Looked nasty, but obviously nowhere near as long as it has been.

Terminal 3 had a security line which went right up to the door but not actually outside. There was no evident priority line, but as a Business Class customer I was able to skip the full line which I guess would have been at least 2 hours. I only had 6 people to wait behind. That was a $100 J upgrade well spent.
Thanks for the T3 update, much appreciated. If there was no priority line how did you skip the "normal" line?
Old Aug 4, 2022, 10:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by chrisbangkok
Thanks for the T3 update, much appreciated. If there was no priority line how did you skip the "normal" line?
You show your boarding pass to the staff looking after the electronic boarding pass gates first. It was a bit chaotic at the front so I found a couple of guys just sort of hanging around a separate area who let me through. There's then a queue before and up the stairs which you need to pass on the right under "Crew" where the person guarding the stairs will let you up.

I'm guessing a fair few people in Business Class never figure this out.
chrisbangkok likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SDQBound
My main concern was that because back in 2019, when AMS was supposed to be smooth.
A lot of the time it was anything but, though.

Johan
Old Aug 4, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
It is possible that KLM is filling the seats with more transfer passengers than they would do if AMS was operating at full capacity.
Two days ago I was on a flight that was far from full (739, total load 132/184, J 10/16). That was a first this year on KLM. A colleague reported being on a KLC flight the other day that she estimated was not even 1/3 full.

Johan
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by mistytalon
If you had a 7AM flight also, how soon would you get to the airport, considering the current circumstances? Curious as to how much lead time is required.
Last time I arrived for 9:50 at 8:15 and had time to kill.

In your place I'd aim around 5 am, a bit more with baggage, a bit less without.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:12 pm

We have transfer time (Canada to non-Schengen, carry-on, no priority) of 8h30 between the flights at AMS. Would going to the city be too risky considering the current situation? Just wanted a quick stroll by the Central station and around. Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by kozm
We have transfer time (Canada to non-Schengen, carry-on, no priority) of 8h30 between the flights at AMS. Would going to the city be too risky considering the current situation? Just wanted a quick stroll by the Central station and around. Thanks.
Don’t bother. Arriving from Canada, you’ll need to clear immigration to leave the airport. Per Fabo.sk’s post on 29th July (and my own observations later the same day), exit (arrival) passport control is a significant bottleneck.

Without priority access to security, you’ll also need to budget four hours to make it airside upon your return (security, plus passport control).

The travel time between Schiphol and Amsterdam Centraal is only 13-17 minutes, which means that under ordinary circumstances, you could make it to the city and spend a few hours strolling around, but at the moment, I’d advise against it.
kozm, atflyer and Fabo.sk like this.

Last edited by BA850; Aug 4, 2022 at 4:49 pm Reason: Edited to add additional information.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:28 pm

Thanks for your quick response!
BA850 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 4:31 am

It's hard to say - some days/times will be like normal and after the school holidays end you'll also see a big drop in passengers.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 4:41 am

Thanks for your quick response!
No problem. What I would suggest, if you’re flying KLM, is purchasing access to the non-Schengen Crown Lounge at Schiphol.

The price is €65 per head, but you could easily end up spending that in eight hours at the airport anyway. The food isn’t fantastic, but it’s a very nice space and you’ll have the option to take a shower.

You can find more details here, but if you purchase online via ‘My Trip’, you’ll receive a €10 discount: https://www.klm.nl/en/information/airport/crown-lounges

If you aren’t flying KLM or don’t want to pay €65 (€55 in advance) there are other (cheaper) paid lounges available and you can find additional information here: https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/airline-lounges/
kozm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.