FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Pillows on KLM flights to Brazil? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2028578-pillows-klm-flights-brazil.html)

mfkne Nov 14, 2020 4:47 am

Pillows on KLM flights to Brazil?

There were reports of some US airlines not providing or permitting any pillows on flights to Brazil. From what I understood this was due to legal requirements from the Brazilian health authorities to curb the spread of Covid, but it also appeared that there wasn't an outright ban, rather the airlines were just not wanting to pay for proper disinfection and therefore just forbade them on the plane.

Does anyone have first-hand experience what the situation is right now, are pillows provided, particularly in business class?

johan rebel Nov 14, 2020 10:57 am

Originally Posted by mfkne (Post 32819098)
legal requirements from the Brazilian health authorities to curb the spread of Covid

How reassuring to learn that the Brazilian authorities have got their priorities right!

Johan

HalconBCN Nov 14, 2020 2:07 pm

A relative recently flew over from Brazil with KLM (in Y, empty flights) and said service was normal. A lack of pillows would have been noticed.

IstKong Nov 14, 2020 3:12 pm

Flew CDG-GRU in early September with AF and had a pillow.

Flew back GIG-AMS in mid-September with KLM and had plenty of pillows on this empty flight.

Both in economy.

If it's really a Brazilian government rule, it's not enforced (at least by AF-KLM).

arjen05 Nov 15, 2020 4:41 am

Originally Posted by HalconBCN (Post 32819822)
A relative recently flew over from Brazil with KLM (in Y, empty flights) and said service was normal. A lack of pillows would have been noticed.

This would be remarkable though, since KL has removed all pillows from long haul Y globally since July. They have stored some in the front which are available upon request, but on the seats you’ll only find blankets since a while.

IstKong Nov 15, 2020 5:44 am

Originally Posted by arjen05 (Post 32820843)
This would be remarkable though, since KL has removed all pillows from long haul Y globally since July. They have stored some in the front which are available upon request, but on the seats you’ll only find blankets since a while.

Correct. KLM GIG-AMS, completely empty flight (like 25 PAX on a 787-9), pillow were on the overhead compartment and the flight attendant gave them to the few passengers before take off :tu:

gopher99 Nov 15, 2020 6:01 am

I have flown 3 times since September to Brazil via São Paulo and direct to Rio from Amsterdam , on every flight there were no pillows put out on the seats. You had to ask for them​​​​​, understandably the planes have been very empty compared to normal. It’s anyone’s guess when they will return to a normal schedule, but i have enjoyed laying out over 4 seats and having a good 10 hour sleep overnight.

johan rebel Nov 15, 2020 10:48 am

Originally Posted by gopher99 (Post 32820920)
there were no pillows put out on the seats. You had to ask for them.

The idea being to minimize pax-crew interaction, right?

Johan

Yolow Nov 15, 2020 5:33 pm

I flew KL0791 AMS-GRU in J on mid September, pillow and blanket were available on my seat without asking the crew (did not check in economy).
I am pretty surprised about the BR health authority requirements, as you still do not need a negative COVID test to enter the country.

gopher99 Nov 16, 2020 3:44 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 32821367)
The idea being to minimize pax-crew interaction, right?

Johan

Yes, just like the snacks being brought to you in a plastic bag and put on your seat. Makes perfect sense in these difficult times, it feels very strange because normally the crew like to interact with passengers for a short chat sometimes. Now the message is for people not to go to the galley and congregate, and also not to even queue for the toilet.

johan rebel Nov 16, 2020 11:03 am

Originally Posted by gopher99 (Post 32822769)
Yes, just like the snacks being brought to you in a plastic bag and put on your seat. Makes perfect sense in these difficult times, it feels very strange because normally the crew like to interact with passengers for a short chat sometimes. Now the message is for people not to go to the galley and congregate, and also not to even queue for the toilet.

So if they can place snacks on your seat, why not a pillow?

Having to find an FA, ask for a pillow, and then having it brought and handed to you doesn't exactly strike me as a smart way of keeping interactions to a minimum.

Johan

splflyer Nov 16, 2020 11:34 am

@ Johan; its not about the contact its about the cleaning proces which is only done in Amsterdam.Resulting in limitations . off course there is also a price tag. IN C class there are always plenty off pillows as was on my KLM flight from Delhi the other day.
Pillows are on request in economy as resulting to the above mentioned , the ones used on outbound flight can not be used anymore on return flight but will have to go back to AMS for cleaning . This is reality in hygiene 2020 . Just ask a flight attendant and they happy to bring you a pillow certainly with your status. On most flights crew with low loads crew seem to initiate it themselves . Not sure if you would see that on TAP/Iberia.

On a different note the snacks are not placed on your seats but offered during the flight . Safe travels

fly747first Nov 16, 2020 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by splflyer (Post 32823613)
Not sure if you would see that on TAP/Iberia.

Probably not... IB and TP are now greeting their passengers as if they all had the plague. In J though, they do tend to have pillows ready at each seat.

johan rebel Nov 17, 2020 11:07 am

Originally Posted by splflyer (Post 32823613)
the ones used on outbound flight can not be used anymore on return flight but will have to go back to AMS for cleaning.

Are you saying that pax on flights inbound to AMS previously were given used pillows? Yuck and yikes!

Johan

fly747first Nov 17, 2020 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 32826074)
Are you saying that pax on flights inbound to AMS previously were given used pillows? Yuck and yikes!

Johan

I think the OP meant the pillows are sent back to AMS for cleaning, but these weren't given to the passengers on the return flight