Catering updates 2021

Old Jun 15, 22, 12:53 pm
  #331  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: PAR, TYO, SEL, SIN, SYD
Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Gold
Posts: 422
So I was on a flight to BGO when I decided to look at the menu for one and noticed the extra serving section.
Upon asking the FA she looked confused, then her eyes opened in surprise, she said « Oh! » and went back to the galley and kept on repeating « new item new item ». She then proceeded to walk around the cabin to serve us this.



Comments in the cabin ranged from « It’s an acquired taste » to « tastes too healthy ». Not a big fan either.
Well a couple of flights later I was offered its evil twin, colloquially called « the green one ». Needless to say that didn’t go down too well either.

Any big fans of these « healthy drinks »?
Gulbra likes this.
Digicola is offline  
Old Jun 15, 22, 1:59 pm
  #332  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FRA/SXB
Programs: AF/KLM FB Gold, AccorHotels Gold
Posts: 971
Perhaps Mme van Streun might enjoy the smoothies. After all, she seems quite proud of the current offerings....
johan rebel likes this.
mlin32 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 22, 4:55 pm
  #333  
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 74
YYC-AMS business class May 27


antipasto starter. 8/10


beef "short rib" with cheesy potatoes, carrots, and baked apples. 7/10.

As someone who recently attempted braised short rib at home, I'm pretty sure the meat wasn't actually short rib, but some sort of round roast cut to short rib size. It was quite lean and the texture was harder than shortrib. Not bad, but not good either. Just meat in meat sauce. Potatoes were great though. Carrots and apples were not bland, but were quite plain, I added the last of the dutch butter to the carrots and it improved them.


5/10 Desserts were meh. Two of the three things were chocolate, which I don't really care for. The green thing was not memorable in any way. It's green but did not taste like either pistachio or matcha, so who knows what it's supposed to be. The thing in the middle was very hard and dry, more like a stale bread than a stale cake in texture.



Note that even though the catering appears to have been loaded in Canada, that the butter is still Dutch (which only sometimes happens). KLM's food choices are notoriously mediocre, but the butter and cheese are always better flying out of AMS than on the return leg, but usually everything else is better coming the other way.
p106_peppy is offline  
Old Jun 15, 22, 8:02 pm
  #334  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Posts: 784
Originally Posted by p106_peppy View Post
YYC-AMS business class May 27


antipasto starter. 8/10


beef "short rib" with cheesy potatoes, carrots, and baked apples. 7/10.

As someone who recently attempted braised short rib at home, I'm pretty sure the meat wasn't actually short rib, but some sort of round roast cut to short rib size. It was quite lean and the texture was harder than shortrib. Not bad, but not good either. Just meat in meat sauce. Potatoes were great though. Carrots and apples were not bland, but were quite plain, I added the last of the dutch butter to the carrots and it improved them.


5/10 Desserts were meh. Two of the three things were chocolate, which I don't really care for. The green thing was not memorable in any way. It's green but did not taste like either pistachio or matcha, so who knows what it's supposed to be. The thing in the middle was very hard and dry, more like a stale bread than a stale cake in texture.



Note that even though the catering appears to have been loaded in Canada, that the butter is still Dutch (which only sometimes happens). KLM's food choices are notoriously mediocre, but the butter and cheese are always better flying out of AMS than on the return leg, but usually everything else is better coming the other way.
Actually does not look bad in the photos, I have seen so much worse on other carriers, what were the other menu choices? I will be flying KLM YYC-AMS-BER ARN-AMS-YYC in September/October. If you want bad try Aeromexico’s food offerings in J or the inedible offerings Air Canada serves between YVR and LAX.
tobegold is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 1:42 am
  #335  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: HAG
Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Posts: 4,127
Originally Posted by Digicola View Post
So I was on a flight to BGO when I decided to look at the menu for one and noticed the extra serving section.
Upon asking the FA she looked confused, then her eyes opened in surprise, she said « Oh! » and went back to the galley and kept on repeating « new item new item ». She then proceeded to walk around the cabin to serve us this.

Comments in the cabin ranged from « It’s an acquired taste » to « tastes too healthy ». Not a big fan either.
Well a couple of flights later I was offered its evil twin, colloquially called « the green one ». Needless to say that didn’t go down too well either.

Any big fans of these « healthy drinks »?
New item?

Unless it's just a new flavor or the FA is fresh back from furlough... this has been discussed a long time ago.

I haven't had the pleasure, my only KL C flight since pre-pandemic was AMS-CDG where they don't give these out.
Fabo.sk is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 9:28 am
  #336  
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by tobegold View Post
Actually does not look bad in the photos, I have seen so much worse on other carriers, what were the other menu choices? I will be flying KLM YYC-AMS-BER ARN-AMS-YYC in September/October. If you want bad try Aeromexico’s food offerings in J or the inedible offerings Air Canada serves between YVR and LAX.

I actually quite like Air Canada's catering. In the NA market it goes above and beyond what you'd expect from most American-based carriers. I credit being headquartered in Quebec, where for all their flaws, at least they take food and wine seriously,,

Here's the full menu from that flight. I'll see if my husband has pictures of his meal in his phone too.







tobegold likes this.

Last edited by p106_peppy; Jun 16, 22 at 9:53 am
p106_peppy is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 11:10 am
  #337  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,048
Originally Posted by p106_peppy View Post
Here's the full menu from that flight.
No choice of hot breakfast? That's hardly a full menu.

Johan
johan rebel is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 11:20 am
  #338  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,048
Originally Posted by p106_peppy View Post
Here's the full menu from that flight.
No choice of hot breakfast? That's hardly a full menu.

Johan
johan rebel is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 11:28 am
  #339  
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
No choice of hot breakfast? That's hardly a full menu.

Johan

I recall it being mediocre, but that's okay because it meant I still had stomach room for my layover in AMS.
p106_peppy is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 11:58 am
  #340  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,048
Originally Posted by p106_peppy View Post
it meant I still had stomach room for my layover in AMS.
I trust and hope you didn't fill your tummy with doggy food in the KLM Crown Lounge.

Johan
johan rebel is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 8:37 pm
  #341  
 
Join Date: May 2021
Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Ex-skywards Platnium
Posts: 321
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
I trust and hope you didn't fill your tummy with doggy food in the KLM Crown Lounge.

Johan
To play devil's advocate, I love a good English Breakfast and the English Breakfast spread that was at the Crown Lounge 52 were pretty good every time I've been there.
johan rebel likes this.
physicsdude is offline  
Old Jun 17, 22, 8:46 am
  #342  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 3,814
Originally Posted by Digicola View Post
So I was on a flight to BGO when I decided to look at the menu for one and noticed the extra serving section.
Upon asking the FA she looked confused, then her eyes opened in surprise, she said « Oh! » and went back to the galley and kept on repeating « new item new item ». She then proceeded to walk around the cabin to serve us this.



Comments in the cabin ranged from « It’s an acquired taste » to « tastes too healthy ». Not a big fan either.
Well a couple of flights later I was offered its evil twin, colloquially called « the green one ». Needless to say that didn’t go down too well either.

Any big fans of these « healthy drinks »?
Are the part of the standard handouts irrespective of time of day? I was only handed this once during breakfast service, but I did see on another flight (in Y) that these were also handed out during a late evening flight in EBC.
Yes - I do like these drinks.

Cheers!
nldogbert is offline  
Old Jun 17, 22, 8:50 am
  #343  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 3,814
Originally Posted by p106_peppy View Post
YYC-AMS business class May 27

antipasto starter. 8/10
beef "short rib" with cheesy potatoes, carrots, and baked apples. 7/10.

As someone who recently attempted braised short rib at home, I'm pretty sure the meat wasn't actually short rib, but some sort of round roast cut to short rib size. It was quite lean and the texture was harder than shortrib. Not bad, but not good either. Just meat in meat sauce. Potatoes were great though. Carrots and apples were not bland, but were quite plain, I added the last of the dutch butter to the carrots and it improved them.

5/10 Desserts were meh. Two of the three things were chocolate, which I don't really care for. The green thing was not memorable in any way. It's green but did not taste like either pistachio or matcha, so who knows what it's supposed to be. The thing in the middle was very hard and dry, more like a stale bread than a stale cake in texture.

Note that even though the catering appears to have been loaded in Canada, that the butter is still Dutch (which only sometimes happens). KLM's food choices are notoriously mediocre, but the butter and cheese are always better flying out of AMS than on the return leg, but usually everything else is better coming the other way.
Are these supposed to be the catering from the 3 Michelin Star Librije restaurant? If yes, very very underwhelming and in fact - quite a negative impression to the place/cook.

Cheers!
johan rebel likes this.
nldogbert is offline  
Old Jun 17, 22, 1:51 pm
  #344  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,048
I don't understand why any reputable chef would want to be associated with airline grub. I guess they do it for the money.

Johan
physicsdude likes this.
johan rebel is offline  
Old Jun 17, 22, 3:04 pm
  #345  
 
Join Date: May 2021
Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Ex-skywards Platnium
Posts: 321
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
I don't understand why any reputable chef would want to be associated with airline grub. I guess they do it for the money.

Johan
Same, but they also do it for clout, exposure, and possibly get people to go to their restaurants.
physicsdude is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread