Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2022, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GUWonder
Short answer: Yes, priority lines are available at Schiphol security checkpoints.

Long answer:
Priority lanes are available at Schiphol for eligible passengers of all airlines at all security checkpoints, and for holders of Privium cards at all checkpoints.

Unlike previously, since the start of 2022 Mess in Amsterdam, access is strictly policed. What this means in practice:
  • Privium card holders always have access, regardless of airline or class of travel.
  • Business class passengers of all airlines have access to priority security for themselves
  • Eligible elites of all alliances have access to priority security for themselves when flying with an alliance airline.
    • The extension of Priority benefits to all passengers on the same PNR is not a common benefit in airlines flying from Amsterdam, and particularly with SkyTeam airlines, while you will be able to check in together in the SkyPriority zone, this does not automatically allow for access to priority security. Unlike previously, access is strictly policed.
  • Select non-status Economy class passengers also have access to priority security, notably those travelling on Eco Flex tickets with Air France KLM.
  • Select low cost airline passengers also have access, for example easyJet Plus card holders travelling on easyJet flights.

What if I or my travelling partner don't fall into any of those categories?
Then you are out of luck. Waving a silver card will not help you. Nor will you be able to take your statusless wife on basis of your FB Gold card.

That said, there were some reports of successful subterfuge. The checkers are not too precise; particularly if one of two passengers has Privium and SP, one might give ones travel partner a BP with SP marked "by mistake" while passing through Privium gate.
Once upstairs/past the human checker, the BP scanner will actually accept a non-coded BP (for now at least).
Print Wikipost

Are there priority security lanes at Schiphol?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
Are there priority security lanes at Schiphol?

Given the long wait times at Schiphol reported by others, I’m trying to figure out how early to get to AMS for a flight this Friday at 11:30am. I’m flying business. I won’t be able to check in online due to the destination and as far as I’ve understood, the check-in desks for my airline will only open 3 hours in advance. One thing that could help is any way to expedite security. Are there priority lanes for business class travelers? For *G? Thanks!
Old May 23, 2022, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yonajon
Are there priority lanes for business class travelers? For *G? Thanks!
In theory yes, in practice who knows?

See the Mess in Amsterdam Today thread.

Johan
AnaTFN likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: Flying Blue silver
Given the long wait times at Schiphol reported by others, I’m trying to figure out how early to get to AMS for a flight this Friday at 11:30am. I’m flying business. I won’t be able to check in online due to the destination and as far as I’ve understood, the check-in desks for my airline will only open 3 hours in advance. One thing that could help is any way to expedite security. Are there priority lanes for business class travelers? For *G? Thanks!
Hello, it would help if you informed us which airline you are flying. In general, if you are not flying Skyteam (sky priority) or are a Privium member, there is not much left for priority lanes. Just be there 3 hours in advance at the business class check-in of your airline. For *G, you mean you fly a Star Alliance airline? This is simply not the time to cut corners and be there as late as possible. You'd better be there as early as possible, there are quite a few airlines who don't pay for priority lanes (such as Oneworld member BA...)
Old May 23, 2022, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tourguide
Hello, it would help if you informed us which airline you are flying. In general, if you are not flying Skyteam (sky priority) or are a Privium member, there is not much left for priority lanes. Just be there 3 hours in advance at the business class check-in of your airline. For *G, you mean you fly a Star Alliance airline? This is simply not the time to cut corners and be there as late as possible. You'd better be there as early as possible, there are quite a few airlines who don't pay for priority lanes (such as Oneworld member BA...)
Thanks. I'm flying El Al to TLV, which is why I can't check in online (they have a security routine they do at the check-in desks). When I said *G, I just mean that I have Star Alliance Gold Status.

I'm fine with going early, but hate to go just to wait in line for the check in desk to open I'm mostly concerned about clearing times for security and passport control.

So there is no business class line for security?
Old May 23, 2022, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There is a "Priority Line". Business class passengers of some (but maybe not all) airlines operating from AMS would have access to the Priority Line. You should verify with your check-in agent whether El Al pays for Priority access for their Business Class customers at AMS. There is no mention on the generic page discussing El Al's business class regardin business class customers having priority access at any airport.

Your Star Alliance Gold status would only grant you access to the Priority line if you were travelling on a Star Alliance flight, and you entered the relevant *A number while checking in. The priority line has a barcode scanner, and if your barcode doesn't indicate that access is granted (either by being in Business Class on an airline that grants access, or by having the relevant status in an FFP which is compatible with the airline for which you are flying) then the gate won't open.
Old May 23, 2022, 8:56 pm

Never flown through Schipol. That changes first part of June. Departing AMS-DTW-BNA back home. Flying Delta One and diamond medallion so assuming SkyPriority. Hoping the SP lanes will be open and minimal.
Old May 23, 2022, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
There is a "Priority Line". Business class passengers of some (but maybe not all) airlines operating from AMS would have access to the Priority Line. You should verify with your check-in agent whether El Al pays for Priority access for their Business Class customers at AMS. There is no mention on the generic page discussing El Al's business class regardin business class customers having priority access at any airport.

Your Star Alliance Gold status would only grant you access to the Priority line if you were travelling on a Star Alliance flight, and you entered the relevant *A number while checking in. The priority line has a barcode scanner, and if your barcode doesn't indicate that access is granted (either by being in Business Class on an airline that grants access, or by having the relevant status in an FFP which is compatible with the airline for which you are flying) then the gate won't open.
Thank you, this is very helpful. One last question: I've heard there are lines out the terminal for the check-in desk. I presume the lines are for check-in are specific to the airline and the desks they have, right? For example, while flying El Al, I'll only queue with other El Al passengers for check-in right?
Old May 24, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Literally just went through it and while it was busy, they were managing quite well and took me no more than 15 mins from walking in the airport to go past passport control.
Also employees in the lounge say Tuesday is usually quiet, so who knows
Old May 24, 2022, 12:26 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum, Hertz Platinum
The problem occurs when the line stretches beyond the electronic gates, at that point SkyPriority seems to become non existent?
Old May 24, 2022, 1:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gulbra
The problem occurs when the line stretches beyond the electronic gates, at that point SkyPriority seems to become non existent?
Can't you still sneak through the SkyPriority check in area, which feeds directly to priority/privium-only gates? This would also apply to non-SP elites, who could try to sneak to the SP area "around the back" (where the Privium gate is) because that is usually kept open. The security gates there are priority only, not SkyPriority only (the SkyPriority perception comes from the fact that typically, to get there, you have to pass through the SkyPriority check in area).
Old May 24, 2022, 1:18 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Thanks. I'm flying El Al to TLV, which is why I can't check in online (they have a security routine they do at the check-in desks). When I said *G, I just mean that I have Star Alliance Gold Status.

I'm fine with going early, but hate to go just to wait in line for the check in desk to open I'm mostly concerned about clearing times for security and passport control.

yonajon : flyer on EL AL here:
The CheckIN voor LY is always at counters 32 on the left side of T3
This is the only spot where they can guarantee LYsecurity for our safety.

If there is a Q it could be because people are still checkin for the Singapore Airlines / Easyjet counters next to it.
Flights tend to depart around the same time.

LY at 32, go left past the Q which is for Singapore Airlines & Easyjet departing at the same time

Just walk to the left and you will see the LY security presence and you can Q up there.
There are a dedicated lines for separate Economy and Business class +(priority : i believe Matmid (top) platinum)

After formalities are done you have to reach airport security & passport control at the mezzanine level.
You have to swim upstream like lox through the amount of Easyjet people who are going in the direction of M-gates security.
This is not the security you need as these are for EU-low cost flights departing from the M-gates

You will need to walk along the side towards the middle of the terminal building (counters 23) to these automated gates which lead to airport security on mezzanine level.

I believe Business + Matmid (top)Platinum will get you through the priority turnstile and then you turn right for the escalator/stairs going up. This was the case in 2020 just before pandemic hitted.
Going left is the Q for the economy airport security check. It will be as busy as Friday shopping at Carmel Market before shabbos!

After you tackle the airport security & passport control, everything should be "Kol Beseder"!
I won't mention the LY gate for obvious reasons but it can be a hike so take enough time to walk there.
- Nitzachon -

PS: *G is unfortunately useless if not flying a * airline

Last edited by HadesNL; May 24, 2022 at 1:35 am
Old May 24, 2022, 1:23 am

Thank you, this is very helpful. One last question: I've heard there are lines out the terminal for the check-in desk. I presume the lines are for check-in are specific to the airline and the desks they have, right? For example, while flying El Al, I'll only queue with other El Al passengers for check-in right?
Yes, that is correct, you only queue with El Al passengers for check in and they will have a business class desk open. El AL usually checks in at the very last row in departures 3, row 32. Check in opens 3 hours before flight departure. Lots of security staff around row 32. You still don't have an answer whether LY C pax can use a priority lane. Maybe you can call them (+31 20 644 01 01) or e-mail at [email protected].
yonajon likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:29 am

Great info and photo's by HadesNL for OP. The gate for LY flights is loud and clear on the Schiphol website, there is no secret there
HadesNL likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
tourguide : thanks for the compliment!
All is beginning to become blurry with such sheer amount of people in the Qs
Thanks for the additional information

Last edited by HadesNL; May 24, 2022 at 8:46 am
Old May 24, 2022, 6:48 am
Original Poster

HadesNL wow thank you so much for the perfect and detailed information.

tourguide also to you for the added help

Sounds like I can safely come 3 hours before and no need to arrive earlier, since the desks won't be open. Then it sounds like if I get to the right security screening, I might be able to get through with priority.

Thanks again!
HadesNL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.