Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Self transfer at AMS (COVID-19)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:31 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I suspect that if you are a UK citizen this plan won't work.
I saw a group of people at AMS immigration today who confirm your hypothesis.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I saw a group of people at AMS immigration today who confirm your hypothesis.
Sent back from where they came?
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:03 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Sent back from where they came?
I didn't have to wait at immigration long enough myself to find out for sure, but there were certainly a number of businessmen and residents who were waiting in the naughty line and the Bali group looked like they weren't going to get to their flight on time no matter whether they were eventually cleared at the Schengen border or not.

As a former pro-European campaigner in the UK I did warn anyone who would listen this would happen, but even so it's sad to see people under so much stress.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by newflyer530
Not exactly the same as OP's scenario but wanted to share my experience from 2 weeks ago.

I was on a KLM ticket AMS-MAD and a separate Aeromexico ticket MAD-MEX. At the AMS Sky Priority check-in desk, the agent said she usually can check my bag through and knows how to do it, but due to COVID and current operations, she'll have to check (not sure if this is some random BS). She then called a number, and came back to tell me she can't check my bag through this time. I needed to claim in MAD and re-check with AM. The excuse (or reason) she gave was given how limited flight options are nowadays due to COVID, it will expose KL to greater liability should IRROPS happen during the journey and that my bag gets delayed/lost/misconnected. I didn't want to waste my time arguing so I obliged. In any case, I could enter MAD and had sufficient time to connect. However, this goes to show just how a stubborn or clueless agent could kill an otherwise "legal" trip.
This is an interesting data point and thank you to have shared it. But I don't think it will apply to OP as it's all KL.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
FINAL UPDATE

So I’m at the Copa Club at PTY now. Had absolutely no issue during check-in. Staff first asked if AMS is my final stop, so I said that no, I have a connection. She checked again and yes, it showed my BHD flight. She tagged both suitcases to my final destination and printer the boarding pass for both flights.

Also, I’m on PTY-AMS I’m in J and AMS-BHD in Y. I had one bag at 25kg, so I was prepared to get question about the Y ticket baggage allowance and having to pay excess baggage (as I did on an earlier flight on the day with CM). I simply asked before putting my bags on the scale how much was my allowance and she said 32kg for all flights. So I didn’t say anything else and checked the bags. No idea why they would put my J baggage allowance on the Y ticket and not the other way round (which would be fairer).
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by AHC96
FINAL UPDATE

So I’m at the Copa Club at PTY now. Had absolutely no issue during check-in. Staff first asked if AMS is my final stop, so I said that no, I have a connection. She checked again and yes, it showed my BHD flight. She tagged both suitcases to my final destination and printer the boarding pass for both flights.

Also, I’m on PTY-AMS I’m in J and AMS-BHD in Y. I had one bag at 25kg, so I was prepared to get question about the Y ticket baggage allowance and having to pay excess baggage (as I did on an earlier flight on the day with CM). I simply asked before putting my bags on the scale how much was my allowance and she said 32kg for all flights. So I didn’t say anything else and checked the bags. No idea why they would put my J baggage allowance on the Y ticket and not the other way round (which would be fairer).
Excellent. I am glad you sorted this out. Have a safe trip
AHC96 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
Originally Posted by AHC96
FINAL UPDATE

Glad to hear! Enjoy your flight
AHC96 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 10:59 am

I need to self transfer (didn't yet book the ticket). Traveling from UK on an EU passport. Should I be able to enter as long as I have my negative PCR test without questioning?
Old Jan 10, 2021, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by James91
I need to self transfer (didn't yet book the ticket). Traveling from UK on an EU passport. Should I be able to enter as long as I have my negative PCR test without questioning?
Traveling to where ? via where ?
But avoid self transfer on separate tickets at all cost in Covid times. OP's (successful) story is not valid for everyone.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Traveling to where ? via where ?
But avoid self transfer on separate tickets at all cost in Covid times. OP's (successful) story is not valid for everyone.
Ireland to Norway. OK. Good to know.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by James91
I need to self transfer (didn't yet book the ticket). Traveling from UK on an EU passport.
You don't need to self transfer; KLM will sell you a single ticket.

Note that there are restrictions in Norway on people having been in the UK in the previous 14 days; you will have to isolate at a quarantine hotel for 10 days. https://www.helsenorge.no/en/coronav...united-kingdom
James91 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: United currently plat
I'm glad I found this thread. I am flying out of AMS on 8/4 on United 2:50pm.

I bought a KLM ticket separately BER-AMS arriving at 10:40am. I'm not expecting to be able to interline, in fact i'd rather not trust KLM to get it to UA etc.

With all the stuff going on at AMS lately I'm now worried about this.. I'm reading that there is a "Transfer Desk" in the AMS baggage hall where I can check in with UA and recheck my bag?? Is this at all true? I'm flying inter-europe so i'm not foreseeing any passport or visa issues.

I could also take a train from Berlin to Schiphol if there are many KLM/AMS issues on or near the day I fly out but its an 8 hour trip, but for now I have the KLM ticket and would have to get IRROPS to have it refunded.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I haven't seen any transfer desk in baggage claim area. Don't know where that came from.

You arrive from Berlin, you take your bag, you walk over to UA checkin desk and check in.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by evol
I'm reading that there is a "Transfer Desk" in the AMS baggage hall where I can check in with UA and recheck my bag?? Is this at all true?
No, there is no transfer desk in the baggage hall (that's more of an American thing, given that all transferring passengers have to clear immigration and customs upon arrival, and then immediately recheck their luggage).

Upon arrival at AMS you have to pick up your luggage and exit with all other arriving passengers, find the UA check-in desks and line up, then line up to get through security; then line-up to get through exit immigration.

Originally Posted by evol
I could also take a train from Berlin to Schiphol if there are many KLM/AMS issues on or near the day I fly out but its an 8 hour trip, but for now I have the KLM ticket and would have to get IRROPS to have it refunded.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
There's a (daily?) UA flight from BER to EWR - maybe you'd be better off switching your UA ticket to depart from BER on this flight? And do an actual transfer in EWR, rather do a self-connect at AMS?

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 15, 2022 at 1:04 am
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
No, there is no transfer desk in the baggage hall (that's more of an American thing, given that all transferring passengers have to clear immigration and customs upon arrival, and then immediately recheck their luggage).

Upon arrival at AMS you have to pick up your luggage and exit with all other arriving passengers, find the UA check-in desks and line up, then line up to get through security; then line-up to get through exit immigration.

There's a (daily?) UA flight from BER to EWR - maybe you'd be better off switching your UA ticket to depart from BER on this flight? And do an actual transfer in EWR, rather do a self-connect at AMS?
Yes i’ve investigated leaving from Berlin on UA/star alliance but the fare is at least $500 higher.. I found a great RT fare in Polaris via AMS and if i break the city pair it’s a penalty apparently. So i’m stuck getting myself to AMS.

Hopefully things might be smoother by then but we’ll see! Thanks for the notes

By the way Fabo.sk , the reference to "transfer desk" is on https://www.schiphol.nl/en/transfers/ so thatʻs why I was asking, and where i got it from.

Last edited by evol; Jun 15, 2022 at 2:53 pm Reason: found reference to "transfer desk"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.