Wiki Posts
Search

Union demands fewer flights at Schiphol

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2021, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Union demands fewer flights at Schiphol

According to Luchtvaartnieuws , Dutch union FNV has written to the Dutch transport inspectorate ILT, demanding an immediate reduction of the number of flights at AMS. Union claims staff are underpaid, overworked and unqualified for their jobs. The situation is so bad that gate agents have been known to start crying because they had to handle a flight all alone, and that two baggage handlers had to unload a 777 by themselves. Union also says that airport employees are resigning in droves.

Johan
Old Jul 23, 2021, 11:19 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
A very strange solution proposal to a (probably) very real problem.

I thought France’s CGT had a monopoly of demanding to throw the baby with the bath water all the time…
Old Jul 25, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: AF, BA, SK, Marriott & Hilton
I have been in Schipol 3 times this week end, and I must say, I felt it was pre-covid times in the schengen area at least.
Shop alley was packed, planes were packed and on top they did double check if we had the right paper even though I had "readytofly" on my boarding....
KLBGO likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 2:18 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Accor Gold
It's quite strange how many airports are adapting so badly to the current travel surge. On OTP the airport even wanted to send all employees in technical unemployment 1 day a week for the rest of the year "due to low travel demand", with enormous queues on so many hours daily (they eventually backtracked, but the airport is still severely understaffed). It's been similar in several airports I've visited since June, except CDG which was the only one that looked relatively empty (except 2F at peak hours).
Old Jul 28, 2021, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by curiousexplorer
It's quite strange how many airports are adapting so badly to the current travel surge.
The other week I enjoyed a 45-minute wait in the single CPH KL SkyPriority line. KL claimed that with only 19 SP pax booked, one check-in desk was sufficient. Duh - time for a reality check. Covid document checks and the usual share of flying boneheads makes for a pernicious combination.

Johan
Thysk likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 3:36 pm

Don't often see a union admit that their members are "unqualified for their jobs".
johan rebel, Solevita and Thysk like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 5:14 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by xooz
Don't often see a union admit that their members are "unqualified for their jobs".
To the contrary, I don't think I've ever seen a Union who didn't think that interns (in this case who are handling check-in) were unqualified to do the jobs that union members should be doing. Reading the article may shed some light as to what is being said.

Stagiaires moeten zonder opleiding en begeleiding de check-in van
Old Jul 28, 2021, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Union hyperbole?

I have no idea how an intern without any training and supervision would be able to check in even a single pax.

Also, I can't think of any job that union members should be doing. On the other hand, I can think of many that should be done by qualified employees. Nothing against unions, they often have a useful (and hopefully constructive) role to play, but deciding which jobs should be reserved for their members is not one of them.

Johan
Solevita and Thysk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.