Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by robert4travels
From my observation today in the morning only EU passports were sent to the automated gates. Even there the wait was 20 minutes. The wait for manual passport control was much longer than that.
I generally see this before 8am or 9am or so, when KMar don't have the extra person to do passport stamping. For non-EU passports (but still qualifying for the automated gates on departure) we need to see a person standing at a makeshift/portable podium between the exit of automated passport gate and before the glass doors leading out to the departures area for a quick stamp. If they can only staff 1 person (to sit behind the desk at the computer, checking/approving faces), non-EU folks not allowed allowed through.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pax stats

Schiphol handled 5.1 million pax in June. Even though that's 20% fewer than the 6.5m in June 2019, it was obviously far more than they could deal with.

A few weeks ago the Dutch government announced that the annual number of flight movements at Schiphol will be capped at 440,000, starting in 2024. That's 12% fewer flights than the current 500,000 limit. Although I figure the Dutch are shooting themselves in the head in more ways than one here, I personally welcome a less busy and delay-prone airport. The current mess is as painful as it is ridiculous, but in the years before the pandemic Schiphol struggled too, with zero built-in resilience ensuring that the smallest hiccup would cause major disruption that reverberated for days.

Johan
mpkz and caliform like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Although I figure the Dutch are shooting themselves in the head in more ways than one here, I personally welcome a less busy and delay-prone airport. The current mess is as painful as it is ridiculous, but in the years before the pandemic Schiphol struggled too, with zero built-in resilience ensuring that the smallest hiccup would cause major disruption that reverberated for days.

Johan
I will say that AMS is better than other European airports at the moment for transfers, but other parts can definitely be improved. But, I agree with what you're saying. For example, transatlantic flights I've been on so far have always been delayed and the NS Crown Lounge in the mornings consist of people doing a mad dash for food, almost zero seating available, no plates being cleaned, and sleep cabins/showers being all fully booked.

Hopefully this gets resolved once the summer ends and everything goes back to full normalcy.
johan rebel and HadesNL like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL SM
Datapoint for Saturday morning:
Flying United J-class at 9:15 from T3

We arrived by car at T3 drop off area by 6:15
There was a pretty big line entering the terminal, it took us 15-20 minutes. I guess we should have dropped off at door B and skip that line, but we didn’t. Checkin was a breeze, 2 families in front of us so didn’t take much more than 10 minutes.

Towards security your first mixed with Economy, but once upstairs there is a separate Priority line. Not sure if it’s supposed to be the same, but I had the impression we took the wheelchair line. No bags to secondary so also security went pretty quickly. The longest delay was waiting on the stairs before the Eco/Prio split. So max 20 min. We’re traveling with our son of 12 so couldn’t use the turnstiles and needed to go through manual screening at the Douane. This took another 20 minutes I guess.

All in all a bit longer than expected, but all done well in time. Now enjoying The Aspire lounge which is better than expected. Food ain’t great, but it’s clean, bright and quiet and they have decent coffee. You all had me worried I guess, but I’ve had way worse 🤣.

I hope this is useful for others!
Xandrios, HadesNL, klwjrw and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:15 am

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle
8.5 layover at AMS - leave airport?

So, I have an 8.5 hour layover at AMS, coming from the US and going onward to CPH. I will be checking a bag and have two small children. I had planned to book a nearby "day hotel" to sleep for a few hours after an overnight flight but now am second guessing that. I do have priority pass lounge access but I assume those are packed. Trying to optimize the chance to rest/sleep some.... particularly for the kids.

With the wait times, do you all think it's better to stay in the airport for an 8.5 hour layover or do you think that's plenty of time to leave, take a 12 minute shuttle to hotel for a couple hours, then go back to airport to go through security? I assume I'll have to pick up my bags at AMS to go through customs but will have boarding passes for both legs of the journey by then. Flight is in August so have some time still. I can "play it by ear" to an extent but have to make the hotel booking ahead of time.

Oh, and I have no priority/status and a US passport.

Last edited by bluedog423; Jul 16, 2022 at 7:25 am
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by bluedog423
So, I have an 8.5 hour layover at AMS, coming from the US and going onward to CPH. I will be checking a bag and have two small children. I had planned to book a nearby "day hotel" to sleep for a few hours after an overnight flight but now am second guessing that.
You should be able to book a room at the Mercure or yotel airside, then just go through passport control prior to your CPH flight. With two small children don't even think about leaving the airport. Your bags will be checked through and you'll do customs in CPH.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by malmostoso
You should be able to book a room at the Mercure or yotel airside, then just go through passport control prior to your CPH flight. With two small children don't even think about leaving the airport. Your bags will be checked through and you'll do customs in CPH.
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if the Mercure accepts day reservations? I only see options for overnight. I had checked out the yotel and seemed tiny sleep cabins but I guess probably worth it. Will need to get 2 rooms....so not the cheapest but worth the convenience in all likelihood. Looks like availability in general is tough.
I potentially can change to direct to CPH but that's on SK and with their ongoing strike, wanted to avoid that mess. My original itinerary had a 3 hr layover at LHR but UA changed my flight time to make me miss the connection (somehow the system automatically rebooked me on segment where the first leg arrived two hours AFTER the second leg was set to depart).

So, it's a mess out there ... 🙂
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by bluedog423
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if the Mercure accepts day reservations? I only see options for overnight.
I've never stayed there but their website and the accor app says you can have day rooms. Just ring them, they might be fully booked anyway.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 11:52 am

Datapoint and request for help:

I was flying with 2 children on July 11, AMS-FRA-SFO, on ticket from Condor that was also serviced by Lufthansa on AMS-FRA segment. The flight was at 11:15 am, subsequently delayed to 11:50. We submitted bags through the automatic machine around 8:15 am and started in the line to security for Departure area 1. It took us at least an hour to reach the inside after being outside and in tents. When we reached the screen on the 1st floor saying 60 minutes left I had hope, but from that point it took another 2.5 hrs (and an hour from a 2nd floor screen that said 35 minutes to go). My estimate is that security line took 3.5 hours that morning. We missed our (even delayed) flight.

Condor refused to rebook me to any other flights or even to sell me another ticket until August. At this points I frantically searched for alternatives and booked a combination of paid and mileage tickets on KLM and BA to get home. This took some time and as I didn't want to exit the airside area on a chance that we may be able to fly the same day. As a result once I got a new set of tickets it was quite a bit later than our original flight time. I went and settled the kids at the hotel and returned to the airport to deal with luggage.

I could not find my suitcase in the arrivals areas where the bags from missed flights were unloaded (thousands). I filed a PIR report with Lufthansa and provided all the details, including a destination (San Francisco) and a permanent address. I also provided a new set of flights (which now were not on Lufthansa). Next day we flew out out AMS-LHR-SAN-SJC, and being there 4+ hrs ahead really helped.

I know my changing itinerary the way I did was of my own doing, but it looked like my original ticket was gone anyways so I didn't feel I have a lot of options. I also know that I should have searched for luggage immediately after the flight, and if after the flight, even harder, but a stress of being stranded with two kids got to me to be honest.

At this point I have a PIR from AMS with LH claim tags, and I don't see a way to file anything with anyone in the US (the tags are already flagged as being searched so another report is not possible). What happens to the bags when passengers miss the flight? Will they really get re-routed all the way to the US if that is the details that I left? Is there anything I can do to help recover them? Since I never flew into international arrivals area of San Francisco, I cannot see if maybe our bags made it there after our original flights based on the tag.

If you don't have J/Sky Priority, 4 hours in economy from AMS without status is an absolute minimum. The day we stood I am not even sure this would have been enough.
atflyer, mpkz and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
@Nyurka: The bags should be delivered anywhere in the world. It might take a while until they get in the system though.

I was milling about the airport a bit yesterday evening, around 8-9pm. Passport controls were absolutely deserted, transit and entry. I was shocked to see though, the one random security control after transit passport check was manned!

WHY THE HELL? ..., Schiphol, why are there people there to check randomly people who arrive from Schengen? Admittedly it was probably after the evening peak, but then why aren't they sent home?
johan rebel and caliform like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:40 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Lightbulb Sheraton Schiphol airport hotel

For those that would like to avoid uncertainty by staying 1 night before at the airport for early/easy access
or
For those passengers whose (KLM)flights have been cancelled and are being offered a complimentary overnight stay at the Sheraton Schiphol Amsterdam airport
or
For those whom need to demand to get their stay booked & re-imbursed due to flight cancellations and need to get closest location due to mobility needs

I would like to bring to attention that i have completed my review of the Sheraton Schiphol Amsterdam airport hotel.
This is the hotel with direct walkway indoor covered access connected to all terminal buildings, railway station and internal access to arrivals and departures of all terminals: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34429723-post213.html

The price tag can be hefty or out of this world for this convenience,
so you might want to check if the Hilton Schiphol airport hotel (also connected to all terminals) might have a better price!
Or check out the Citizen M hotel (at the aiport grounds but need to walk via outdoor area - very compact rooms) https://www.citizenm.com/hotels/euro...-airport-hotel

Good luck everyone!
johan rebel and boss315 like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Jul 16, 2022 at 4:13 pm
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: KL Platinum
Originally Posted by Nyurka

I was flying with 2 children on July 11, AMS-FRA-SFO, on ticket from Condor that was also serviced by Lufthansa on AMS-FRA segment. The flight was at 11:15 am, subsequently delayed to 11:50. We submitted bags through the automatic machine around 8:15 am and started in the line to security for Departure area 1. It took us at least an hour to reach the inside after being outside and in tents. When we reached the screen on the 1st floor saying 60 minutes left I had hope, but from that point it took another 2.5 hrs (and an hour from a 2nd floor screen that said 35 minutes to go). My estimate is that security line took 3.5 hours that morning. We missed our (even delayed) flight.

Condor refused to rebook me to any other flights or even to sell me another ticket until August. At this points I frantically searched for alternatives and booked a combination of paid and mileage tickets on KLM and BA to get home. This took some time and as I didn't want to exit the airside area on a chance that we may be able to fly the same day. As a result once I got a new set of tickets it was quite a bit later than our original flight time. I went and settled the kids at the hotel and returned to the airport to deal with luggage.

I could not find my suitcase in the arrivals areas where the bags from missed flights were unloaded (thousands). I filed a PIR report with Lufthansa and provided all the details, including a destination (San Francisco) and a permanent address. I also provided a new set of flights (which now were not on Lufthansa). Next day we flew out out AMS-LHR-SAN-SJC, and being there 4+ hrs ahead really helped.

I know my changing itinerary the way I did was of my own doing, but it looked like my original ticket was gone anyways so I didn't feel I have a lot of options. I also know that I should have searched for luggage immediately after the flight, and if after the flight, even harder, but a stress of being stranded with two kids got to me to be honest.

At this point I have a PIR from AMS with LH claim tags, and I don't see a way to file anything with anyone in the US (the tags are already flagged as being searched so another report is not possible). What happens to the bags when passengers miss the flight? Will they really get re-routed all the way to the US if that is the details that I left? Is there anything I can do to help recover them? Since I never flew into international arrivals area of San Francisco, I cannot see if maybe our bags made it there after our original flights based on the tag.

If you don't have J/Sky Priority, 4 hours in economy from AMS without status is an absolute minimum. The day we stood I am not even sure this would have been enough.
Sounds like an awful experience, especially with children in tow. Hope your next itinerary is less stressful.
boss315, atflyer and Maestro Ramen like this.

Last edited by Victor88; Jul 16, 2022 at 2:48 pm Reason: Error
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:11 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
This is the route we took from the Sheraton hotel via railwaystation via arrivals hall to the western most lift leading to departures T3
There were staff at the travellators to departures T3, busy/discussion with passengers but this lift was fortunately unguarded.

Route in green from Sheraton to unguarded elevator taking you to departures T3
Yoshi DUS, boss315, klwjrw and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Nyurka

What an absolute nightmare! I’m so sorry that you had to go through all of this, and that with small children.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:29 pm

M Pier

Is the M pier also a mess?

I'm arriving at AMS with KLM but my next flight is 6 hours later with Easyjet. From what I understand is that I won't be able to connect airside and will have to go out and pass security again due to the M pier being separate.

Are the lines also a mess or would I have enough time to head out into the city for a bit?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.