What’s the point of Upload @Home ?

Old Dec 13, 21, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, Avianca Diamond, HH Silver, (OtherhalfGold), IHG Gold
What’s the point of Upload @Home ?

Flew home from AMS to LHR yesterday.
I am used to using the BA Verify App which works well from the countries that accept it .
I thought the [email protected] service from KLM would be as useful .
I uploaded our vaccination certificate, Covid test results and locator form and got a email back a few hours later to say it had all be accepted and verified .
At Schiphol check in they were not at all interested in the fact that we had done this and wanted to see all the documents again .
We were told our departure gate was D8 so after the lounge which was very quiet , we wandered to the gate . On arrival we found this was not our departure gate at all but yet another document verification area . Again we had to show all documents before getting a sticker on our BPs , when we were allowed to go to our actual departure gate . It would have been nice If some one at check in had explained this to us as we only just made it and we’re last to board of the 30 passengers .

So what’s the point of upload @home ???
Old Dec 13, 21, 8:35 am

I did olci yesterday but did not get boarding passes. But today, after submitting my docs, my boarding passes instantly were available. So as a “carry on only” traveller, I was able to skip check in and go right through security.

so I guess it helps people like me avoid the unnecessary check in desk.
Xandrios, myeurocrush and KLBGO like this.
Old Dec 13, 21, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simonsmith View Post
So what’s the point of upload @home ???
It's completely pointless, as are so many of the bureaucratic hoops we are made to jump through in the battle of Mankind vs. Covid.

Johan
Old Dec 13, 21, 8:36 am

The point is

Duplicate
Old Dec 14, 21, 1:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit View Post
So as a “carry on only” traveller, I was able to skip check in and go right through security.
Same here, both on recent BER as well as LCY trips - outbound and inbound. In contrary to a trip earlier this year, this indeed also bypassed the need to visit the D8 "document check gate" for the LCY trip.

So for me there certainly was added value in it.
Old Dec 15, 21, 5:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Flying to the UK I've never bothered, because as you said, they're very adement everyone needs to pass through additional check at D8.
Have no other experience since this tool was available.
Old Dec 16, 21, 1:09 am

Programs: FB Plat
I have used it in my flights between Norway and Spain. Most times it "clears" my documents. In some cases that means i get a boarding pass, so if you only have carry on that would save time at the airport. Other times it still does not give me access to my boarding pass, so it serves zero time (all with the same destination and departure airport, i have no idea why that difference). And one time it told me my documents were NOT acceptable, leading to a whole night of stress for no reason since everything was fine next day. So I would say the benefit is a 40% chance of getting your boarding card.
Old Dec 19, 21, 7:10 am

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Mixed results here too. For Schengen destinations (the ones that accept it) I've been able to use it a few times. My impression is that CI staff isn't properly trained because in some cases they did ask for the papers again, but after informing them about the ready2fly already being set they were fine with just the passport.

And indeed, the biggest reason to use the service is that you have the boarding pass in hand before arriving to the airport. Especially when cutting it close (time-wise) that is a big advantage as, if needed, you can head straight to security and to the gate without further checks. Kind of like the old days It eliminates the need to be 'covid-uncertainty-early' at the airport.

Of course this only works for countries that do not require additional screening (like the UK). And within Schengen not all countries seem to allow it either. Most notably... NL/AMS. Pretty much all my travels originate or terminate in AMS and I have never been able to use the KL or AF upload service on the flights terminating at AMS.
Old Dec 19, 21, 9:52 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory
Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
Of course this only works for countries that do not require additional screening (like the UK). And within Schengen not all countries seem to allow it either. Most notably... NL/AMS. Pretty much all my travels originate or terminate in AMS and I have never been able to use the KL or AF upload service on the flights terminating at AMS.
It indeed must be total hit and miss then, and depending on the agent dealing with the flight, as both for BER-AMS as well as LCY-AMS it worked fine for me, BP in had before reaching the airport.
Old Dec 28, 21, 1:24 am

It worked decently fine for me. I never got an email that my docs were accepted but upon OLCI my boarding pass to BCN was available and had a Ready2Fly logo on it. Dropping off my bag the agent asked for my "proof of vaccination and negative PCR test" to which I answered that while I had the former, the latter wasn't necessary for a flight to Spain and she accepted this without further challenge. While trying to open my phone (hard with FaceID and a mask on) I also told her that I'd already done all that online at which point she looked at her screen, saw it said something like 'cleared' and accepted that as adequate proof that my docs were ok.

So long story short I suppose: if they ask to see the documentation you already uploaded, simply remind them that you've done so.
Old Jan 1, 22, 5:28 am

Back from BCN I flew BCN-CDG-AMS and while this service is being offered for flights to the Netherlands, it is inexplicably not offered for flights to France despite, you know, AF flying everyone through there. I used it anyway to see what would happen and while it did not result in a boarding pass in my app for BCN-CDG, it did give me a boarding pass (with Ready2Fly on it) for CDG-AMS, albeit initially only in the AF app (the KL app refused until I was in CDG). The check-in agent in BCN never asked for my covid documentation and the gate agent doing passport checks in the boarding line at CDG did not either. Both *did* ask others coming after me for such documentation.

I should add -- BCN seemed to have a specific Ready2Fly check-in desk. I used the SkyPriority desk so I don't know what the idea of it was, but one desk had the logo on the monitors above it.
Old Jan 1, 22, 3:48 pm

Programs: AF/KLM FB Gold, AccorHotels Gold
Similaire to my outbound expérience with AF, worked fine for me IAD AMS to Frankfurt.

The Skypriority queue at IAD was very slow, but when it was finally my turn, I was done in less than a minute. No extra doc checks done. The frenchman behind me in the queue was quite happy
Old Jan 2, 22, 3:34 am

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by CyBeR View Post
not offered for flights to France despite, you know, AF flying everyone through there.
I've used the service on MAD-CDG-ATH and AMS-CDG-ATH, so the transit through CDG by itself should not be the issue. However I have never been able to use the service on ATH-(CDG-)AMS. First I thought this was due to AMS not allowing it, but I now think that this is a limitation on the ATH side.
Old Jan 30, 22, 3:17 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, BA, LH M&M
I used [email protected] on MAN-AMS-LAS return.
On every leg, I was asked at check-in to see one or more of the documents that were verified by the [email protected] service.
Old Feb 13, 22, 2:34 pm

Programs: FB Ulti, EY Plat, QR Plat, WY Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by mikem004 View Post
I used [email protected] on MAN-AMS-LAS return.
On every leg, I was asked at check-in to see one or more of the documents that were verified by the [email protected] service.

Same here, [email protected], confirmation email and Ready2Fly on the mobile boarding pass.

However, KLM doesn't care at all about their very own program. In transit @ AMS, I got directed to the dedicated PCR Test verification checkpoint where they simply looked at my Boarding Pass and put a sticker on my Passport. KLM staff emphasized that this would be a KLM rule, even for approved [email protected] Alrighty then, just another obscure KLM thing without any added value.

At the boarding gate, no one checked if there was a sticker on the passport, I did not even have to show it. They just scanned the boarding pass (which anyway hat the R2F) and there I went.

Conclusion: nothing but ridiculous circus without any real benefit.

If they want to carry out physical document checks in AMS - fair enough and I don't have any issues with that. But then, they should stop this [email protected] bla bla immediately.

Btw, never had any issues on AF in CDG - Ready2Fly meant Ready2Fly. Period.

Search this Thread