Catering updates 2021

Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto
The salmon thing a couple of posts up looks quite good. What city pair was that?
Menu has changed, but not the concept. So on flights departing after 12 p.m. it's now the salmon thing from AMS, and the tabouleh/falafel thing to AMS. The Greta cutlery is guaranteed on all flights, though.

Johan
Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BubbaX
and an "American pancake" with jam instead of syrup?
Apart from the syrup thing, those pancakes had better be plenty fluffy to qualify as American. As this is the plane-parked-overnight box, and the contents conform to nuclear fallout shelter prepper standards, they are more likely to be plenty stale.

Johan
Arpoador and BubbaX like this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:59 am

flyerCO et al,

Any recommendations for meals on the Austin to Amsterdam flight Ill be on Saturday?

( business class )

I looked on the app for an option to reserve meals in advance. Didnt see it.

Also, does KLM serve kiwi? (am allergic)
Old Apr 15, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
There's no option to reserve in advance. Think only Delta does that on Skyteam.

KLM food is better than Delta.
...marginally.

Kiwi isn't something that you see on every tray, but can't exclude it from being in fruit salads etc...
Old Apr 16, 2022, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
There's no option to reserve in advance. Think only Delta does that on Skyteam.
AF does.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 3:43 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum, Hertz Platinum
KLM Launches New Long-Haul Business Class Menu

This part has me worried, KLM is set to introduce brand-new tableware in World Business Class during the second half of 2022 in line with its sustainability mission. Is Greta coming for WBC?

https://simpleflying.com/klm-launche...ss-class-menu/
Old Apr 16, 2022, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gulbra
Is Greta coming for WBC?
Of course! She wants everybody to panic, remember?

Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
AF does.
Really? Dang. Flew GRU-CDG less than a month ago and didn't notice/try.

Chose the fish onboard and regretted it.

As dry as it looks
Old Apr 17, 2022, 9:38 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
There seems to have been some kind of change short-haul. My KLM AMS-CDG flight last week also offered a somewhat different box from before - similar to the one in post #251 (Though I believe no pancakes). To be honest I only had a few bites, returned the rest and tried to forget about the thing as quickly as possible
johan rebel and Arpoador like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
My KLM AMS-CDG flight last week also offered a somewhat different box from before - similar to the one in post #251 (Though I believe no pancakes).
I bet they dare not serve "American" pancakes on a flight to France.

Johan
Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y1)
I honestly don't understand why KL thinks it's acceptable to give greta cutlery and disposable wander boxes to Business passengers.

In comparison, this was my "punishment" for them canceling part of my KL trip, having it rebooked on AF instead via (mask-less) CDG instead.

Beside the obvious nicer lounge, I think I'll go for AF when it's an option from now on (instead of KL).

Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
What are the offerings like nowadays in Y on longer EUR sectors like ATH?
Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: FB
So, what's the catering like on longer European flights in Y? Probably like the shorter ones.
If you've ever worked in a Dutch environment, you're familiar with some of the idiosyncrasies of what they eat and how their food service (Horeca is the Dutch acronymish word) works. In your canteen, their sandwiches will always be called "luxus sandwich". This behaves according to the same Batavism that decides that a traditional dessert must be a custard of some sort; even if it has a name like "pie" or "cheesecake", you have to be able to drink it.
So, what makes a luxus sandwich luxus? Well, it has bread, meat, something green, and cheese. Because it has cheese, it must also have jelly. There are rules. So, your luxus sandwich could be roast beef, brie, rucola and quince jelly, or salami, iceberg, Gouda, and orange marmalade, but those elements are always there.
So, you may get your luxus sandwich, and wonder "All they ever serve here is a luxury sandwich. What is, for these people, a normal sandwich?"
Then you'll sit down at the table and notice that your medewerker, Cees, has brought his lunch in: a bag of storebought pre-sliced bread, with a single slice of cheese between every two pieces. Or maybe, instead of cheese, it's egg salad.
That's what a sandwich is, and, odds are, that's what you'll be served. You'll even get a description in childish English about how happy the animals are to provide you with a modest part of their daily reproductive bounty.
Oddly, I don't think they serve buttermilk in Y.
On the bright side, you won't have paid for a premium cabin. So, it's better than a Wanders box.
Aegean's not bad on those flights, although even they seem to have stopped serving a hot meal in Y.
jamiel and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BubbaX
That's what a sandwich is, and, odds are, that's what you'll be served.
Not that many years ago KL still served lunch in J class on shorthaul flights (these days you will get breakfast for lunch if you are unlucky, a salad if you are slightly less unlucky). In addition to the tray, pax were offered a choice of three different sandwiches. Those sandwiches were not at all bad, and actually being given a choice was as welcome as it was unusual. Longer shorthauls got a hot meal.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Apr 18, 2022 at 6:23 am Reason: Specified cabin class for clarity.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 4:13 am

Nowadays in "long short" Y, you will get a sandwich which is always either Egg, or Cheese. Not seen another kind in ages (AF has salmon in Y which is a lot nicer).

In "short short" you just get a stroopwaffel or a pack of crisps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.