Check-in Upgrade Luggage Allowance

Old Dec 31, 2020, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Check-in Upgrade Luggage Allowance

Hi all,

I'm being offered an attractive upgrade on a long haul flight and am considering it but want to understand the implications for my luggage allowance. According to the KLM website I would get the business class luggage allowance, however:
1. I already paid for an extra (2nd) bag on my Economy class ticket. So would my luggage allowance increase to 3, all at 32 KG, if I get the upgrade?
2. I am connecting to the long haul flight from an intra-Europe flight. If I upgrade the long haul will the increased luggage allowance also carry over to my feeder flight?

I hope this hasn't been covered elsewhere. I tried searching with little success.

Thanks,
TUF
Old Dec 31, 2020, 5:11 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I've been told at AMS that day of upgrades don't get the extra baggage.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
1)

No, your luggage allowance will not increase in that manner, so do not make the mistake of assuming you can now check a third bag without being hit with an even higher fee for that third bag. Business class only ever comes with two free baggage items; you will have to pay for any third. Bear in mind that the fee for a chargeable third bag is likely far higher than the fee you paid for a 2nd bag in Economy, so you are likely to be required to pay considerably more money again, should you now wish to check a third bag.

It is not clear that you would be due a refund for the extra baggage fee already paid if you buy this upgrade and travel only with 2 bags; it is likely that the airline will say that this fee has already been factored in to the upgrade offer you received.

2)

No, if taking an upgrade offer at checkin for only part of the journey, the increased luggage allowance would only count for the upgraded leg and not for any feeder flights either before or after the upgraded sector, and neither would you have any increased baggage limit on any return/further sectors on the ticket that have yet to be flown.

My advice - do not bring a third bag just because you are considering taking an upgrade offer.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 3:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by irishguy28

No, if taking an upgrade offer at checkin for only part of the journey, the increased luggage allowance would only count for the upgraded leg and not for any feeder flights either before or after the upgraded sector, and neither would you have any increased baggage limit on any return/further sectors on the ticket that have yet to be flown.
That's a very useful info thanks, meaning it's much before to buy upgrades in advance, cash/miles, because the luggage allowance on the long haul sector applies to all legs then.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
As an update, I flew yesterday and while it sounds like I may have gotten lucky I did get a third bag for my allowance by just buying the upgrade. However, I did have to buy the upgrade for both legs of the trip.
YYCCL3 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.