FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

johan rebel Jul 11, 22 8:28 am


Originally Posted by Safari22 (Post 34415075)
Has anyone been through AMS recently - wondering how the lines have been

Huh? What? Come again?

If you spend a few minutes perusing this thread you should get a pretty good idea of the situation.

Johan

johan rebel Jul 11, 22 8:43 am


Originally Posted by mpkz (Post 34415021)
Bag got sent to secondary because of a suspicious toothpaste

:D Wrong color?


Originally Posted by mpkz (Post 34415021)
14:40 and sitting on the ground in AMS with yet another "10 more mins and we're ready to leave" announcements. They said they were offloading 17 pax who didn't make it bags, but they said they'd do this and it would take 10 minutes half an hour ago.

Par for the course.

Can't recall how many times I've heard optimistic captains claim that 10 minutes was all it would take to offload luggage. On a flight last month the captain didn't even say they were looking for bags, he just vaguely referred to "finalizing loading" or something along those line. At the same time I could hear bags being chucked around in the hold right below me. I was not at all surprised when we ended up departing over half an hour late.

Johan

Solevita Jul 11, 22 9:05 am


Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34415268)
Huh? What? Come again?

If you spend a few minutes perusing this thread you should get a pretty good idea of the situation.

Johan

Looking at Safari22's other posts, they all have an aire of pointlessness...

physicsdude Jul 11, 22 9:24 am

I mean, people here are really good at updating the situation at hand. I found it very useful for my trips the past few months and not pointless. While I'm at it, thank you to everyone who's been updating the situation at AMS!

Solevita Jul 11, 22 9:31 am


Originally Posted by physicsdude (Post 34415442)
I mean, people here are really good at updating the situation at hand. I found it very useful for my trips the past few months and not pointless. While I'm at it, thank you to everyone who's been updating the situation at AMS!

Indeed and you only need to reed a few posts to see people have recently passed through AMS and reported back, hence asking if anyone had passed through recently was pointless.

physicsdude Jul 11, 22 9:41 am


Originally Posted by Solevita (Post 34415468)
Indeed and you only need to reed a few posts to see people have recently passed through AMS and reported back, hence asking if anyone had passed through recently was pointless.

Things like this can change on a daily basis and I personally think that it's very helpful to know the situation based the most recent experience because it will be the most recent one, or the situation that will be rather close. An analogy is asking for the score of a football match. You would want to be updated to the most recent score to give depth of the situation at hand, not the score before the game starts or the score of when the last time these two clubs played. This is what a few of us think and if you don't want to see more of these posts, feel free to ignore this thread as the thread is literally about updating each other in regards to the current situation at AMS.

Fabo.sk Jul 11, 22 9:46 am


Originally Posted by physicsdude (Post 34415505)
Things like this can change on a daily basis and I personally think that it's very helpful to know the situation based the most recent experience because it will be the most recent one, or the situation that will be rather close. An analogy is asking for the score of a football match. You would want to be updated to the most recent score to give depth of the situation at hand, not the score before the game starts or the score of when the last time these two clubs played. This is what a few of us think and if you don't want to see more of these posts, feel free to ignore this thread as the thread is literally about updating each other in regards to the current situation at AMS.

And that's exactly why you don't go around creating new ones asking if someone had passed through AMS recently if you see that multiple people report daily

physicsdude Jul 11, 22 9:49 am


Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34415523)
And that's exactly why you don't go around creating new ones asking if someone had passed through AMS recently if you see that multiple people report daily

Very much agreed. Also, no more "Will I make my connection" or of the like because there is the wiki on the top of this thread!

CyBeR Jul 11, 22 9:58 am


Originally Posted by physicsdude (Post 34415505)
Things like this can change on a daily basis and I personally think that it's very helpful to know the situation based the most recent experience because it will be the most recent one, or the situation that will be rather close. An analogy is asking for the score of a football match. You would want to be updated to the most recent score to give depth of the situation at hand, not the score before the game starts or the score of when the last time these two clubs played. This is what a few of us think and if you don't want to see more of these posts, feel free to ignore this thread as the thread is literally about updating each other in regards to the current situation at AMS.

What Safari22 did was akin to asking about the score of a football game while sitting in front of a giant score board. There are people here who come through AMS every day and many of them update this thread with their experience. All one needs to do to get the most recent information is to read literally one page of forum posts. Asking "has anyone come through AMS recently" in a forum of frequent fliers of an AMS-based airline makes it very clear you're not interested in doing any actual research and just want others to do the work for you.

Case in point, of the 3 posts Safari22 has made, one was a thank you and the other two were both asking for information easily found by simply reading even a small part of the thread they were posted in.

physicsdude Jul 11, 22 10:00 am

Deleted

malmostoso Jul 11, 22 10:35 am

From what I could gather on twitter, the best story of today is the FR flight whose check in desk opened 1h45' prior to departure (as usual), therefore leaving whoever had to check luggage with an insufficient amount of time to clear security. Flight left with a lot of people still in line.

TheCam Jul 11, 22 10:51 am

The Wiki suggests that coming by Train into Schipol Plaza is the ideal appraoch, which is an option for us but a pretty difficult one with 4 small kids and 12 pieces of luggage (immigration to Australia so we are LOADED)

Question - Can anybody who has been through AMS comment on how bad the Kiss and Ride line/s to enter the Terminal Buildings have looked over the last few days? If they have been 30 - 30 mins it is less of a hassle than the train option for us.

Also - Huge thanks to the Wiki contributors :tu:

Maestro Ramen Jul 11, 22 10:54 am

malmostoso
Passengers' fault. They did not pay for the check in 4 hours ahead of time option. :D

johan rebel Jul 11, 22 11:23 am

My nephew and gf (see post #1635) were treated to a special edition of the luggage freak show.

First, somebody discovered that the bags of pax who hadn't made it on board was in the hold. At that point the luggage handlers had already left, apparently because it was the end of their shift.

Next, they had to wait for the new shift to pitch up. Those guys probably had to attend a pep meeting first, or a yoga session, or whatever. In any case, they took their sweet time.

Then, having finally shown up, the handlers unloaded all the luggage, found the offending bags, and reloaded the rest.

To top it all off, by the time the luggage issue had been sorted the pushback tractor driver had given up and left, so now they had to wait for a new one.

When the flight finally departed it was already past their scheduled arrival time.

Oh what fun, it is to ride
in a Cityhopper plane
Jingle bags, jingle bags
Jingle all the way
Oh what fun, to sit and wait
in a Cityhopper plane

Johan

Fabo.sk Jul 11, 22 12:51 pm


Originally Posted by TheCam (Post 34415721)
The Wiki suggests that coming by Train into Schipol Plaza is the ideal appraoch, which is an option for us but a pretty difficult one with 4 small kids and 12 pieces of luggage (immigration to Australia so we are LOADED)

Question - Can anybody who has been through AMS comment on how bad the Kiss and Ride line/s to enter the Terminal Buildings have looked over the last few days? If they have been 30 - 30 mins it is less of a hassle than the train option for us.

Also - Huge thanks to the Wiki contributors :tu:

30 minutes should be fine. I imagine with small kids people will be willing to let you go forward, but I sure hope you have priority once inside.


Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34415826)
My nephew and gf (see post #1635) were treated to a special edition of the luggage freak show.

First, somebody discovered that the bags of pax who hadn't made it on board was in the hold. At that point the luggage handlers had already left, apparently because it was the end of their shift.

Next, they had to wait for the new shift to pitch up. Those guys probably had a attend a pep meeting first, or a yoga session, or whatever. In any case, they took their sweet time.

Then, having finally shown up, the handlers unloaded all the luggage, found the offending bags, and reloaded the rest.

To top it all off, by the time the luggage issue had been sorted the pushback tractor driver had given up and left, so now they had to wait for a new one.

When the flight finally left it was already past their scheduled arrival time.

Oh what fun, it is to ride
in a Cityhopper plane
Jingle bags, jingle bags
Jingle all the way
Oh what fun, to sit and wait
in a Cityhopper plane

Johan

AMS-CPH is only 1:20 block, only just missing that doesn't feel that bad these days. Although situation seems to be improving...

any reports on how long the bag wait is for arriving KLM Schengen flights? I am hoping the timing will work out for me to go have a quick dinner in Privium West. With any luck, I will be through to the baggage claim just in time to pick my bag up and go home.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:10 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.