Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Self-quarantine in netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2020, 7:43 am

It's pretty simple, the current laws in NL doesn't allow the government to force someone into quarantine, hence it is an 'advise'.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by HeyUpDuck
Is this right? I was told that if I wanted to go to AMS for a meeting, I'd need to isolate for 10 days before I could attend the meeting but like everything, it does appear to have been advisory and not legally mandated.

I wonder if I could head over for a meeting next week, do what I need, then leave (within 48 hours) and it be all okay (on the Dutch side)?
Do not travel unless it is absolutely essential. Even then, you MUST self-isolate upon arrival.

Do yourself a favour and meet online.
DrLudwig likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Do not travel unless it is absolutely essential. Even then, you MUST self-isolate upon arrival.
Why?

Johan
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold • LH Senator • BA Silver • ITA Premium
Is this right? I was told that if I wanted to go to AMS for a meeting, I'd need to isolate for 10 days before I could attend the meeting but like everything, it does appear to have been advisory and not legally mandated.

I wonder if I could head over for a meeting next week, do what I need, then leave (within 48 hours) and it be all okay (on the Dutch side)?
at post #13 you can see my experience of 2 days ago at AMS there is not any sort of healty check once landed.
Originally Posted by irishguy28

Do yourself a favour and meet online.

That's not true...I've sent an email to Italian embassy in Den Haag, and they told me that the quarantine in Netherland is not mandatory, although strongly suggested.
HeyUpDuck likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold

It is true that the self isolation is indeed not compulsory by law - only "strongly advised" by the government. There are no checks, no fines, nothing if you decide not to self isolate.

That said, many companies have strict corona policies banning people from visiting offices or attending real time meetings. If your meeting is with an individual who is fine with you not self isolating, no problem at all. But if its a corporate trip/visit to a governmental office/educational/NGO etc, you better check their guidelines and rules. They could well be more strict and firm than the government "advice".
Old Nov 17, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
That said, many companies have strict corona policies banning people from visiting offices or attending real time meetings. If your meeting is with an individual who is fine with you not self isolating, no problem at all. But if its a corporate trip/visit to a governmental office/educational/NGO etc, you better check their guidelines and rules. They could well be more strict and firm than the government "advice".
This is exactly been my experience recently when visiting NL from abroad (within the kingdom). For many clients I’m visiting it is socially unacceptable to travel internationally, sometimes enforced by company guidelines, sometimes by the way they look at you 😀 Even though I’m getting tested every time in between travelling, more and more companies are avoiding in person meetings (at all or for travelers).
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by arjen05
This is exactly been my experience recently when visiting NL from abroad (within the kingdom). For many clients I’m visiting it is socially unacceptable to travel internationally, sometimes enforced by company guidelines, sometimes by the way they look at you 😀 Even though I’m getting tested every time in between travelling, more and more companies are avoiding in person meetings (at all or for travelers).
Irrespective of travel, the government guidelines are "work from home unless no other way", I have some friends who haven't been to an office since around March because the company decided to shut down the office, and even some companies who have started to return to the office have shut down again end of September when the guidelines were changed.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 3:00 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Ditto
Irrespective of travel, the government guidelines are "work from home unless no other way", I have some friends who haven't been to an office since around March because the company decided to shut down the office, and even some companies who have started to return to the office have shut down again end of September when the guidelines were changed.
I've only been to the office twice this year, of that only once to work, the other time just to pick up some stuff.

I don't expect that to change any soon. Travel is completely dead, by the way, too. A client has been trying to make our top management to make an exception, no luck.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 3:38 am

I'm in a role that can be done 99% remotely but my preference would still be to go to the office, which I have done until end of September.
Sadly I agree that this isn't likely to change anytime soon, and with people not going to the office there is very little point in traveling as well.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guidelines issued today by the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control.

"Scientific evidence and information, presented and analysed in this document, give rise to the following key considerations: 

- In the current epidemiological situation, where SARS-CoV-2 is established in all EU/EEA countries and the UK, imported cases account for a very small proportion of all detected cases and are unlikely to significantly increase the rate of transmission. 

- The prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 in travellers is estimated likely to be lower than the prevalence in the general population or among contacts of confirmed cases. 

- Travellers should not be considered as a high-risk population, nor treated as contacts of COVID-19 cases, unless they had been in known contact with a confirmed positive case. 

- Travellers should be subject to the same regulations or recommendations as applied to the local population. 

- Member States should always admit their own nationals and EU citizens and their family members resident in their territory, and should facilitate swift transit through their territories.

Decision makers are invited to consider the detailed epidemiological evidence that supports the options presented in this document acknowledging that: 

- In the current epidemiological situation, quarantine or systematic testing for SARS-CoV-2 of air travellers is not recommended. 

- Harmonisation among Member States is recommended based on the specific measures presented in this document.
"

In other words, cut out the crap and stop making up and implementing silly rules.

I'm confident that the politicians and their expert hangers-on will display their usual pig-headed perserverance and inability to admit their mistakes and therefore refuse to back down. Why drop the sledgehammer when you can keep on whacking the economy?

Johan
Old Dec 3, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
I have a flight and transit in AMS next week but I haven't been able to get a clear answer from KLM, the Dutch embassy and the hotel. I arrive on Friday and my next flight is on Saturday, so I plan to stay at an airport hotel. The flights (DUB-AMS then AMS-PTY) are on two separate bookings so I will have to go out, pick up my bags and check in the next morning.

KLM said there will be no issue, as long as I complete the declaration form before arriving. The Dutch embassy said I should stay at a airside airport hotel so I qualify for the no-quarantine rule. The hotel itself has not commented on my booking.

Anyone had a similar experience recently?
Old Dec 4, 2020, 1:22 am

I don't have a similar experience, but you will have no issue doing what you plan on doing, quarantine in NL is "strongly advised" and not enforced in any way.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by AHC96
I have a flight and transit in AMS next week but I haven't been able to get a clear answer from KLM, the Dutch embassy and the hotel. I arrive on Friday and my next flight is on Saturday, so I plan to stay at an airport hotel. The flights (DUB-AMS then AMS-PTY) are on two separate bookings so I will have to go out, pick up my bags and check in the next morning.

KLM said there will be no issue, as long as I complete the declaration form before arriving. The Dutch embassy said I should stay at a airside airport hotel so I qualify for the no-quarantine rule. The hotel itself has not commented on my booking.

Anyone had a similar experience recently?
While I wasn't able to make the trip I wanted, a colleague popped over, did business for the day, stayed the night at a hotel in AMS and then flew back without any questions on the Dutch side. Zero enforcement of anything.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Guidelines issued today by the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control.

"Scientific evidence and information, presented and analysed in this document, give rise to the following key considerations: 

- In the current epidemiological situation, where SARS-CoV-2 is established in all EU/EEA countries and the UK, imported cases account for a very small proportion of all detected cases and are unlikely to significantly increase the rate of transmission. 

- The prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 in travellers is estimated likely to be lower than the prevalence in the general population or among contacts of confirmed cases. 

- Travellers should not be considered as a high-risk population, nor treated as contacts of COVID-19 cases, unless they had been in known contact with a confirmed positive case. 

- Travellers should be subject to the same regulations or recommendations as applied to the local population. 

- Member States should always admit their own nationals and EU citizens and their family members resident in their territory, and should facilitate swift transit through their territories.

Decision makers are invited to consider the detailed epidemiological evidence that supports the options presented in this document acknowledging that: 

- In the current epidemiological situation, quarantine or systematic testing for SARS-CoV-2 of air travellers is not recommended. 

- Harmonisation among Member States is recommended based on the specific measures presented in this document.
"

In other words, cut out the crap and stop making up and implementing silly rules.

I'm confident that the politicians and their expert hangers-on will display their usual pig-headed perserverance and inability to admit their mistakes and therefore refuse to back down. Why drop the sledgehammer when you can keep on whacking the economy?

Johan
And the Dutch government have just decided to make things worse and require a negative PCR test from certain categories of travellers (good luck figuring out who doesn't fall under an exception and yet still allowed to enter)
https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwe...testverklaring
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Sort of applies, and of course who knows what will change by late April, but we're scheduled to have a 9 hour layover in AMS returning to the US from a humanitarian trip to India. What are the odds we'd be able to leave the airport for a few hours downtown?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.