Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trans AMS from US to ATH + Lounge Choice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2021, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Trans AMS from US to ATH + Lounge Choice

Meeting up with my elderly parents and sister who have never traveled internationally before and need to make sure I provide them with the proper info to assemble once we all land within 30 minutes of each other in AMS. I'm not sure where the most suitable area to meet up in, so our current plan is to meet in Crown Lounge 52, but I'm not sure if we have to go to the Schengen Lounge 25 since we're connecting to Athens.

Is funneling through passport control different depending on what lounge we would choose? Do you clear it 1st on the way to Lounge 25 and then be done with it, or can you go straight to either lounge and then clear passport control before boarding the ATH flight?

We all have a 4-hour layover, and I want them to experience the nicer lounge as this is the 1st time they've ever flown in Business and have lounge access. Most likely will arrange for assistance to get them from the plane to whichever lounge we need to meet up in, so that's another aspect that I need to make them aware of.

I extend my extreme gratitude to anyone with some time to offer a detailed outline of these scenarios that I can forward to them for a successful, stress-free transfer.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
To go to lounge 52 you don't need to clear passport control. If you want to go the Schengen lounge you'll clear passport control first. You have the choice of first going to 52 for a while and then making your way through passport control, after which you may have time left still for a stay at the Schengen lounge. I personally like 52 more than the Schengen lounge, but then again I haven't been to the latter for over a year, so I don't know what may have changed.
jayc likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by mfkne
I personally like 52 more than the Schengen lounge, but then again I haven't been to the latter for over a year, so I don't know what may have changed.
As @mfkne said if you go to lounge 52, you'll have to clear immigration afterwards, if you go to lounge 25, you'll clear immigration first.
Lounge 25 was renovated about 1 year ago and the experience is almost the same. Both provide food & beverage, showers, and are not that crowded these days.

I'd say pick either depending on whether you'd feel safer going through passport control earlier (then go to lounge 25), or would rather enjoy a wider variety of seating and some windows that allow plane-spotting (then lounge 52 is for you).
jayc likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Can you -as an American- transit via AMS and access the Schengen area for your flight to ATH?
I know that Greece is opening for tourism - but I am not sure whether this will provide you access to the Schengen area in AMS.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold
Originally Posted by mfkne
To go to lounge 52 you don't need to clear passport control. If you want to go the Schengen lounge you'll clear passport control first. You have the choice of first going to 52 for a while and then making your way through passport control, after which you may have time left still for a stay at the Schengen lounge. I personally like 52 more than the Schengen lounge, but then again I haven't been to the latter for over a year, so I don't know what may have changed.
Make sure to check opening hours of the Schengen lounge.
jayc and SilverJonten like this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Wouldn't it be easier for you to help your family through passport control, since it's their first international trip?

Then it would make sense to meet in 52 first.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Wouldn't it be easier for you to help your family through passport control, since it's their first international trip?

Then it would make sense to meet in 52 first.
That was my thinking, so I do think using 52 is the better choice given those circumstances.

Thanks, everyone for your valuable advice - I really appreciate it!
maalloc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.