Self-quarantine in netherlands

Old Nov 7, 20, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF-KL FB Platinum; BAEC Bronze
Self-quarantine in netherlands

as reported on the Government website https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...elf-quarantine "Travellers arriving in the Netherlands from certain countries and regions should self-quarantine for 10 days. Even if you do not have any symptoms or if you have tested negative for COVID-19. Once in the Netherlands, you can self-quarantine at home or in temporary or holiday accommodation."

I'm coming from Italy. I will meet a colleague at AMS airport (land side, check-in area) and I will leave to Italy after 4/5 hours.
Do you think that will be possible for me do this trip? Or I have to declare to someone upon my arrival the exact place where I will do quarantine ext?
On the advise, there is written "should" instead of "must/have to"...so in my opinion is not mandatory....or am I wrong?

I've also see that is written
"Some travellers are not required to self-quarantine when they arrive in the Netherlands. For example:
  • if you have been travelling by car and you do not leave the car in a country or region to which self-quarantine advice applies. This is explained in the travel advisory. It means that you have not stopped even for fuel.
  • if you change planes without leaving the airport."
Actually, I will not leave the airport...but I don't know if they mean that I cannot leave the airside area or with "airport" they mean both airside and landside area... that's not really clear.

Someone that recently had a similar experience? thanks in advance!

Last edited by AZ112; Nov 7, 20 at 5:09 am
Old Nov 7, 20, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
My understanding is that the advice is advisory, as it is not enforceable by law. Just as the Dutch Government has asked all citizens not to leave the country until mid-January, but has not actually done anything to prevent people from making those trips.

The "transfer" exception does not apply to you. Passengers are allowed to change planes in AMS without having to go into self-isolation in the Netherlands (but note that, for having transferred in AMS, many countries will then put the requirement on self-isolation on that passenger when they arrive at that final destination, even if travelling from their origin directly would not have required self-isolation).

Your intention is to physically enter the country, and to meet someone. Only you can decide if the purpose of that meeting is essential and cannot be performed in some other way (phonecall, video call, couriered documents, etc)

Note that, having arrived in Italy from the Netherlands - even if only a "transfer", i.e. changing planes at the airport - you will need to provide a negative test taken within 72 hours of arrival back in Italy, or else be tested upon arrival.

https://www.esteri.it/mae/en/ministe...in-italia.html

It may be advisable to postpone this trip unless it is of vital importance.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 7, 20, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
My understanding is that the advice is advisory, as it is not enforceable by law. Just as the Dutch Government has asked all citizens not to leave the country until mid-January, but has not actually done anything to prevent people from making those trips.

The "transfer" exception does not apply to you. Passengers are allowed to change planes in AMS without having to go into self-isolation in the Netherlands (but note that, for having transferred in AMS, many countries will then put the requirement on self-isolation on that passenger when they arrive at that final destination, even if travelling from their origin directly would not have required self-isolation).

Your intention is to physically enter the country, and to meet someone. Only you can decide if the purpose of that meeting is essential and cannot be performed in some other way (phonecall, video call, couriered documents, etc)

Note that, having arrived in Italy from the Netherlands - even if only a "transfer", i.e. changing planes at the airport - you will need to provide a negative test taken within 72 hours of arrival back in Italy, or else be tested upon arrival.

https://www.esteri.it/mae/en/ministe...in-italia.html

It may be advisable to postpone this trip unless it is of vital importance.
thank you Irishguy
Meeting is "essential", I've to transport a cat (so I can't do a videocall) and, if I can, I would like to transport it asap as I don't know when all this stuff will end.
I'm aware of covid test upon arrival in Italy (I've scheduled a flight that let me test me when covid test area at the airport is open).

The only problem is actually if I can do that for dutch government. But, If I've understood well your message, I can do that with no problem.
Old Nov 7, 20, 5:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Iberia Silver
Nobody in Schiphol airport is checking your details. You can legally leave the airport with your cat, no problem.
In September they did have covid tests for pax arriving from high risk countries but they have stopped doing that. The arrival experience nowadays is exactly the same as it was pre-covid.
Schiphol airport does not have any of the theatrics of enforcement (temperature checks, locator forms) that I experience every time I land in BCN.
AZ112 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 20, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HalconBCN View Post
Nobody in Schiphol airport is checking your details. You can legally leave the airport with your cat, no problem.
In September they did have covid tests for pax arriving from high risk countries but they have stopped doing that. The arrival experience nowadays is exactly the same as it was pre-covid.
Schiphol airport does not have any of the theatrics of enforcement (temperature checks, locator forms) that I experience every time I land in BCN.
Thank you HalconBCN for your point! Now I'm more secure!
I've also a trip to Spain very soon, MAD and IBZ.. hoping that there will be no issue. (in this case, I'll be without a cat, only me, myself and I )
Old Nov 7, 20, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by AZ112 View Post
thank you Irishguy
Meeting is "essential", I've to transport a cat (so I can't do a videocall) and, if I can, I would like to transport it asap as I don't know when all this stuff will end.
I'm aware of covid test upon arrival in Italy (I've scheduled a flight that let me test me when covid test area at the airport is open).

The only problem is actually if I can do that for dutch government. But, If I've understood well your message, I can do that with no problem.
While there is no doubt you can't transport a cat through a video call, is your travel really "essential"? Can the pet not be "couriered" to their destination in the Netherlands?
Old Nov 7, 20, 8:30 am

Thank you HalconBCN for your point! Now I'm more secure!
I've also a trip to Spain very soon, MAD and IBZ.. hoping that there will be no issue. (in this case, I'll be without a cat, only me, myself and I )
Yes, you and your cat will be fine!
As for Spain, it's also fine, just count on having to spend a few extra minutes waiting in line to have your temperature checked. You don't need a QR code, you can fill in the covid check form at the airport.
Old Nov 7, 20, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
There seems to be a special zone at Schipol for flights to Italy. I took this picture yesterday (it is on the way to Concourse B). The sign on the right talks about temperature check, but I have trouble to believe this zone is arranged only for that. Maybe they are performing quick antigenic tests ?

Old Nov 7, 20, 9:06 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
There seems to be a special zone at Schipol for flights to Italy. I took this picture yesterday (it is on the way to Concourse B). The sign on the right talks about temperature check, but I have trouble to believe this zone is arranged only for that. Maybe they are performing quick antigenic tests ?

If there's more than 1 pax going to Italy, do they have to fight over who gets to wear that mask on the right?
johan rebel and Goldorak like this.
Old Nov 7, 20, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Thank you Goldorak ... can you confirm, as you said, that this check is only for departures flights and not for arrival flights?
Hoping that some other can point out something about these procedures...
Old Nov 7, 20, 10:57 am

Thank you Goldorak ... can you confirm, as you said, that this check is only for departures flights and not for arrival flights?
This is for departing flights. I flew to VCE in July and had to fill out the screening form before boarding the plane. No such screening on the way back.
AZ112 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 20, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
For sure it is for departure.
AZ112 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 20, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Just flew back AMS-MXP, and I give a point about the discussion!
There were no check once landed in AMS from my flight from CDG... all was the same of the "pre-covid era";
AMS-MXP: at gate B0, the personnel has only checked my temperature and asked to fill a form were I declare that I have not any symptoms of Covid. Once fullfilled, they told me the "correct" gate of my flight.
Everything was very fast, clear and with no issue of any sort.
Thank you all folks!
Old Nov 16, 20, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
My understanding is that the advice is advisory, as it is not enforceable by law.
Is this right? I was told that if I wanted to go to AMS for a meeting, I'd need to isolate for 10 days before I could attend the meeting but like everything, it does appear to have been advisory and not legally mandated.

I wonder if I could head over for a meeting next week, do what I need, then leave (within 48 hours) and it be all okay (on the Dutch side)?
Old Nov 16, 20, 8:29 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
From https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...e-netherlands:
If you do travel to the Netherlands, you are strongly advised to self-quarantine for 10 days.

In a weird, but probably typically Dutch way, if you speak Dutch there's no sign of advice at
https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwe...-in-nederland:

Dan blijft u 10 dagen thuis als u weer in Nederland bent (in thuisquarantaine)

Translation: "Then you'll stay at home for 10 days when you're back in the Netherlands".

Search this Thread
Search Engine: