Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Beware - KLM Wanted to Charge me the Wrong Amount to Change a Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:27 am
Original Poster

And, surprise, the wrong amount was higher than what I actually would have owed for the change.

Specifics - I had tickets for two from AMS to NCE. Total cost for the two tickets when I bought them last month was $320.40 (bought on klm.us.)

I looked this morning and saw that the fares had gone down on that route - klm.us would sell me tickets for my original flight or some other ones the same day for $252 with a new reservation.

I then went back into my existing reservation and used the change flights dialog. Even though the difference in fare for the two tickets was now $68.40, klm.us was only going to credit me $4.40 if I made the change, rather than the $68.40.

One clue that their system is screwed up (and perhaps a clue to the cause of the problem) - in the change dialog, it gave me a choice of the Light Fare and the Standard fare - both of which were showing the same $4.40 refund.

So I did the sensible thing - canceled the existing reservation for the $320.40 refundable voucher - and made a new reservation for $252.

I suppose if the ticket was bought after 1 March I would have had to call KLM reservations as there would not have been the refundable voucher option.

So check closely when you change your itineraries.

Edit: Upon further thought, my guess is that the $4.40 refund might just be due to the slide in the Euro versus the dollar since the tickets were purchased. Then there is probably something in the system that prevents it from using a lower fare if fares have gone down, which is why the Light and Standard fares had the same refund value. My understanding is that changes before the first flight are supposed to be charged based on current fares, not historical fares, but it does not seem to be operating that way.

Last edited by BigFlyer; Mar 9, 2022 at 12:05 pm
Old Mar 9, 2022, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
And, surprise, the wrong amount was higher than what I actually would have owed for the change.
The fare rules of the ticket you purchased almost certainly would not have allowed a refund if you changed your flights to cheaper ones. The fare difference must always be paid if you move to a more expensive flight, but the opposite is not the case, unless specifically allowed in the fare rules, which it generally is not for such a relatively cheap ticket. This is also the case if the price on the flights you already purchased are offered at a cheaper rate than what you originally paid.
Attached Images  
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
The fare rules of the ticket you purchased almost certainly would not have allowed a refund if you changed your flights to cheaper ones. The fare difference must always be paid if you move to a more expensive flight, but the opposite is not the case, unless specifically allowed in the fare rules, which it generally is not for such a relatively cheap ticket. This is also the case if the price on the flights you already purchased are offered at a cheaper rate than what you originally paid.
So if the fare goes down you can always get a voucher and then rebook at the lower fare? The travel voucher is not issued immediately, so if the voucher is not refundable you'll have to use the voucher for another flight, so I suppose this would not work for someone who doesn't plan to fly KLM/AF/DL again.

AFAIK KLM/AF is the only carrier allowing changes and/or vouchers on Basic Economy (Light) fares, so I really can't complain. With that ability to get a voucher/change flight even with lowly Silver status there is no significant difference between Light and Standard - Silver get you a checked bag and free seat selection.

However, it would be nice if they spelled out what you could and couldn't do with a change. From my search of the KLM website it does not say you can get a refund credit if you go to a lower fare - but it also doesn't say that you can't.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:18 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
So if the fare goes down you can always get a voucher and then rebook at the lower fare?
Not always , it depends on the fare you purchased , because of covid they made new temporary rules , but the key word is temporary

The travel voucher is not issued immediately, so if the voucher is not refundable you'll have to use the voucher for another flight, so I suppose this would not work for someone who doesn't plan to fly KLM/AF/DL again.
The fastest i have seen for a voucher is few hours , otherwise you can expect voucher the next business day

AFAIK KLM/AF is the only carrier allowing changes and/or vouchers on Basic Economy (Light) fares, so I really can't complain.
Yes , others moved to more restrictive rules , or some still havent returned money they promised to refund

However, it would be nice if they spelled out what you could and couldn't do with a change. From my search of the KLM website it does not say you can get a refund credit if you go to a lower fare - but it also doesn't say that you can't.
You need to check the rules of the fares you purchase , there everything is explained , often in complicated terms i agree , but it is there
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted as incorrect info.

All bookings can still be "postponed" for a non-refundable voucher though this may change in the future.

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 9, 2022 at 2:36 pm
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

The ability to cancel for a voucher has ended; this was a pandemic measure and it applies for tickets booked before 1 March for travelling commencing before 1 July.

For tickets booked on or after 1 March, as well as tickets booked before 1 March for travel starting on or after 1 July, whether you can cancel your ticket for a full refund is governed solely by the fare rules applicable to the ticket; the blanket pandemic measure of allowing refunds no longer applies.
I think the only change on 1 March is that the vouchers are no longer refundable. Have a look here under the heading "Tickets Purchased on or after 1 March 2022: https://www.klm.nl/en/information/travel-alerts

3. Request a non-refundable travel voucher

If you choose to postpone your trip, we will provide you with a non-refundable travel voucher.
  • Your travel voucher is valid for 1 year after the date of issue.
  • You can use your voucher within the validity period to book a flight that takes place after the expiry date of the voucher.
  • If the value of your voucher is higher than the price of your new booking, you'll receive another voucher for the remaining balance.
  • If the value of your voucher is lower than the price of your new booking, you will need to pay the fare difference.
  • Your travel voucher is non-refundable and non-transferable.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the only change on 1 March is that the vouchers are no longer refundable.
Apologies; this is indeed the case.

Note however that this is still an unusual case and it is likely that the ability to cancel for a voucher will, eventually, be removed.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Apologies; this is indeed the case.

Note however that this is still an unusual case and it is likely that the ability to cancel for a voucher will, eventually, be removed.
I agree that the vouchers will probably go away - as will the ability to change Light tickets for free, given the only KLM/AF does that (even DL doesn't.)

Although I do wonder - the refundable vouchers had a sunset date when they were introduced, and there is currently no sunset date for the vouchers. The voucher option is listed on the booking page where they show all of the types of fares after you have selected your flights. There is a "**" next to the "non-refundable" verbiage that says " Refundable in form of a voucher if you cancel before the 1st flight in your trip. Voucher is valid for 1 year from the date of issue, non-refundable and non-transferable."
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that the vouchers will probably go away - as will the ability to change Light tickets for free
You say it like those are two unconnected things - but they are one and the same. The ability to CANCEL all tickets (not just Light ones) is an "add-on" and leads inevitably to a voucher.

Note that you do not have the ability to CHANGE light tickets beyond what is allowed under the normal fare rules. As you saw already, when you tried to make a change, you "lost" a lot of money. You were lucky that you realised that you could still CANCEL and rebook, rather than CHANGING.

In the future, you will no longer have this option to cancel for a voucher. Making the exact same change you made just now, you would not receive a voucher. You would just get the new ticket and no refund.

Although I do wonder - the refundable vouchers had a sunset date when they were introduced, and there is currently no sunset date for the vouchers.
All vouchers currently being issued are valid for 1 year from the date of issue as you noted later in your post:

Voucher is valid for 1 year from the date of issue, non-refundable and non-transferable."
So make sure to use any non-refundable voucher date within a year of its issue.

Here's what my (refundable) voucher, issued this very morning, says:
Attached Images   

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 9, 2022 at 2:56 pm
Old Mar 10, 2022, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

You say it like those are two unconnected things - but they are one and the same. The ability to CANCEL all tickets (not just Light ones) is an "add-on" and leads inevitably to a voucher.

Note that you do not have the ability to CHANGE light tickets beyond what is allowed under the normal fare rules. As you saw already, when you tried to make a change, you "lost" a lot of money. You were lucky that you realised that you could still CANCEL and rebook, rather than CHANGING.

In the future, you will no longer have this option to cancel for a voucher. Making the exact same change you made just now, you would not receive a voucher. You would just get the new ticket and no refund.

All vouchers currently being issued are valid for 1 year from the date of issue as you noted later in your post:

So make sure to use any non-refundable voucher date within a year of its issue.

Here's what my (refundable) voucher, issued this very morning, says:
There is more than a little ambiguity as to where the voucher can be used.

I'm not sure what "it can be used to purchase an Air France or KLM ticket using AF/KL/DL/VS fares."

Then at the bottom it says "VALID ON AF/KL/DL/VS FOR 1 YEAR.."

Can it be used for a DL domestic flight?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
There is more than a little ambiguity as to where the voucher can be used.

I'm not sure what "it can be used to purchase an Air France or KLM ticket using AF/KL/DL/VS fares."

No because you can not have a AF/KL ticket without a transatlantic flight
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold
Originally Posted by fifty_two
The fastest i have seen for a voucher is few hours , otherwise you can expect voucher the next business day
Last week I cancelled a ticket on the phone, within 1 minute the voucher was in my mailbox.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The voucher can only be redeemed while completing and paying for any booking made on the website of either AF or KL, and neither AF nor KL sell standalone domestic DL flights on their websites (such flights are only sold by AF/KL in conjunction with transatlantic flights)
Old Mar 15, 2022, 12:05 am

Programs: FB
The voucher can only be redeemed while completing and paying for any booking made on the website of either AF or KL, and neither AF nor KL sell standalone domestic DL flights on their websites (such flights are only sold by AF/KL in conjunction with transatlantic flights)
Just to throw in a complication: I had an AF voucher with those rules (valid on AF/KL and both websites), and yet I wasn't able to apply it to KL ticket stock. I went through two agents. The first thought it'd be cool to issue a similar ticket for six hundred more on AF just for the honor of applying the voucher. The second figured the easiest solution was to refund the voucher.
With non-refundable vouchers, this could be a PITA.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: FB PFL
change flight on web, get a refund, call plat line, pay for the change..

Was just trying to change the return leg of a JNB BCN online. All good , I even get a small refund. except.. upon validating, I get the OOoooops.. there was a problem, call us. So I called Plat line and there I was told I had to pay 60 euros to change the return flight... I politely emailed them screen grabs of the online change offer. even then, they held their position, to a point I find almost offensive, being PFL...
Dear Mr. ,
I am sorry if my explanation was not clear for you.
You can rebook your return flight against 30.43eur fare difference per ticket or cancel tickets completely, refund them and book new tickets with Lufthansa.
Sincerely yours,

Platinum Service Line

I don't really care about the 30 euros per ticket, but it's just a matter of principle. #Whenthelefthanddoesntknowwhattherighthandisdoing ..

johan rebel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.