Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2022, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HadesNL
- KLM confirms cancelling 47 flights (still doesn't tell which ones!)
It's pretty easy to find out by checking AMS departures and arrivals, filtering for KL flights. I use this site. It currently lists 21 canceled KL departures for today, including one single longhaul to Tokyo. With the canceled return flights that makes 42. (and KL1651 to VCE diverted to DUS this morning).

In other news, and just to cheer everyone up: squads of climate crazies belonging to various organizations predicting an imminent apocalypse have announced a day of action and disruption at all Dutch commercial airports for Saturday, May 14th.

Johan
Old Apr 30, 2022, 6:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Of course, flying C class - just not with Skyteam. Meaning I can't use the escalator to priority security within the Skypriority check-in area. From what I remember the stairs to security across from Skypriority check-in do not offer any priority lane (?) so I was wondering if 1A offers priority security. Don't think I've ever used 1A security before.
This worked for me Wednesday. Was flying AY (have OWE), just showed my FlyingBlue status to get to the Skypriority check-in area without being asked for a bp or ticket
Old Apr 30, 2022, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Of course, flying C class - just not with Skyteam. Meaning I can't use the escalator to priority security within the Skypriority check-in area. From what I remember the stairs to security across from Skypriority check-in do not offer any priority lane (?) so I was wondering if 1A offers priority security. Don't think I've ever used 1A security before.
Be warned - not all C class boarding passes get you priority at AMS.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 7:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Originally Posted by johan rebel
In other news, and just to cheer everyone up: squads of climate crazies belonging to various organizations predicting an imminent apocalypse have announced a day of action and disruption at all Dutch commercial airports for Saturday, May 14th.

Johan
Thanks for the tip!
You always seem to be the bearer of good news
Hope nobody will be burning their bras on the 14th May: https://www.14meimanifestatie.nl/aanleiding/

Last edited by HadesNL; Apr 30, 2022 at 7:36 am
Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
In theory, if you have STE+ card you show it to enter the zone. The gatekeepers, if they check, don't know you don't have a ST ticket and are already checked in as non-ST C. Then you can proceed upstairs.

As for the others, the stairs do offer priority, but that is of no help if the line is so long it blocks access to prio gates (i.e. goes down the stairs).

Security 1A is closed as best as I can tell.
The hall is not currently used, the flights that were handled there are now handled in Departures 1. As a frequent LH/OS flyer, I hope it stays that way.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Can confirm that there is a Privium gate next to the exit of the SkyPriority area. There also is one on the far right of the gates opposite SP check-in. Privium is a godsend these days as through this gate you can bypass +/- 2,5h of waiting in the general (including Elite Prio) queue that stretches outside.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:15 am

Chaos @ Schiphol today

Have never experienced a more chaotic pre-security and pre-boarding ( business class KLM Amsterdam to Austin ) experience in my life
( AA EP for 5 yrs)

Passenger with an Air France gold tag in front of me said he has never seen Schiphol like this.

Worse:

For arriving passengers, queue to enter baggage pickup area stretched into the terminal, past the McDonalds, and longer than my eye could see into the gate area.

Definitely longer than 1 American football 🏈 field. Maybe 2?

I asked what was the queue for.
Was totally relieved it was not a fifth line I needed to stand in.

Left Krasnapolsky hotel at 7:15 am.
Had 15 min spare time before starting a bizarre boarding process for a 12:50pm departure.

Gate staff seemed to disagree with each other on basic stuff.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Last week is unprecedented, you can see more in Mess in Amsterdam thread, where I will ask mods to merge this one in.

However it is suprising to hear now there was a queue for the baggage pickup! The arrivals were supposed to be ok-ish, except for the day where the baggage handlers strike happened. Are you sure it was for baggage, and not for for ex. passport control?
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:43 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
That Privium gate is labeled Priority & Privium it looks like. But looking at the scanner it's Privium only It really doesn't make sense to have a common line for Economy+Prio initially and only later on split those pax. Schiphol is really dropping the ball.
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
In theory, if you have STE+ card you show it to enter the zone. The gatekeepers, if they check, don't know you don't have a ST ticket and are already checked in as non-ST C. Then you can proceed upstairs.

As for the others, the stairs do offer priority, but that is of no help if the line is so long it blocks access to prio gates (i.e. goes down the stairs).

Security 1A is closed as best as I can tell.
The hall is not currently used, the flights that were handled there are now handled in Departures 1. As a frequent LH/OS flyer, I hope it stays that way.
That may be a useful way to get access to the priority gates indeed. From what I understand 1A itself is closed, but in the walkway to 1A they have set up a new security checkpoint? When I walked past there recently (airside) that seemed to be much quieter than the regular 1/2 security on the mezzanine.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue silver
The queue to enter baggage pickup is caused by shortage of staff at the passport control. For non-schengen flights, there is not a queue (for example you flew in on LH and need to pick up your luggage on belt 4 in arrivals 1). Coming monday, i will assist again in meeting more than 100 people arriving from the USA. I expect the same as in the past weeks: the luggage is already long on the belt, but the people are still standing in the line the OP mentions. Once they are through, they are quickly landside as their bag is waiting on the belt. But these days, it may take 2 hours from plane landing via standing in line for passports to finally exit and meet the airport rep
Old Apr 30, 2022, 12:06 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
From the news:

From this it looks like that everyone has to queue from outside, irrelevant of Priority, Privium, having to check-in or not. Are the escalators from downstairs (NS plaza) closed?
Old Apr 30, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA, KLM, Alitalia
Does anybody know the situation in departures 3. Is privium still available there?
Old Apr 30, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: Flying Blue silver
And yes, the photo's are from departures. Just horrible. Last week saturday, all escalators up from arrival level were closed indeed, as were most of the elevators.Heavy sweating and upset people were pushing their trolley or suitcase up on the (not moving) long escalators in terminal 3-4 or 'schlepping' it all upstairs via the staircases. Also, the escalators between terminal 1/2 were taped off for a while.Schiphol makes it as difficult as possible for people who for example arrive by train or bus at the airport to get to departures. Seen a lot at SPL in the past 40 years, but never as bad as this week.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by tourguide
The queue to enter baggage pickup is caused by shortage of staff at the passport control.
I often found the electronic passport arrival gates closed for some reason while the manned gates became crowded. After a while, being halfway in the queue, the e-gates would finally be opened which makes me wonder why they aren’t open permanently during opening hours like LHR.
Also often enough my priority luggage was among the last to arrive on the carrousel and when departing from T3 I had to ask security on multiple occassions if the priority lane would be opened as all passengers for some reason were directed to the general security lane. Which they kindly did, but why keeping it closed in the first place??

Last edited by Great_circle; Apr 30, 2022 at 1:50 pm
Old Apr 30, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tourguide
The queue to enter baggage pickup is caused by shortage of staff at the passport control.
We saw this first hand two weeks ago - there was one desk for EU passports while there were four for non-EU passports, and to add insult to injury disabled passengers and crew were being lead to the front of the EU passport queue. We spent about 30 minutes waiting to pass and arrived at the luggage belts just as luggage was arriving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.