Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

[2020] Negative PCR-Test Now Required for Transit in NL from Dec 29

Old Dec 25, 2020, 6:26 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry
Original Poster

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/messages/coronavirus-update

Are you travelling to Schiphol from abroad and are you 13 years or older? Then, with effect from 00:01 on 29 December 2020, you are required to show your airline a declaration that you tested negative for COVID-19. The declaration must be brought with you throughout your entire journey. This can also be done digitally. Your negative test declaration may be checked when you arrive at Schiphol. This obligation applies to all passengers flying to Schiphol, transfers included. This is also mandatory for Dutch citizens.
This will disrupt plans for many travelers. I have a flight booked for 30 December and was surprised not to hear from KLM regarding this.

The requirement is for all countries, not just the UK.
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by danielflyer; Dec 25, 2020 at 7:08 am
Old Dec 25, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: FB:Plat ALL:Plat
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
https://www.schiphol.nl/en/messages/coronavirus-update

This will disrupt plans for many travelers. I have a flight booked for 30 December and was surprised not to hear from KLM regarding this.
new from yesterday.
i have a flight tomorrow and its displayed once checked in..
Old Dec 25, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
This is already discussed at length in Self-quarantine in netherlands
danielflyer likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 7:54 am

If this rule stays for long it will kill KLM, sadly.
Dominikkk and JorgeGomez like this.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 8:44 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne
This is already discussed at length in Self-quarantine in netherlands
This is great but it has nothing to do with self-quarantine. KLM hasnt shared this news with transit passengers yet and I think given how hard it will be for most people to find a last-minute rapid PCR test, this needs its own thread title.

Or maybe mods could change the thread title and delete this? I see a lot more information in your thread.

Last edited by danielflyer; Dec 25, 2020 at 8:56 am
Old Dec 25, 2020, 4:21 pm

Ive got a return flight on Jan 3 and I wont be able to do a test.

Can I ask Delta/KLM to route me differently, to avoid Amsterdam?
Old Dec 25, 2020, 4:56 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smartytravel
Ive got a return flight on Jan 3 and I wont be able to do a test.

Can I ask Delta/KLM to route me differently, to avoid Amsterdam?
KLM offers a change flight page via My Trips. You could potentially reroute via Paris on AF just check restrictions in France first.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 5:07 pm

KLM offers a change flight page via My Trips. You could potentially reroute via Paris on AF just check restrictions in France first.
I think France also requires that.

When I was buying my ticket, I specifically chose Delta/KLM because they didnt have those nonsensical requirements.

The change flight is free of charge, and no extra fees?
Old Dec 25, 2020, 6:24 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smartytravel
I think France also requires that.

When I was buying my ticket, I specifically chose Delta/KLM because they didnt have those nonsensical requirements.

The change flight is free of charge, and no extra fees?
Youll have to check and see. In my case the fee was 0-10 .
Old Dec 25, 2020, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by criced
If this rule stays for long it will kill KLM, sadly.
The trend is to ask for a test before boarding a flight. With the spread of the new strains that are much more transmissible, my bet is that it will quickly generalize to all major airlines
A large number of countries are now making a pre-departure test request.
The type of test will not be harmonized, enforcement will not be systematic, but it will be required.
A very few countries might resist to attract tourists, but major airlines with a transit hub need to institute uniform rules for their hub.
With the disparity and strengthening of test requirement of all destinations, a rather strict transit requirement is to be expected.
Frankly, it is too much to ask outstations agent (often third parties) to check the updated requirement for each final destination to allow transit in the hub.
Another argument is that mixing tested and tested pax n the plane and at the airport is "dangerous". Some airports can segregate arriving pax and transit pax (e.g. SIN or HKG), but that cannot be done at most airports.

If longhaul travel is to pick up from its near-zero current level, systematic testing before flying is one of the must, whatever the EU says . EU bureaucrats seem to live in another unreal world and should not be surprised that their "recommendations" (eg. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/def...rs-12-2020.pdf) are not followed by most member states.

Apologies for ranting.
mpkz likes this.

Last edited by brunos; Dec 25, 2020 at 6:41 pm
Old Dec 25, 2020, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
If longhaul travel is to pick up from its near-zero current level, systematic testing before flying is one of the must, whatever the EU says . EU bureaucrats seem to live in another unreal world and should not be surprised that their "recommendations" (eg. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/def...rs-12-2020.pdf) are not followed by most member states.

Apologies for ranting.
lm not sure why youre ranting about EU bureaucrats and their recommendations in this context. Its the various governments (NL is the latest example) that ignore sensible advice and impose uncoordinated testing requirements, simply to be seen to be doing something against COVID-19. Incidentally, Pan-American bureaucrats (to use your terminology for the health experts of the PAHO) have issued very similar advice:

conducting or requiring COVID- 19-related testing of prospective or incoming international travellers is not recommended as a tool to mitigate the risk of international spread

https://www.paho.org/en/file/79618/d...token=HiUBdv2k

The current behaviour of governments is strikingly similar to the security theatre that is hardly questioned anymore (shoes and liquids...). Its not based on sound evidence or scientific advice.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 11:16 pm

I can't find any information from AF about that
Old Dec 26, 2020, 5:01 am

Programs: FB plat, M&M FT
It was nice flying with you, KLM, you'll forever stay in my heart and will be greatly missed.

(not that the idea of asking for a test itself is dumb, but I really doubt there are enough testing facilities for a reasonable price worldwide for such a measure to be rolled out)
Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by europeflyer
l‘m not sure why you‘re ranting about „EU bureaucrats“ and their recommendations in this context. It‘s the various governments (NL is the latest example) that ignore sensible advice and impose uncoordinated testing requirements, simply to be seen to be doing something against COVID-19. Incidentally, „Pan-American bureaucrats“ (to use your terminology for the health experts of the PAHO) have issued very similar advice:

“conducting or requiring COVID- 19-related testing of prospective or incoming international travellers is not recommended as a tool to mitigate the risk of international spread“

https://www.paho.org/en/file/79618/d...token=HiUBdv2k

The current behaviour of governments is strikingly similar to the ‚security theatre‘ that is hardly questioned anymore (shoes and liquids...). It‘s not based on sound evidence or scientific advice.
I respectfully but totally disagree with you.

Of course, we have personal biases due, in part, to where we are based. And the experience in Asia is quite different from Europe.
I have no experience of current intra-European travel and focus on longhaul (I have flown Eu-Asia several times in 2020).

The airline industry is pushing hard for systematic 100% testing pre-departure. See for example a talk 3 months ago by De Juniac:
https://www.iata.org/en/pressroom/sp...2020-09-22-01/
Many countries outside of Europe are already requesting it and that seems to be the way US-UK ( and then EU) air travel can pick up.
But EU bureaucrats (and I guess some other bureaucratic organizations affiliated with WHO) have a very different opinion. Maybe the EU is primarily concerned with keeping the within-EU borders open.

Let's not get into a sterile discussion as to whether governments like NL do crazy things by not following "sensible" advice, or whether it is the advice that is not sensible.

The reality is that so many countries are imposing pre-departure tests that it will become a necessary (if not sufficient) condition for longhaul travel to resume. And longhaul often requires transit.
Imposing a pre-departure test for all passengers, even in transit will become the norm. The patchwork of test requirements of different countries put enormous constraints on airlines plus some loopholes, and can only be harmonized by systematic testing. Another alternative might be to strictly segregate transit pax from other pax, as done at several Asian airports. But that would not be feasible at many airports.

I understand that it can creates problems intra Europe, where some countries do not require a pre-departure test. And land travel might make stricter air measures a bit bizarre.
But with longhaul travel, there is no "land travel" alternative. Personally, I would feel much safer if I mix at airports only with pax having been tested.

BTW: Remember that even if the vaccine is 100% efficient, vaccinated people can get reinfected and infectious, although they do not develop symptoms/disease thanks to their immunity.
Xandrios, mpkz and fifty_two like this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by brunos
BTW: Remember that even if the vaccine is 100% efficient, vaccinated people can get reinfected and infectious, although they do not develop symptoms/disease thanks to their immunity.
Do you think they will be blackmailing people into the vaccine at some point in the future?

If so, this would be a significant hit in passenger numbers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.