Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Jewish girls removed from klm flight for eating outside designated times

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jewish girls removed from klm flight for eating outside designated times

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2022, 12:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by johan rebel
If the matter comes to court, we may get a verdict based on the preponderance of evidence. If not, we can keep on guessing. Or move on.
It will be dismissed based upon the United States Supreme Court ruling in El Al Israel Airlines, Ltd. v. Tsui Yuan Tseng, 525 US 155 (1999).
The exclusivity question before us has been settled prospectively in a Warsaw Convention protocol (Montreal Protocol No. 4) recently ratified by the Senate. In accord with the protocol, Tseng concedes, a passenger whose injury is not compensable under the Convention (because it entails no "bodily injury" or was not the result of an "accident") will have no recourse to an alternate remedy. We conclude that the protocol, to which the United States has now subscribed, clarifies, but does not change, the Convention's exclusivity domain. We therefore hold that recovery for a personal injury suffered "on board [an] aircraft or in the course of any of the operations of embarking or disembarking," Art. 17, 49 Stat. 3018, if not allowed under the Convention, is not available at all.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by TWA884
It will be dismissed based upon the United States Supreme Court ruling in El Al Israel Airlines, Ltd. v. Tsui Yuan Tseng, 525 US 155 (1999).
It's not going to make it that far, nor is it designed to.

It's a money play, plain and simple.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Haven't really gone through the thread and just read the first few posts - when flying in 2020 and 2021 on Air France, KLM, Delta, Hawaiian, Czech Airlines - none of the airlines ever mentioned anything about "official meal times". So it sounds like to me that this is just "legal reason" and the "real reason" is something else.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:00 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Why do people think they're wasting their time? I assume most of the people saying this are not from the US, and do not know the law. Suing for religious discrimination is a very real thing under these circumstance. If you're allowed to take your mask off while eating, but these girls who kept kosher who brought their own food to be able to practice their religion was denied that right solely because of her religious behavior, that would be discrimination. From the article that is important: "Other passengers who snacked outside of the allotted time for eating were not disciplined, the complaint said.' This would be selective punishment based upon their religion, and very illegal.

A case could be made by a lawyer that the Jews on this flight were being targeted for being Jewish and keeping their religious diet. What followed was selective targeting by the crew because they were practicing their faith, humiliating them because of their faith, and ultimately expelling them from the flight because of their religious diet.

A good lawyer can do anything....

Last edited by NWplatinum; Mar 31, 2022 at 3:07 am
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Why do people think they're wasting their time? I assume most of the people saying this are not from the US, and do not know the law. Suing for religious discrimination is a very real thing under these circumstance.
Some people on this board do know what they are talking about and do know that the Montreal Convention, like its predecessor the Warsaw Convention, pre-empts domestic actions whatever the domestic cause of action is, including actions based on discrimination. The Supreme Court decision in El Al v Tseng (mentioned above by myself at post #128 and by TWA884 at post #136) is the classic point of reference here but if you want a case involving discrimination specifically, King v American Airlines 284 F 3d 352 would do the trick.

Again, it seems to me that the issue is not so much the ultimate outcome of the case (which will in all likelihood never be fully litigated and will be settled before reaching a conclusion, as bostontraveler mentions) as the publicity it will generate.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Delete

Last edited by flyerCO; Mar 31, 2022 at 5:01 am
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
So the morale is; better wait for that Beemster cheese! 😂
johan rebel likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLBGO
So the morale is; better wait for that Beemster cheese! 😂
Is that kosher?
Old Apr 1, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
I actually think this entire crisis was caused because some AF version of the KL website promised delft houses and they ran out.
I place all blame on KL trolleys..."the trolleys that never have nor never give"...
Binba likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NickB
Some people on this board do know what they are talking about and do know that the Montreal Convention, like its predecessor the Warsaw Convention, pre-empts domestic actions whatever the domestic cause of action is, including actions based on discrimination. The Supreme Court decision in El Al v Tseng (mentioned above by myself at post #128 and by TWA884 at post #136) is the classic point of reference here but if you want a case involving discrimination specifically, King v American Airlines 284 F 3d 352 would do the trick.

Again, it seems to me that the issue is not so much the ultimate outcome of the case (which will in all likelihood never be fully litigated and will be settled before reaching a conclusion, as bostontraveler mentions) as the publicity it will generate.
Plus US DOT can consider KLM actions towards passengers when deciding if a fine is appropriate and if so how much. (The convention doesn't prohibit action by the sovereign state against the airline, only the passenger)
NickB likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.