FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

HadesNL Jul 11, 22 1:08 pm

Ready to tackle T3 !
I received an email stating that Singapore Airlines check-in counters are now open 4H15min before scheduled departure time.
At 11.15 means counters are open at 7 mornings.

johan rebel Jul 11, 22 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34416086)
AMS-CPH is only 1:20 block, only just missing that doesn't feel that bad these days.

Yes, but they spent 2h45 on the plane, and arrived 1h05 late. While the luggage circus was going on, pax in J were only served water.

Johan

GUWonder Jul 11, 22 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34415268)
Huh? What? Come again?

It’s pretty obvious to me that that FTer’s thread and its post got pushed into this thread after that FTer had already asked the question outside of this thread,

3grand8grand Jul 11, 22 3:08 pm

Quick update from Monday, 7/11: arrived by train at 6:15 am. Since I no longer have status, I went upstairs to Departures 1 and was directed to the line outside in the tent. There was a full line to the very end of the tent. It moved quickly, and I was inside in 20 mins. From entering the stairs to the second floor where security check is located to passing through security it took an additional 1 hour and 10 minutes. So all told it took 1.5h to get into the secure area and proceed to the gates.

Xandrios Jul 11, 22 3:38 pm

Thanks for the report, interesting datapoint!

johan rebel Jul 11, 22 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 34416334)
It’s pretty obvious to me that that FTer’s thread and its post got pushed into this thread after that FTer had already asked the question outside of this thread,

Search before you post, i.e. check if your question has already been answered before posting it.

This thread is a continuous series of first-hand observations and experiences of the Mess in AMS, some posted nearly in real time. Feel free add your own experiences as additional data points, Safari22 and other travelers would no doubt appreciate your personal observations and guidance.

Johan

FlyingCow Jul 11, 22 11:51 pm

Data point from today. Flying non-Schengen in C. Schiphol Plaza not busy, no control of the ‘four hours’ thing whatsoever.

We headed to Departures 2 and went via the SP check in area, though we had no bags to check and found out we had to exit and then get to the escalators - two fellows were here supposedly to check but did nothing. I estimate we made it through security in less than 20’, then passport control to the left was empty and we were through in two minutes.

There was quite the queue for non priority pax at security, though moving fast.

All things considered, we left the CitizenM at 05:40 and had gone through security and passport control by 06:12. Now enjoying breakfast at the lounge.

krypttohk Jul 12, 22 12:40 am

Transferring non-Schengen to non-Schengen on a flight from NBO, wondering if it'd be quicker just to go through passport control then back in through SkyPriority security. A bit committed to this security line so won't try it, but curious if anyone tried?

Fabo.sk Jul 12, 22 2:54 am

There are no reports from transfer security. We assume no news is good news.

On the other hand, arrival passport control can get very busy. I would not try this without Privium or at very least EU biometric passport.

hi55us Jul 12, 22 12:58 pm

Flight yesterday out of AMS on KLM. Sky Priority Biz Class on KLM and things went quite well. We had the 9:45am departure, showed up at 5:45 and there was only about a 20 minute wait to check bags in the SP line. Baggage checkpoints 10-12 funneled right into the priority security line, which took about 30 minutes to get through when including passport control. All in we where at Lounge 52 after about an hour and I'm glad I didn't change our ticket to another airport after scoring this ticket for only 55k Flying Blue miles.

Sjoerd Jul 12, 22 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us (Post 34419104)
Flight yesterday out of AMS on KLM. Sky Priority Biz Class on KLM and things went quite well.

All in we where at Lounge 52 after about an hour.

How things have changed recently. In 30 years of frequent flying out of AMS, a mix of business and economy class on many different airlines including the likes of Ryanair, Easyjet, Transavia and ArkeFly, I think it never (yes indeed, never) took me an hour to go from the departure hall to behind security/passport control.

Fabo.sk Jul 12, 22 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sjoerd (Post 34419194)
How things have changed recently. In 30 years of frequent flying out of AMS, a mix of business and economy class on many different airlines including the likes of Ryanair, Easyjet, Transavia and ArkeFly, I think it never (yes indeed, never) took me an hour to go from the departure hall to behind security/passport control.

Check in for Schengen flights ends 40 minutes before departure time. Gate close is 15 minutes before.

Clearly the expectation is that you should be able to make it to the gate within 25 minutes. I would have little issue arriving <60 minutes for a Schengen flight in the before times.

robert4travels Jul 12, 22 2:27 pm

Some first hand observations from me arriving July 12th at 10:30 from JFK, and staying in AMS.
- I walked over to passport control Non-Schengen to Schengen and hardly a line.
- Passport control at airport exit at E-gates was a bit busy for non-EU passports (would say 20-30 minutes wait). But for EU nationals who could use the automated gates there was no line.
- Priority bags, including mine, were delivered about 40 minutes after I got off the plane. Not bad.
- At Schiphol Plaza (train station / arrivals level) there was staff checking at the escalators to the departure level if your flight was scheduled to leave within 4 hours. But as said before, if you walk up the stairs or take an elevator there is no check!
- Looking outside a long line past the tents to line up for security still. Glad I won't need to be in that line once I leave.
Still plenty of bags left behind in Arrivals stacked in trolleys or against the wall!

Biscoff27 Jul 12, 22 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34417645)
There are no reports from transfer security. We assume no news is good news.

So it has been a couple weeks now, but yes, there have been reports of transfer security being a problem. An author from the Points Guy was traveling on KLM from ACC-AMS-JFK (article published on 6/28/2022). He was traveling in business class and had Delta Platinum status. When he got to transfer security, he was waiting in the Priority line when it abruptly closed. It ended up taking him about 1.5 hours to get through security.

CyBeR Jul 12, 22 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Sjoerd (Post 34419194)

To this day it hasn't taken me that long.

Now on arrival on the other hand…