FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

HadesNL Jul 13, 2022 3:44 am

Maybe after the umpteen time to get discount at KLM she went off to the competitor :)

panchuparayil Jul 13, 2022 4:08 am

Departures 1 Today @10:30 AM

Just an update - Flying out of departure 1 today around 10:30 AM. Cab dropped us off at the curbside, no lines just walked in.

Check-in, no lines as well for both SP and regular. I had luggages to check-in.

For security, I saw a small line just below the stairs for regular, I’d say 30 mins max to be out. Around 10 passengers for SP. I was in and out of security within 7-10 mins with SP, delay was mostly due to passengers not following instructions or not being prepared to put their small items in the bags for security. I am sure this is part of the problem in the regular lines as well.

I was at the gates within 20 mins.

Also, I did arrive in AMS on Monday 7/11 @7:00 AM and was at the baggage claim within 5 mins. Bags took over 15-20 mins to show up. 20-30 mins I was out.

Overall everything seemed good, both with arrivals and departures. Either things are getting sorted out or my timings were perfect.

Only gripe I had is my chauffeur (Blacklane) service which I had booked months ago cancelled literally minutes before pickup without any alternative arrangements or notice. Uber saved my day and half the cost. Lesson learned - Don’t ever use Blacklane.

mfkne Jul 13, 2022 4:53 am

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2e60a6749d.png
Europe's leading airport!

Sjoerd Jul 13, 2022 5:18 am

Originally Posted by mfkne (Post 34421177)

Bloomberg has a different ranking. BRU, FRA, EIN, CDG and others performing even worse than AMS.

One thing is certain: it’s a mess all over Europe.

AnaTFN Jul 13, 2022 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Sjoerd (Post 34421218)
Bloomberg has a different ranking. BRU, FRA, EIN, CDG and others performing even worse than AMS.

That's because the graph above doesn't take into consideration the difference in the numbers of flights that each airport handles, so obviously the ones with more flights also have more flights delayed. It needs some normalization, which is what Bloomberg did by looking at the percentage (not absolute numbers) of delayed flights. Amazing that BRU has 72% of flights delayed!

sbrower Jul 13, 2022 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Sjoerd (Post 34420895)
Wondering when the court cases against Schiphol will start. There must be hundreds/thousands of passengers by now who followed Schiphol instructions (“don’t arrive more than 4 hours before your scheduled departure time”) and missed their flights. Seems like an easy to win class action lawsuit.

To be an "easy" class action you generally need to have the same damages for everyone in the class. What damage amount is the same for everyone who missed their flight?

Nik_Jr Jul 13, 2022 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Sjoerd (Post 34421218)

Depends on what you count as important and data lacks context here. I still go for BRU, cause AMS cancels more flights. Also, it's not referenced what the average delay is.

Is it 5 minutes on each flight? Fine by me. Or less flights delayed, but when delayed for hours? Not fine by me.
Or, do they delay so passengers can still get their (connecting) flights? Fine by me, again.

CyBeR Jul 13, 2022 9:37 am

Or are they delayed because of incoming delays from other airports? I.e. a flight delayed at LHR that reaches AMS too late to turn around in time.

johan rebel Jul 13, 2022 11:48 am

Originally Posted by mfkne (Post 34421044)
When she referred to security as "douane" for the second time I turned it off.

It's a peculiarly Dutch affliction: any checkpoint or anybody in anything vaguely resembling a uniform within a mile or so of a border is referred to as "douane".

I've never understood why.

Johan

johan rebel Jul 13, 2022 11:59 am

Originally Posted by HadesNL (Post 34421083)
Maybe after the umpteen time to get discount at KLM she went off to the competitor :)

I can tell you from the horse's mouth (well, somebody who provides certain essential services to Dutch embassies etc. worldwide, and travels on BuZa's dime and a diplomatic passport) that it's J class and 5-star accommodation all the way. And we are not even talking about a politician or diplomat here.

Johan

b12e Jul 13, 2022 11:59 am

Originally Posted by AnaTFN (Post 34421268)
That's because the graph above doesn't take into consideration the difference in the numbers of flights that each airport handles, so obviously the ones with more flights also have more flights delayed. It needs some normalization, which is what Bloomberg did by looking at the percentage (not absolute numbers) of delayed flights. Amazing that BRU has 72% of flights delayed!

AMS has, next to FRA, the most cancellations though.

ethnt Jul 13, 2022 2:14 pm

I have an upcoming flight on Saturday from JFK-AMS-CPH with a layover of 1h25m:
  1. How worried should I be about missing this connection? From what I can tell passport control has been a mixed bag.
  2. How risky of a proposition is checking a bag? Is the luggage situation at AMS that bad that I should avoid checking?

UVAhoo06 Jul 13, 2022 2:24 pm

I recently had my connecting flight on 1 August from AMS-HAM (KL 1772) cancelled. When I called to rebook, the agent said it wasn't cancelled and then re-booked me on it again. What's interesting, though, is that when I make a dummy booking on KLM's website, I don't see this flight in the flight schedule. In fact, KLM doesn't show any flights operating to HAM that day, except for a morning flight; everything else is on AF. When I checked ExpertFlyer, my flight (KL 1772) is zeroed out.

When I called KLM to ask about this discrepancy today, the agent said that the flight is indeed operating and that they're simply limiting the number of passengers they're flying. I don't know if this is indeed true. I decided to book a flight on LH via MUC and requested a refund on the KLM site. I'm now worried that they're going to give me a voucher instead of a refund.

GUWonder Jul 13, 2022 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by mfkne (Post 34421044)
When she referred to security as "douane" for the second time I turned it off.

Historically, governments would at times assign responsibility for immigration and customs control to the same designee and do so whether or not there were specialized forces as an option and in use elsewhere within a country. Blame the French for “douane” and older usage living on in contemporary vernacular or as shorthand for border control.

BRU has been the pits for me for a long time, but AMS has been the one that has declined the most for me and deserves the award for the opposite of “most improved player” among European airports during the post-2019 period.

GUWonder Jul 13, 2022 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06 (Post 34422934)
I recently had my connecting flight on 1 August from AMS-HAM (KL 1772) cancelled. When I called to rebook, the agent said it wasn't cancelled and then re-booked me on it again. What's interesting, though, is that when I make a dummy booking on KLM's website, I don't see this flight in the flight schedule. In fact, KLM doesn't show any flights operating to HAM that day, except for a morning flight; everything else is on AF. When I checked ExpertFlyer, my flight (KL 1772) is zeroed out.

When I called KLM to ask about this discrepancy today, the agent said that the flight is indeed operating and that they're simply limiting the number of passengers they're flying. I don't know if this is indeed true. I decided to book a flight on LH via MUC and requested a refund on the KLM site. I'm now worried that they're going to give me a voucher instead of a refund.

They are limiting passenger counts. Better for me that they do this than cut flights to hit the reduced passenger target.