Misconnect across tickets

Old Jul 25, 21, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Misconnect across tickets

Does KLM protect (rebook you for free) if you misconnect across separate tickets? I know DL and most Skyteam carriers will do this, but not sure about KLM. (Skyteam even implemented a tool so a ST carrier could takeover another ST carriers ticket)

Basically one KL ticket EU-AMS and separate KL ticket AMS-N America.
Old Jul 25, 21, 11:40 am

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Doubtful. Why didn't you book EU-North America with KL as one itin? Was there a price difference between that and what you ended up booking?

You may run into a nice agent willing to help, but officially, I don't believe they will rebook you for free if you are a no-show for your flight to North America. Unless the ticket rules allow for changes after departure, of course (Flex ticket?)
Old Jul 25, 21, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
Doubtful. Why didn't you book EU-North America with KL as one itin? Was there a price difference between that and what you ended up booking?

You may run into a nice agent willing to help, but officially, I don't believe they will rebook you for free if you are a no-show for your flight to North America. Unless the ticket rules allow for changes after departure, of course (Flex ticket?)
I know *A and OW protect across tickets and ST created a tool to allow this 2 years ago. ST doesn't require it AFAIK, thus question. I know DL does it, but have never had reason to know about KL policy.

Tickets are separate because trips weren't both planned at same time as 1st ticket was booked.
Old Jul 26, 21, 2:49 am

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I'm pretty sure that *A does not. Maybe the US carries have such policy, but that is not alliance wide. If I were to book two *A tickets in Europe and self-connect, missing that connection... I'd be out of luck for that second flight/ticket.

The ST tool you refer to is this? That does not sound like it is specifically aimed at protecting across multiple tickets. I may be wrong but my impression is that does applies to flights on a single ticket.

OW I would not know, maybe they handle this differently.
Old Jul 26, 21, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
I'm pretty sure that *A does not. Maybe the US carries have such policy, but that is not alliance wide. If I were to book two *A tickets in Europe and self-connect, missing that connection... I'd be out of luck for that second flight/ticket.

The ST tool you refer to is this? That does not sound like it is specifically aimed at protecting across multiple tickets. I may be wrong but my impression is that does applies to flights on a single ticket.

OW I would not know, maybe they handle this differently.
When DL announced this tool they announced (in email) it was for across tickets. This has been my experience ther three times I've had an experience. Carriers wouldn't need access to rebook their own tickets/flights.
Old Jul 26, 21, 3:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I know *A and OW protect across tickets and ST created a tool to allow this 2 years ago. ST doesn't require it AFAIK, thus question. I know DL does it, but have never had reason to know about KL policy.

Tickets are separate because trips weren't both planned at same time as 1st ticket was booked.
Some *A carriers may do this but most certainly do not. Same with OW. BA for example will not do anything across separate tickets.
Old Jul 26, 21, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I remember that OW had such a policy or some of its members had, but I am not sure it still exists as I cannot find anymore mention of this on OW site. You can only find for OW this which doesn't look too promising :

*A never had any official pan-alliance policy AFAIK. Same for ST.
Each individual carrier may have their own policy bit, in most cases, it is entirely up to the mood of the agent you will talk to. KL is no different and you may have to argue. Even as C2000 Ultimate with AF, I had to argue in such a case 2 years ago (I was successful ).

And the ST rebooking tool you are talking about is for facilitating rebooking across ST carriers in case of misconnection but not on separate tickets.
Old Jul 26, 21, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Some *A carriers may do this but most certainly do not. Same with OW. BA for example will not do anything across separate tickets.
I know they won't check bags, OW does still protect across tickets. (Have had BA rebook an AA ticket just this year)

As for *A, I normally am limited to UA/NZ, and they said it was *A policy. (The one time I needed) It could just be UA/NZ policy.
Old Jul 26, 21, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
I remember that OW had such a policy or some of its members had, but I am not sure it still exists as I cannot find anymore mention of this on OW site. You can only find for OW this which doesn't look too promising :

*A never had any official pan-alliance policy AFAIK. Same for ST.
Each individual carrier may have their own policy bit, in most cases, it is entirely up to the mood of the agent you will talk to. KL is no different and you may have to argue. Even as C2000 Ultimate with AF, I had to argue in such a case 2 years ago (I was successful ).

And the ST rebooking tool you are talking about is for facilitating rebooking across ST carriers in case of misconnection but not on separate tickets.
No the ST rebooking tool is specifically to allow one ST airline take control of another ST ticket and reservation. This I can say with 100% certainty. Now not all ST offer this, thus question. I'm going to ask KLM for an answer, but seems from here they don't.
Old Jul 26, 21, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
No the ST rebooking tool is specifically to allow one ST airline take control of another ST ticket and reservation. This I can say with 100% certainty. Now not all ST offer this, thus question. I'm going to ask KLM for an answer, but seems from here they don't.
I totally agree with you here, but this tool has not been designed to be used for handling misconnect on separate tickets. It can be used for that for sure, but its primary use is to handle misconnections on single PNR.
Old Jul 26, 21, 9:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I can tell you from experience a 2-3 years ago, the misconnect on separate tickets wasn't taken care of.
Was flying JFK-AMS, coming back from holiday, which was delayed with 24h (KL marketed, DL operated)
I missed my KL flight AMS-CPH the next day (flying for business), which I needed to rebook on my company's expense to the next day. Even a complaint didn't help here, but as it was the company who paid, I didn't make a big deal out of it in the end as I had better things to do
Old Jul 26, 21, 9:32 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by r0gerthat View Post
I can tell you from experience a 2-3 years ago, the misconnect on separate tickets wasn't taken care of.
Was flying JFK-AMS, coming back from holiday, which was delayed with 24h (KL marketed, DL operated)
I missed my KL flight AMS-CPH the next day (flying for business), which I needed to rebook on my company's expense to the next day. Even a complaint didn't help here, but as it was the company who paid, I didn't make a big deal out of it in the end as I had better things to do
I have had it taken care of. Was on an AMS-YUL-JFK with a 16hr layover in YUL, connecting to a JFK-CDG-FRA. AMS-YUL got delayed 24hr for mechanical and KLM re-booked me on AMS-JFK instead of sending me on to YUL. This was a DL ticket to YUL and an AF ticket for JFK-CDG. Appears to not be automatic, but I don't see why they wouldn't on two KLM tickets. Could be status related though.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Jul 26, 21, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
I totally agree with you here, but this tool has not been designed to be used for handling misconnect on separate tickets. It can be used for that for sure, but its primary use is to handle misconnections on single PNR.
If it was on one ticket there was no need for the tool. An airline already has access to the whole ticket within 48hrs of departureof their flight. There's never been an issue when on one ticket being rebooked and even today it's the duty of airline to do so even for non-partner flights on the ticket.

The tool was specifically designed to allow one ST airline to take over the reservation and ticket of another ST airline. The idea being that like OW, ST carriers would protect across tickets as long as both are ST carrier tickets/reservations.

Originally Posted by r0gerthat View Post
Did you contact DL or KLM? DL has a policy of rebooking the partner ticket (at that time only of ST partners they had access to pull the ticket over, which AF/KL was), and as was KLM they for sure would've had access.
Old Jul 26, 21, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bankops View Post
I have had it taken care of. Was on an AMS-YUL-JFK with a 16hr layover in YUL, connecting to a JFK-CDG-FRA. AMS-YUL got delayed 24hr for mechanical and KLM re-booked me on AMS-JFK instead of sending me on to YUL. This was a DL ticket to YUL and an AF ticket for JFK-CDG. Appears to not be automatic, but I don't see why they wouldn't on two KLM tickets. Could be status related though.
Unless you've checked bags across tickets, there's no way for system to know of the other ticket to automatically rebook.
Old Jul 26, 21, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

If it was on one ticket there was no need for the tool. An airline already has access to the whole ticket within 48hrs of departureof their flight. There's never been an issue when on one ticket being rebooked and even today it's the duty of airline to do so even for non-partner flights on the ticket.

The tool was specifically designed to allow one ST airline to take over the reservation and ticket of another ST airline. The idea being that like OW, ST carriers would protect across tickets as long as both are ST carrier tickets/reservations.
Bolding is mine.
I disagree for the 1st statement. The 2nd bolded sentence is correct per se but it does apply to the one PNR misconnection handling. Let's take 2 examples on a CDG-PVG-HAN itinerary, with 1st flight by AF and 2nd flight by MU, on a single PNR. I miss the connection and I am rebooked on a later flight PVG-HAN.
1) still operated by MU. In this case the ST tool was not needed as MU has access and full control of the PNR
2) there is no more MU flight and the new flight is operated by VN. Even if the rebooking was possible before ST developed their rebooking tool, it is now much easier with it.

I can guarantee you that there is no pan-alliance policy of protection and free rebooking if you misconnect on separate tickets, at least for ST and *A. For OW, to be confirmed if it still exists. Generally speaking (true for AF & KL), Airlines are more keen to do it when the misconnection involves only their own flights, but it is never guaranteed and left at the appreciation of the ticketing agent. Status and class of travel play a role as well.
Internet forums, including FT, are full of stories of people who misconnected on separate tickets and had to pay in full a new ticket.
NickB, Fabo.sk and DiamondMile like this.

Search this Thread