FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

musicpoem Jul 20, 2022 3:56 am

How is the luggage situation for arrival this July?

ArnoldB Jul 20, 2022 4:06 am

What are the data points for early mornings? As in flight at 7am and arriving at 4-5am. Is it already packed at that time as well and also 3-4 hours recommended? Monday in August.

Is it wrong to assume that business trips in August are gonna be limited (which otherwise might be a strong factor Monday mornings) and that Monday morning is also not the strongest tourist departure time?

Xandrios Jul 20, 2022 4:23 am

Monday morning is traditionally one of the busiest days of the week. That may be a little down due to lower business demand in summer, but I would still expect it to be one of the busier days. As far as I am aware especially the early morning is when it is very crowded. Around 7AM the first bank of holiday flights departs (e.g. HV).

Do you have priority access for this flight? That may make things easier.

Fabo.sk Jul 20, 2022 5:19 am

Originally Posted by ygkcastaway (Post 34440393)
I will be flying AMS-MUC-YYZ on August 1st (8:50 am flight to MUC on LH) in J. I unfortunately *do* have to check a bag. I'm just trying to make sure I've got everything right in advance - I've read an embarrassingly large number of replies on this post, but having never been to AMS, there are still a few things that I'm not sure on. I'm also trying to figure out what ungodly hour I need to arrive at.

I know there will be a long line after arriving by car to even get into the terminal building - Is this the line for security, for check-in/bag drop-off, or both? I may try and take a train in to avoid some of this.

I understand that flying J on LH gets me priority security. Once in the terminal with bags dropped off, Do I have to exit again to get into the security line? Or, at that point is there any reliable way to get to the priority security line? I'm having a hard time grasping if the SkyPriority instructions in the original post ("If you have priority, ignore the main entrances to the checkpoints [… ] Enter via SkyPriority zone") apply to me, with priority security but no Flying Blue status. I read a few posts ago that someone flying J got stuck with the general security line for a while, so I'm just trying to figure out if that could have been avoided or not.

Any advice/help/confirmation is greatly appreciated! Would you recommend getting there the full four hours early?

Bag drop for LH is on the rightmost checkin rows in Departures 1. Normally you'd enter Departures 1 checkpoint straight from there, but it's closed.

As recommended by Johan, go towards the back and take a left along the wall, you'll see the common priority entrance (probably with a small like as eligibility is checked).

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34440407)
Same Indonesian theme today. Nasi, Rendang, all the condiments.Plus the usual soups, salads, wraps, sandwiches etc. Very good.

ClubLounge West is a haven of peace and quiet.

Unless you know exactly where it is, the lounge is not that easy to find. Nevertheless, a steady stream of pax arrive thinking they somehow qualify for entry. An American gentleman who entered right before me announced his arrival with the following words in lieu of a greeting: "I'm flying business class today!". He wad quickly sent packing. Later, as I was walking past heading for the toilets, a party of three walked in. The gent leading the pack, just as polite as his compatriot, said "So what's the deal here? We have American Express!". I almost burst out in laughter. Had a short conversation with the agent later, she said that denying people entry was almost a full-time job. I had picked a seat in the far corner of the lounge, out of sight and hearing of the reception desk, but next time I think I'll go for one close by with a clear view. Nonstop entertainment!

Johan

The other two times I was there it was Italian. Also good, but Indonesian was better.

The entertainment factor could be interesting. I have no clue how the business class guy got there, unless SQ, but for the Amex, I wonder if they somehow seen ads for Dutch Amex where Privium was mentioned?

Originally Posted by musicpoem (Post 34441539)
How is the luggage situation for arrival this July?

Last Friday, bags started coming out about 20 minutes after doors open. YMMV.

Originally Posted by ArnoldB (Post 34441550)
What are the data points for early mornings? As in flight at 7am and arriving at 4-5am. Is it already packed at that time as well and also 3-4 hours recommended? Monday in August.

Is it wrong to assume that business trips in August are gonna be limited (which otherwise might be a strong factor Monday mornings) and that Monday morning is also not the strongest tourist departure time?

I would expect that decrease of business travel will be more than compensated for by leisure travel.

ArnoldB Jul 20, 2022 5:32 am

Well that sucks to hear. I feel like my situation sucks no matter what and I feel helpless. Options are either flying home on a Sunday with departure 20:35 and priority, but I can only arrive by train at 18:55. Or on Monday Morning with departure at 6:50 and no priority, and would be at the airport security check at 4am and hope for the best.

Do the times in the Wiki refer to "time before departure"? If so then I guess the 1,5h with priority would be fulfilled in the "Sunday 20:35 with priority" scenario?

erik123 Jul 20, 2022 5:40 am

Originally Posted by ArnoldB (Post 34441550)

I was through on a Monday morning in about 25 minutes not long ago. I suspect the wait will be closer to 45 minutes now but could be up to one hour or more. This is assuming you have priority access. What time you should be there is hard to give advice on but if it were me I would feel very comfortable with 2 hrs - assuming there are other flights on the same day on which they could rebook me.

ArnoldB Jul 20, 2022 5:44 am

Originally Posted by erik123 (Post 34441695)
I was through on a Monday morning in about 25 minutes not long ago. I suspect the wait will be closer to 45 minutes now but could be up to one hour or more. This is assuming you have priority access. What time you should be there is hard to give advice on but if it were me I would feel very comfortable with 2 hrs - assuming there are other flights on the same day on which they could rebook me.

The monday morning variant would be without priority.

Fabo.sk Jul 20, 2022 6:11 am

Originally Posted by ArnoldB (Post 34441682)
Well that sucks to hear. I feel like my situation sucks no matter what and I feel helpless. Options are either flying home on a Sunday with departure 20:35 and priority, but I can only arrive by train at 18:55. Or on Monday Morning with departure at 6:50 and no priority, and would be at the airport security check at 4am and hope for the best.

Do the times in the Wiki refer to "time before departure"? If so then I guess the 1,5h with priority would be fulfilled in the "Sunday 20:35 with priority" scenario?

I would go for Sunday evening flight with priority if I were you. 1.5h should be OK, particularly if it's a Schengen flight and extra particularly HBO. Chances are there will also be some delay which is to your advantage now.

Question though - why/how would you have prio on Sunday, but won't have on Monday though?

ArnoldB Jul 20, 2022 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34441752)
I would go for Sunday evening flight with priority if I were you. 1.5h should be OK, particularly if it's a Schengen flight and extra particularly HBO. Chances are there will also be some delay which is to your advantage now.

Question though - why/how would you have prio on Sunday, but won't have on Monday though?

Getting priority on Sunday (rebooking to Eco Flex) would've been cheaper than rebooking to non-priority (Eco Light) on Monday + 1 night Airporthotel. That's why I considered it. But since writing this the price for Sunday priority has gone up +50%, so that option is gone now. Rebooking to Priority on Monday + 1 night Airporthotel is simply too expensive.

Our trip is to Rotterdam and our main goal was to do the full-day (10:30-17:30) Maasvlakte harbor tour by operator Spido. They wrote us by mail that this tour is available on Tuesdays and Saturdays and we booked the flights according to that (Friday to Sunday). Turns out they gave us wrong information and it is actually Tuesdays and Sundays, which is obviously not compatible with what we booked (return flight Sunday 17:15) and now I'm desperate with damage control. Rebooking to Saturday-Monday (Evening) is seemingly also not an option because the evening flight on Monday is somehow not available for rebooking, even though it can be selected when making a completely new booking.

malmostoso Jul 20, 2022 7:08 am

Just landed in AMS. Flight on time, polderbaan, hbo so easy exit.

The airport is very quiet, tents are empty, however there are a lot of people sprinting along the B pier, and a few in distress after missing their flight. I don't know, I'm starting to think it might be a bit deliberate.

mlin32 Jul 20, 2022 7:37 am

Interesting you say the tents are now empty. My dad shot a picture of the outside queue snaking out of the tents around 9h this morning when they were on correspondance.

Passport contrôle NS > S took 20mn during the usual morning TATL arrival rush. Their midday KLC flight to FRA departed on time, and their 1 checked bag showed up at FRA luggage belt within 15mn.

So a relatively ordinary trip for them. Given the circumstances thesedays, wooooooow 👍

Sjoerd Jul 20, 2022 7:47 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 34441871)
Just landed in AMS. Flight on time, polderbaan, hbo so easy exit.

The airport is very quiet, tents are empty, however there are a lot of people sprinting along the B pier, and a few in distress after missing their flight. I don't know, I'm starting to think it might be a bit deliberate.

Who exactly would gain from deliberately slowing down passengers and having them wait 3+ hours to clear security?

I believe there are much more logical explanations for the fact that queues are sometimes long and sometimes much shorter. For example:
- the proportion of AMS origin passengers vs. transit passengers that’s different per day or even per hour;
- differences in number of security staff calling in sick per shift (which might explain that the longest queues seem to be on Monday mornings)

malmostoso Jul 20, 2022 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Sjoerd (Post 34441995)
Who exactly would gain from deliberately slowing down passengers and having them wait 3+ hours to clear security?

Staff negotiating better conditions, for example.

bevoinva Jul 20, 2022 11:58 am

Greetings, I have seen mention on this thread about upgrading an economy ticket to an economy flex ticket. When i go through the process, it states that passengers receive SkyPriority benefits. Forgive the stupid question - but would this also include priority security? My wife is a Delta Silver so she gets priority check-in but not priority security. If upgrading to an economy flex ticket gets priority security then the 40 euro charge seems to bea no-brainer.

malmostoso Jul 20, 2022 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by bevoinva (Post 34442771)
Greetings, I have seen mention on this thread about upgrading an economy ticket to an economy flex ticket. When i go through the process, it states that passengers receive SkyPriority benefits. Forgive the stupid question - but would this also include priority security?

Yes. However an economy flex ticket only includes Skypriority on intra-EU itineraries (or short haul or intra Europe, not sure where the cutoff is). So if the KLM website offers you the option you should check carefully that the upgraded segment is in that category.

More expert people than me in KLM will be able to help if you share your itinerary.