1H05 connecting in AMS

Old Oct 13, 2020, 4:35 am
Original Poster

1H05 connecting in AMS

Hello All,

I apologize if there's a thread regarding this, I searched and couldn't find anything (I'm admitedly a bad searcher).
What do you think of a CDG > AMS > IAD with only 1H05 to connect in AMS?
First flight on AF metal, second on KLM.

I wouldn't dream of it in normal times, but with Covid, I'm not quite sure how busy is AMS and if it makes it possible.

What do you guys think?
Thanks,
Ben.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 4:54 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
hmm, i would say in a normal time it will be risky , but now it's technically possible , however i would not book it for reasons i will explain later

i think with covid you can make it if first CDG-AMS flight is not delayed , the passport control is almost empty nowadays but you will have to run .

Your main problem is that you are flying to the USA . Does gate close 15 min prior to departure for US flights ? Is there any precheck as it used to be at gate D1 for DL flights ? What if you are tagged SSSS ??? Do you have a us passport or green card ???

I would recommend at least 90 mins between both flights
Old Oct 13, 2020, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, this is tight, although on a single ticket you'll be protected on the next flight (which may not be until the next day). On separate tickets there is no chance I'd do this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 5:45 am

Programs: FB Ultimate, Accor Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond,Avis President, Hertz President Club
Hi Ben,

I would rather ensure for a connecting flight in AMS to a Long-Haul one, at least 2H. This will allow you and your luggage to have a smooth transfer.

For the anecdote, I did 2 times a DUS-AMS-CDG with 1H transfer and my luggage didn't follow me and that was a European flight.

Better to spend time on the transfer than be running for your life to catch the next flight .

Have a great day,

Alex
Old Oct 13, 2020, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you all.
We're all french citizens on our way to the US (tv crew going for the elections).
We have luggage and even oversize (tripods and such).

I will take you advice and take the earlier flight with a 4-hour connection in AMS. So much for sleeping in the morning.

Appreciate all the good advice!
Old Oct 13, 2020, 7:53 am

Even under normal times I wouldn't have any issues with such a flight on a single ticket, unless something changed (last time I flew from AMS to the US was last year) any extra screening/SSSS handling is done at the gate, but to each their own of course.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
Even under normal times I wouldn't have any issues with such a flight on a single ticket, unless something changed (last time I flew from AMS to the US was last year) any extra screening/SSSS handling is done at the gate, but to each their own of course.
Do you usually do this with or without luggage?
Old Oct 13, 2020, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Benjh
It would usually be with luggage, but just the one suitcase.
Of course if it's absolutely imperative that me and my luggage arrive at a specific time flying long-haul I'll often schedule my arrival for the day before
Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: FB Ultimate, Accor Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond,Avis President, Hertz President Club
Thank you all.
We're all french citizens on our way to the US (tv crew going for the elections).
We have luggage and even oversize (tripods and such).

I will take you advice and take the earlier flight with a 4-hour connection in AMS. So much for sleeping in the morning.

Appreciate all the good advice!
The first flight at 7:10 AF1240 is the best option for connecting at AMS.

Have a good flight

Alex
Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
1:05 is maybe a little tight for a Schengen/non-Schengen flight at AMS, but they do have a Quick Connect lane at immigration (normally, anyway - no idea what the circumstances are during COVID), and AMS is about as efficient as you can hope for (admittedly, with some decently long walks). No bus/train transfer or anything like that to worry about.

There's no D1/E1 anymore for DL flights, but AMS-IAD is operated by KL anyway, so it's like boarding any other KL long-haul flight (other than if you have SSSS, but by that point, they will have scanned your BP, so the plane won't leave without you, even if they're still doing your secondary screening).

If it's critical you be there that day, then don't risk it, but barring some snafu at CDG, I'd be fairly confident you'd be fine.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 11:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've done LHR/CDG/CPH/ARN/OSL-AMS-US with luggage plenty of times, and of all my actual (i.e., not scheduled on the lower end of the following) 30-75 minute connections at AMS, I've had bags misconnect well less than 1% of the time in the US-bound direction. On the return direction via AMS with actual connection times of the same range, I've had luggage misconnect more often but not enough to encourage me to schedule in a longer connection time. But in a circumstance of needing specialized equipment that isn't available easily and in a timely manner at the destination if there is a baggage handling irregularity, adding in more time would make sense.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Pretty tight, but I think 90% chance you should be ok, plus AMS is a major airport in the small chance you miss the connection there will be other routes to get you home.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I did ARN-AMS-IAD with a 55 min connection in July with no problems. Immigration was empty. The guard asked why we were going to the US and seemed confused but then he let us go through. If the arriving flight is on time it's no issue. IAD is no longer a daily destination so if you miss you might wait another day or have to add another connection though.

​​​​
Old Oct 15, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
If KLM sells a ticket 60 minutes connection... Do they sell it because they can make money, or do they know that it is enough time? I've seen tickets with 40 minutes connection for some flights I want to book.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 8:37 am

I had a similar connection pre-Covid and made it. It was a little close and we had to walk fast; also at the immigration line, they have people who ask for those who have tight connections to step forward and we did that. Made it with maybe 10 minutes before they closed door. A little stressful but it's possible.

I'd imagine that it's much easier these days with the lack of crowds. Just having so many people to navigate through slows down your pace a good bit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.