Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Catering updates 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
So I was on a flight to BGO when I decided to look at the menu for one and noticed the extra serving section.
Upon asking the FA she looked confused, then her eyes opened in surprise, she said « Oh! » and went back to the galley and kept on repeating « new item new item ». She then proceeded to walk around the cabin to serve us this.

Comments in the cabin ranged from « It’s an acquired taste » to « tastes too healthy ». Not a big fan either.
Well a couple of flights later I was offered its evil twin, colloquially called « the green one ». Needless to say that didn’t go down too well either.

Any big fans of these « healthy drinks »?
Arpoador likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Perhaps Mme van Streun might enjoy the smoothies. After all, she seems quite proud of the current offerings....
johan rebel likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:55 pm

YYC-AMS business class May 27

antipasto starter. 8/10

beef "short rib" with cheesy potatoes, carrots, and baked apples. 7/10.

As someone who recently attempted braised short rib at home, I'm pretty sure the meat wasn't actually short rib, but some sort of round roast cut to short rib size. It was quite lean and the texture was harder than shortrib. Not bad, but not good either. Just meat in meat sauce. Potatoes were great though. Carrots and apples were not bland, but were quite plain, I added the last of the dutch butter to the carrots and it improved them.

5/10 Desserts were meh. Two of the three things were chocolate, which I don't really care for. The green thing was not memorable in any way. It's green but did not taste like either pistachio or matcha, so who knows what it's supposed to be. The thing in the middle was very hard and dry, more like a stale bread than a stale cake in texture.

Note that even though the catering appears to have been loaded in Canada, that the butter is still Dutch (which only sometimes happens). KLM's food choices are notoriously mediocre, but the butter and cheese are always better flying out of AMS than on the return leg, but usually everything else is better coming the other way.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:02 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by p106_peppy

antipasto starter. 8/10

As someone who recently attempted braised short rib at home, I'm pretty sure the meat wasn't actually short rib, but some sort of round roast cut to short rib size. It was quite lean and the texture was harder than shortrib. Not bad, but not good either. Just meat in meat sauce. Potatoes were great though. Carrots and apples were not bland, but were quite plain, I added the last of the dutch butter to the carrots and it improved them.

5/10 Desserts were meh. Two of the three things were chocolate, which I don't really care for. The green thing was not memorable in any way. It's green but did not taste like either pistachio or matcha, so who knows what it's supposed to be. The thing in the middle was very hard and dry, more like a stale bread than a stale cake in texture.

Note that even though the catering appears to have been loaded in Canada, that the butter is still Dutch (which only sometimes happens). KLM's food choices are notoriously mediocre, but the butter and cheese are always better flying out of AMS than on the return leg, but usually everything else is better coming the other way.
Actually does not look bad in the photos, I have seen so much worse on other carriers, what were the other menu choices? I will be flying KLM YYC-AMS-BER ARN-AMS-YYC in September/October. If you want bad try Aeromexico’s food offerings in J or the inedible offerings Air Canada serves between YVR and LAX.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:42 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Digicola
So I was on a flight to BGO when I decided to look at the menu for one and noticed the extra serving section.
Upon asking the FA she looked confused, then her eyes opened in surprise, she said « Oh! » and went back to the galley and kept on repeating « new item new item ». She then proceeded to walk around the cabin to serve us this.

Comments in the cabin ranged from « It’s an acquired taste » to « tastes too healthy ». Not a big fan either.
Well a couple of flights later I was offered its evil twin, colloquially called « the green one ». Needless to say that didn’t go down too well either.

New item?

Unless it's just a new flavor or the FA is fresh back from furlough... this has been discussed a long time ago.

I haven't had the pleasure, my only KL C flight since pre-pandemic was AMS-CDG where they don't give these out.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by tobegold
Actually does not look bad in the photos, I have seen so much worse on other carriers, what were the other menu choices? I will be flying KLM YYC-AMS-BER ARN-AMS-YYC in September/October. If you want bad try Aeromexico’s food offerings in J or the inedible offerings Air Canada serves between YVR and LAX.

I actually quite like Air Canada's catering. In the NA market it goes above and beyond what you'd expect from most American-based carriers. I credit being headquartered in Quebec, where for all their flaws, at least they take food and wine seriously,,

Here's the full menu from that flight. I'll see if my husband has pictures of his meal in his phone too.

tobegold likes this.

Last edited by p106_peppy; Jun 16, 2022 at 9:53 am
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the full menu from that flight.
No choice of hot breakfast? That's hardly a full menu.

Johan
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the full menu from that flight.

Johan
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel

Johan

I recall it being mediocre, but that's okay because it meant I still had stomach room for my layover in AMS.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it meant I still had stomach room for my layover in AMS.
I trust and hope you didn't fill your tummy with doggy food in the KLM Crown Lounge.

Johan
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:37 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
I trust and hope you didn't fill your tummy with doggy food in the KLM Crown Lounge.

Johan
To play devil's advocate, I love a good English Breakfast and the English Breakfast spread that was at the Crown Lounge 52 were pretty good every time I've been there.
johan rebel likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 8:46 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Digicola

Are the part of the standard handouts irrespective of time of day? I was only handed this once during breakfast service, but I did see on another flight (in Y) that these were also handed out during a late evening flight in EBC.
Yes - I do like these drinks.

Cheers!
Old Jun 17, 2022, 8:50 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

antipasto starter. 8/10

Are these supposed to be the catering from the 3 Michelin Star Librije restaurant? If yes, very very underwhelming and in fact - quite a negative impression to the place/cook.

Cheers!
johan rebel likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't understand why any reputable chef would want to be associated with airline grub. I guess they do it for the money.

Johan
physicsdude likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 3:04 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
I don't understand why any reputable chef would want to be associated with airline grub. I guess they do it for the money.

Johan
Same, but they also do it for clout, exposure, and possibly get people to go to their restaurants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.