KLM TravelDoc vs IATA Timatic (Canada)

Old Dec 29, 20, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
KLM TravelDoc vs IATA Timatic (Canada)

Hi,

I’ll be flying with KLM to Canada. I know I’m allowed to enter Canada under the current restrictions as I have a work permit. However, on TravelDoc this isn’t listed as one of the exemptions for some reason while it is listed (albeit indirectly by referencing a Canadian government document) on the IATA Timatic service. Would anyone know why this is and should I expect to have a hard time convincing the check-in agents I’m eligible to fly? Anyone have any ideas on what I can bring to prove that I am eligible, would a print-out of the relevant government website pages help?

TUF
Old Dec 29, 20, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
No one knows. If a GA is going to give you a hard time, you will not be allowed to board no matter what you have.

FWIW - if you have all the papers in order (which you have per the Government of Canada), don't worry too much until the GA will be inclined to IDB you.
Old Dec 29, 20, 3:10 am

Since the lockdown .. my friend went to canada at least 4 times only with a work permit .. he never had a hard time ...but pcr or not 14 days home
theultimateflyer likes this.
Old Dec 29, 20, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wil973 View Post
Since the lockdown .. my friend went to canada at least 4 times only with a work permit .. he never had a hard time ...but pcr or not 14 days home
thanks, that’s reassuring! My biggest concern is I’ll by flying from an outstation with no direct flights to Canada so perhaps less experience with the technicalities. But hopefully all will be well!
Old Dec 29, 20, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
No one knows. If a GA is going to give you a hard time, you will not be allowed to board no matter what you have.

FWIW - if you have all the papers in order (which you have per the Government of Canada), don't worry too much until the GA will be inclined to IDB you.
fair enough. To clarify in the worst case scenario I get IDB’d but they’re wrong (as they would be) I would get EU261 compensation right?
Old Dec 29, 20, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by theultimateflyer View Post
fair enough. To clarify in the worst case scenario I get IDB’d but they’re wrong (as they would be) I would get EU261 compensation right?
Yes. If they are "unreasonably" wrong. But, that is something far, far, far off in the future as it won't get paid without a lengthy & drawn out fight.

Note that "unreasonably" might well be satisfied if the databases commonly relied upon around the world are not clear.

A short way of saying that you should not plan on receiving this and if you do, it will be at some point in the future.
theultimateflyer likes this.
Old Dec 29, 20, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Yes. If they are "unreasonably" wrong. But, that is something far, far, far off in the future as it won't get paid without a lengthy & drawn out fight.

Note that "unreasonably" might well be satisfied if the databases commonly relied upon around the world are not clear.

A short way of saying that you should not plan on receiving this and if you do, it will be at some point in the future.
fair enough. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.
Old Dec 29, 20, 8:35 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
However it would allow for free rebooking in that case. While being IDB'ed when you actually do not hold the right papers would likely void your ticket.
Old Dec 29, 20, 8:47 am

Programs: FB Platinum
I've flown to Canada multiple times in the last months. You have to show your work permit before boarding the plane and again at arrival in Canada, but other than I've experienced no issues entering. Just prepare to answer some questions regarding your quarantaine, employer, job etc. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Old Dec 29, 20, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you can, print and carry official documents from the government of Canada showing that your work permit (that I assume proves that you're a Canadian resident???) is sufficient for entry. Try showing these if an airline employee gives you trouble. I'd also bring documents that show where you will be staying if possible.

Don't forget that AMS transit now requires a COVID-19 test.
Old Dec 29, 20, 9:27 am

Traveldoc is a competing service to IATA‘s Timatic, which can be incomplete and seems less accurate than Timatic. However, Traveldoc is cheaper for the airlines, which is why KLM prefers it over Timatic.

I‘d advise you to carry print-outs of official websites that show you‘re OK to travel with the documents you hold. In case of problems at check-in it might help to ask for a supervisor. Airlines usually have a central service at headquarters that answers questions on pax with unclear or non-standard documentation from outstations, and that has direct access to a 24/7 contact at the immigration authorities of major destination countries for the most ‚complicated‘ cases. I would expect the Canadian authorities to have such an airline liaison service, too (but hopefully your case wouldn’t even go this far).
Old Dec 31, 20, 2:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
For your information, you will maybe have to present a negative pcr test to board your flight to canada depending when you are flying back.
It has been announced yesterday and largely discussed here

But if you’re in montreal at the moment, you probably have heard of it
Old Dec 31, 20, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadavid View Post
For your information, you will maybe have to present a negative pcr test to board your flight to canada depending when you are flying back.
It has been announced yesterday and largely discussed here

But if you’re in montreal at the moment, you probably have heard of it
thanks for sharing this. I did see it and am flying tomorrow so not confident it’ll be in place by then. Regardless as I’m transiting AMS I do have a PCR result anyways so should be fine either way.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: